Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

This is kind of an offshoot from our DOM sales & its about time! We have taken way too long to bring these to market. The prices some companies charge are out of this world for these simple items so we are going to serve them notice right here!

Steering components from Ruffstuff Specialties using our own Heat & Cryo Treated Chromoly Heims or GM 1 Ton Tie Rod Ends.

I priced these out using a fair pricing model we have developed (we do have to make money or we won't be around long) but after I was done I compared our prices to several other companies and was sure I had made a misstake! Our pices couldn't be that much lower than theirs could it? I did my pricing again & again, always with the same result. Okay, our pricing is simply more fair I guess

Y Link steering

We have also uncovered some interesting Tie Rod Ends for those of you having problems with Diff Cover clearance, pretty damned cool with the same strength specs of a standard GM 1 Ton TRE...

Offset TRE Kit

They are available alone or as a kit

All of our kits using Heims also use our unique Safety Misalignment & Hex Bungs

The Safety Misalignment is also a Ruffstuff innovation and by eliminating the need for a safety washer also eliminates another potential failure point. The Hex Head bungs allow for easier precise adjustment.

All of our kits give you choices that can save you money, be stronger, and be more versatile. Look closely through the selections and make your decisions carefully. Keep in mind DOT regulations about Heims in steering. Heims are not legal in any state for highway use when used in steering. They may perform better but are not DOT approved, use your judgement...

These have been on our site for about 3 months and it really seems you like them with 6-8 sets shipping daily

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/STEER.html

Last edited by Gravel Maker; 08-09-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Time to think about beefing up your steering? Do it right with Ruffstuff
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ever going to make a toyota IFS mini truck steering kit. I'd buy it when I go long travel! All your products look top notch.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SCToy
ever going to make a toyota IFS mini truck steering kit. I'd buy it when I go long travel! All your products look top notch.
Are you thinking along the lines of a Desert long travel steering kit or a Crawling type kit?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I am leaning towards doing a total chaos caddy gen 2 kit and retain my 4wd, but their king kong steering kit is over 1000 dollars, it seems that heim joint tie rods and stronger factory center link could be made cheaper. Even just a heim join kit to replace the factory tie rods would sell I would think, as steering is one of the weaker points on stock IFS toyotas. Pieces of DOM tubing with threaded heim joints for adjustable length, at a reasonable price would be really cool for those of us without all the tools to fabricate. Could offer them in stock and extended lengths, I think the Blazeland long travel guys would benefit from this as well.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm with SCToy on this one, while the SAS/SFA guys all but completely dis on the IFS guys, some of use still like going fast on trails as well as crawling. Other then an FJ tie rod end upgrade with still having to fab up some tube etc, there are no other IFS steering upgrade options on the market without paying $1000 for the race ready Total Chaos stuff. With the cost of steering alone your a good portion away cost wise to an SAS.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM
FormerVendor

Why don't you guys give me a call later in the day when I have more time to ask the right questions and get your interpretations. LT steering has always been an issue and it isn't an easy cure.

I have been working for months with 2 companies (AGR & 1 left unknown) on a way to make a strong, quality LT steering package without breaking the bank but so far $1000 seems like a deal to me if it actually does something for bumpsteer...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Sorry didn't see the reply to this till now. I am probably not the best person to get info from as far as R&D goes, I don't know about SCToy though, can't speak for him. All I can say there would probably be a bigger market for the non-LT setup then LT setup like Blazeland has. Although both products would be awesome. As far as the bump steer goes, well we got to deal with that anyway even on a stock setup even with a decent quality after-market stabilizer. So the complete elimination of it IMO wouldn't bean issue as long as it doesn't amplify it any more. I don't know enough to say LT makes it worse or better, but I would be inclined to say worse? But I don't see a stock geometry heim setup causing any more issues with bumpsteer then we already deal with. But again I am not a fabricator only someone who knows how to turn wrenches so I could be wrong.

What people would have to keep in mind is if upgrading the TRE's/relay rod is that it now really makes the idler arm and possibly even the pitman even weaker points then they already are and an upgrade to the FA5040 arm with SDORI bushings would highly be recommended. Not sure if anything could be done to really upgrade the pitman though.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

I am a Cruiser guy so I am going to have to talk with Jeff & Jay about this one, let me get back to you...
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Sorry didn't see the reply to this till now. I am probably not the best person to get info from as far as R&D goes, I don't know about SCToy though, can't speak for him. All I can say there would probably be a bigger market for the non-LT setup then LT setup like Blazeland has. Although both products would be awesome. As far as the bump steer goes, well we got to deal with that anyway even on a stock setup even with a decent quality after-market stabilizer. So the complete elimination of it IMO wouldn't bean issue as long as it doesn't amplify it any more. I don't know enough to say LT makes it worse or better, but I would be inclined to say worse? But I don't see a stock geometry heim setup causing any more issues with bumpsteer then we already deal with. But again I am not a fabricator only someone who knows how to turn wrenches so I could be wrong.

What people would have to keep in mind is if upgrading the TRE's/relay rod is that it now really makes the idler arm and possibly even the pitman even weaker points then they already are and an upgrade to the FA5040 arm with SDORI bushings would highly be recommended. Not sure if anything could be done to really upgrade the pitman though.
Sorry I missed this for so long but we have dialed in a few steering setups on desert trucks and gotten down to 1/8" bumpsteer. To get any smaller would have taken 3 times as much time.

It turns out Garett is the whiz here on bumpsteer but it is definately a fabricated item, not one size fits all. Depends on your tire size, shock size, travel numbers...really not something to be easily explained online but in person with the truck there.

What I can say is that we are working on a LT kit with steering included but it is pretty high end and will be another 4-6 months before its fully tested. It is aimed at the racing market only but there will always be some trickle down tech useable for the on/off weekend guy...

Last edited by Gravel Maker; 09-25-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will be a little more affordable then the TC kit.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Strong and the right price...
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Do it right the first time!

Order a steering kit and get it done right the first time!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Time to step it up!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

Strong steering

Last edited by Gravel Maker; 05-08-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Tried and true!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Nothing wrong with having good, strong steering!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Smile Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

time to do it right.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

We have what you need to do it right the first time !!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Smile Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Proven performance.. Strong and simple.. !!

Quick Reply: Steering and more from Ruffstuff!