RC Vehicles Discussion on remote controlled vehicles of all types

my new toy

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
had a lot of fun with this thing at work today

ran around in the parking lot during lunch with my buddy and his T-Maxx. this little brushless guy ran CIRCLES around that nitro truck, LOL! my boss even came out and watched and just laughed at the things flying across the parking lot

then at the end of the day I still had a charged lipo, so I bashed around with it in the shop and then outside, and ended up throwing a rear drive shaft off a buddy got some video of me messing around in front wheel drive on the EXTREMELY dusty floor; I'll post it up tomorrow once I get the video from him

this crazy thing is an absolute blast! one of the guys at work called it an "angry Spider Monkey", so that's it's new name; he's making me a sticker that says "Spider Monkey" to put on it

Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

couldn't get any traction at all... we really need to sweep our floors might get the new guy to do that tomorrow...

and I'm not sure what the random loud static noise is that comes out every once in a while in the video. it didn't do it on my PC, it started doing it after uploading it to YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDTvd...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-20-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

yaaay, broke it at work today!

okay not really yay... but it does give me a reason to upgrade so stronger parts was drifting around in the shop after we finished for the day, got a little cocky and tried to see how fast I could run it through the warehouse, and as it turns out that dusty slippery floor I was just drifting around on is also really hard to stop on, and I slid into a radiator support at about 30mph, lol

did do a few mods over the weekend though; put a heat sink on the motor because it was getting TOASTY, installed a full stainless steel screw kit (as you might be able to see in the photo above), install steel hollow balls in the steering and tow rod joints to get rid of the sloppy plastic ones, and also installed some Revo rear control arms to shorten the wheelbase up a little and keep the rear drive shafts from popping out any more. this weekend I'll probably be putting on a set of new stock front control arms, but I'm also going to go ahead and order the RPM front and rear control arms, as well as some RPM knuckles and probably new pivot balls as well to get rid of most of the rest of the slop

I have to admit... the fast ones are a little more fun than my crawler... poor Crawler has been neglected for a month now

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 12-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

well a few updates I guess

replaced all the arms with RPMs and have been running a set of knobby dirt course tires on it

have some RPM axles carriers coming in (should be in tomorrow actually) and a set of street tires for hitting the pavement with

took it out in the front yard today after rebuilding the shocks, and man does my dog ever hate this little thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLwCM7jgQg
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Well guys, I finally tore it up good yesterday

Was bashing it around after work by the loading dock, and one of my buddies though it would be a good idea to build a 3ft high ramp... with nothing to land on but flat solid concrete... and of coarse, me boasting about how strong it's been lately with the RPM arms all the way around and what not, had to try and show off Hit the ramp FAST quite a few times, easily catching 6-7 feet of air and flinging the truck 15-20 feet through the air across the dock, and repeatedly coming down hard and smacking the concrete. Then started messing around and full throttling off the ramp and doing back flips, lol. I was landing most of them pretty good too.

This went on for about 10 minutes before I finally came down hard and lost throttle control... Walked up to the truck and it was making a nasty humming noise like it was trying to move but was binding up. Picked it up and noticed the ESC was smoking QUICKLY snatched the battery unplugged, and in the process one of the motor wires came off the ESC...

Got home and upon inspection found that the brushless motor got so hot because I was running it so hard that the copper coils inside broke loose from the glue that holds them to the casing, fell against the magnet/armature in the center, causing it to short out and get one of the motor wires so hot that it desoldered itself form the ESC...

I desoldered everything from the ESC and resoldered everything back to it, and the ESC at least powers up and appears to be fully functional, but I know for sure the motor is TOAST. Figured it was only a matter of time to tell the truth, with the high gearing I've been running

So I decided to dig into some the the drive line and suspension and see if I broke anything else and found a shock mount screw pulled out of the chassis, taking the threads with it, so I need a new chassis (not as expensive as you might think; $15 will get me a brand new one off eBay), found a broken pin that holds the wheel hexes on (freebie; had spares ), found a broken cross pin in one of the steel CV axles (might have to order a rebuild kit for it for like $10, but I need to check my spare parts, I might have a pin that will fit), and found a wheel bearing that had a cracked outer casing (stupid thing fell apart on my desk and the ball bearings went everywhere... will probably just order a whole new set of bearings, not sure how much that's going to cost me...).

But I think for the motor, I'm not going to go with a stock replacement I'm going to do a "big block" conversion and put a 1/10th scale brushless motor in this 1/16th scale truck, since the ESC will handle it (it's a 1/10th ESC). Should be loads of fun

BUT, this is all in due time. I don't have the money for it at the moment. I just spent this months RC allowances on a Slash 4wd!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-10-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I just spent this months RC allowances on a Slash 4wd!
Jelly!

Fink
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fink
Jelly!

Fink
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f232...er-got-247606/