Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

landcruiser / toyota 4x4 pickup comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
landcruiser / toyota 4x4 pickup comparison

hello all

i realize this is entirely subjective but how much of a gap in terms of off road capabilities between a toyota land cruiser (what's the most capable land cruiser out of the box? an FJ40?) and a toyota 4x4 pickup (say something with a factory SAS)? i know cruisers go everywhere and they have cultivated their reputation on a global scale but i see pics of toyota pickups doing some amazing things everyday on this site. i'm not trying to start a war (i have tons of respect for land cruisers, wish i could afford one) but i am curious about the gap between the two (i.e. off road ability, durability in off road conditions, etc.)

it would be specially interesting to hear from people who've had both.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Toyota trucks are excellent off-road machines. ANY FJ, BJ, Hilux, Taco, T100 and 4Runner make awesome trail rigs. It all depends and what suites your needs. Plenty of aftermarket parts for these trucks. Do not let anyone tell you that IFS is crap. It is pure BS. Many Taco guys run IFS and their rigs go the same places at MOAB that the solid axle guys do.

James
Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is that the most capable Toyota 4x4 out of the box for pure go-anywhere ability would be a BJ74 with cable lockers and a 13BT diesel. Probably one of the toughest vehicles Toyota ever made as well... those things are pure BEEF. The reason this one would be my pick for most capable rig toyota ever built would be because 1) frt AND rr cable actuated diff locks 2) solid axle 3) short wheelbase 4) torque diesel motor- these things have a tonne of torque available way down at maybe 500rpm and 5) good break-over, approach and departure angles. you could even get these with a FACTORY PTO winch... how awesome is that?

Then the best expedition style 4x4 would probaly be the FZJ80- again, it was offered with twin lockers and solid axles but nice comfy coil spings and more room inside.

Nothing wrong with the hilux-minitruck platform. Especially with the solid axle they were quite capable rigs back when factory lockers were non-existent.

Last edited by Matt16; 08-23-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 PM

Flex aside IFS is not crap. They offer a nicer ride but don't take the same amount of abuse without the alignment suffering. Its hard to beat a SFA out of alignment. Especially with high steer.
Front ring & pinion is a little smaller in the IFS also. Harder and more expensive to lift. I see tham all over the trails and desert though.
IFS is here to stay. That being said, they shoud only get better and better.
You can't go wrong with a Toyota's dependability.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by desertcamper67
Flex aside IFS is not crap. They offer a nicer ride but don't take the same amount of abuse without the alignment suffering. Its hard to beat a SFA out of alignment. Especially with high steer.
Front ring & pinion is a little smaller in the IFS also. Harder and more expensive to lift. I see tham all over the trails and desert though.
IFS is here to stay. That being said, they shoud only get better and better.
You can't go wrong with a Toyota's dependability.
Agreed. But, if we are to come up with the BEST of the front axles for off-roading, then the SFA would win IMO, if for no other reason, for durability's sake.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM

I agree with you Matt 100%

What country has that Toyota in your 1st picture? I love it and want one. I'm just short enough I could probably even sleep in the back. Looks kind of like an old school Bronco. And it looks like the top comes off right to the windshield.
Sweet rig
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Offroad capability really depends on your stomping grounds. Wheelbase plays in alot and they have very different wheelbases. Some obsticles are easier in a longer wheel base and some are harder.

Cruisers will take more upgrades and abuse than a minitruck platform. The drivetrain will stand up to more mods and larger tires.

However there are MANY more parts and upgrades available to mini trucks at a much cheaper cost.

80s are extremely capable out of the box wheelers, just the rear overhang sucks.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am torn on this one, but I would have to say Landcruisers. I base this off their ability to behave much more like a tank in a stock form. They are unstoppable plain and simple. However, runners/trucks are just as capable with a few mods, (lockers, lift, tires, armor) if not more so. Landcruisers are expensive to work on, but that keeps them exclusive and sought after for the enthusiasts. Trucks are just plain fun to drive because they are like supped up ATV's.

In a perfect world, everyone would have both
Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 PM

I love my 4-Runner, but with an FJ55, 2 FJ40s, and a 1st gen and a 3rd gen 4-Runner sitting in the driveway and garage right now, I'd have to go with the FJ40. Only disadvantage is no power steering, YET...
Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
My guess is that the most capable Toyota 4x4 out of the box for pure go-anywhere ability would be a BJ74 with cable lockers and a 13BT diesel. Probably one of the toughest vehicles Toyota ever made as well... those things are pure BEEF. The reason this one would be my pick for most capable rig toyota ever built would be because 1) frt AND rr cable actuated diff locks 2) solid axle 3) short wheelbase 4) torque diesel motor- these things have a tonne of torque available way down at maybe 500rpm and 5) good break-over, approach and departure angles. you could even get these with a FACTORY PTO winch... how awesome is that?

I've been wheeling with a guy with a BJ73 Landcruiser on 38" tyres, 3" wheel spacers, lockers and 8" lift .. Thing was unstoppable, Straight 6 Gasoline engine...

This was when he got it:

And after a few mods..

Here's another guys BJ73....

Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After having a beefy 87 4runner, being around mini trucks and 4runners, and now having a FZJ80.... for me its hands down on the 80. I dont see myself ever going back to the mini trucks... dont get me wrong, I still love 'em, but the 80 just has way more to offer...

and the rear hang on the 80 is better than a 2nd gen runner....
Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 AM

ok, i think the consensus is clear: costs and the specifics of one model over another (40s vs. 80s, etc.) aside, cruisers are preferred but the 'gap' isn't huge. that is, at least from the comments here, it seems like we're talking about deficiencies (especially out of the box) in terms of hiluxes that can be overcome with mods and customizing.

alfio
Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16

I'm sold, where do I sign?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by alfio
....how much of a gap in terms of off road capabilities between a toyota land cruiser (what's the most capable land cruiser out of the box? an FJ40?) and a toyota 4x4 pickup (say something with a factory SAS)? i know cruisers go everywhere and they have cultivated their reputation on a global scale but i see pics of toyota pickups doing some amazing things everyday on this site....

it would be specially interesting to hear from people who've had both.

I've had both, and I've bounced them both all over Wyoming -

'85 Toyota Pickup - 3" lift, 31" AT's, 3rd Gen 4Runner seats and not much more....
Name:  Pic1375.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  229.0 KB

Name:  Tuskrun.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  100.9 KB

This truck was an absolute blast, just a little mountain goat. With no locker it would climb over & through just about anything. Once I swapped the seats out, it was pretty comfortable to drive. It always started, never left me stranded and cruised through deep ruts in the desert all winter long. About the only downside was the empty longbed. I had a few boxes of recovery gear back there, but not much weight, so it could get a little extra bouncy at times.

In hindsight, I should have never sold it but with a family of four and another truck (another green Toyota truck especially) in the driveway, it didn't seem to "fit us" at the time. Wish I could have taken it to Moab just once though...

I solved our "family of four loves Toyotas" dilemma when I got this 1985 FJ60 Landcruiser. 3" lift, 33" AT's, Aussie locker, custom bumpers and not much else -

Name:  HudsonTrails027.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  BlackMtn019.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  Boysen048.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  82.9 KB

I don't find the Cruiser any less capable, but it feels a lot heavier bouncing around in the bush. While the truck occasionally felt like a tin can, the Cruiser feels solid, like a tank. I've gone to most of the same places with the Cruiser that I went with the truck and again no problems.

Point a gun to my head and make me say which one is better and I would really struggle to give a clear cut winner. I just loved that truck and I could camp in the back. The Cruiser is great for hauling all of us... The only place I see the Cruiser as "better" over the truck would be in an accident of some kind. It's just more stoutly built than the truck and has a little bit better weight distribution than a truck with a 7' empty bed.

I don't think I answered your question, but it's a tough call to make. They are both winners in my book!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

^nice shots! That 3rd one down makes me wanna be there.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bagger
I've had both, and I've bounced them both all over Wyoming -

I don't find the Cruiser any less capable, but it feels a lot heavier bouncing around in the bush. While the truck occasionally felt like a tin can, the Cruiser feels solid, like a tank. I've gone to most of the same places with the Cruiser that I went with the truck and again no problems.

Point a gun to my head and make me say which one is better and I would really struggle to give a clear cut winner. I just loved that truck and I could camp in the back. The Cruiser is great for hauling all of us... The only place I see the Cruiser as "better" over the truck would be in an accident of some kind. It's just more stoutly built than the truck and has a little bit better weight distribution than a truck with a 7' empty bed.

I think you have summed it up pretty good right there...

I could never wheel with a pickup truck with a box let alone a long one! Many more trees than where you wheel!

Guys up here are now sourcing out 60 series front axles for their mini trucks (or whats left of them, more truggy than truck) because they are stripping ring and pinions (kryo treated) on a regular basis.

Last edited by FlyingLow; 09-26-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bagger
I've had both, and I've bounced them both all over Wyoming - .
Where in Wyoming were these pictures taken?
Awesome land out there.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:14 AM

Glad i found this thread.... just picked up one of these old beasts for a measly $400AU its my restoration project
heres some pics of it
The Beast runs really nice and clean for a car with 410K on the clock.... its a diesel not sure how big but the Model is definitely BJ73
Attached Thumbnails landcruiser / toyota 4x4 pickup comparison-driver-side-view.jpg   landcruiser / toyota 4x4 pickup comparison-front-view.jpg   landcruiser / toyota 4x4 pickup comparison-side-view-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009, 07:26 PM

MyGOD , steve; looka the bumper on that thing, are you expecting a
underground worm/monster?
and the flex on that bj73 is just amazing.
Lastly to Bagger, that last pro looking pic, with the red and pink and purple hews--- a little slice of Heaven , really.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:16 PM

we call em "bullbars" down here in Aussie Land... and they come in real useful if some drunk Kangaroo decides to hop infront of you all of a sudden..

Quick Reply: landcruiser / toyota 4x4 pickup comparison