Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Switching regular window to vented

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching regular window to vented

Hey!

when I bought my truck my passenger window had been replaced with a thin piece of crappy plexy, badly cut and just sitting on the broken glass of the previous window. I found, on Craigslist, a set of vented window doors, with glass, for $100. I wire brushed, cleaned and painted the passenger door and installed it a few weeks to get the truck on the road. since my current drivers side door is in excellent shape, I hadnt even really looked at the new one. I just went out and was going to prep for painting, but it's actually in much worse shape than my current door.

now, for consistency, I want vented windows on both sides. i also love the vented windows, so there's that too. I don't want to install the whole new door, because it's dented and the bottoms rusted out on the seam.

anyone know how to remove the vent window and seals and install them in my old door? I'll probably have to remove both sets of seals, remove both windows and tracks and then work on moving the vent system over. I have seen the vent window kits online so I know it's possible.

Original drivers side door. Still has glass and is in decent shape. Missing some weatherstripping, but ill be replacing that soon
New vented window that replaced a plexiglass window that didnt fit right or sit right.
Drivers side vent window door, looked in good shape but is actually worse off than mine is.
Its dented on the outside, right above this, and this whole seam is rusted out.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You should be able to do what you're asking. The vent window is part of the main window's frame/track. You have to pull the whole thing out. It's a fairly common modification, there are a few build threads and documentations online about doing a vent window conversion.
Here's a pic of what you'll be swapping over:

here's the thread i pulled that from, first one Google brought up: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...how-guide.html