Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

busted fuel cutoff solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
busted fuel cutoff solenoid

Hello everyone!

I recently finished my 1986 2WD Toyota Pickup (4cyl, manual 4 speed) build and went out the other day to play with the carb after a few hard starts on these cold November mornings. I somehow made it worse, after cleaning and putting back together it wouldn't idle. I realized that I had somehow dented the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid, tested it in every way possibe I had found on the forums, and wasn't getting anything. I cut it open to try and rewire it (I figured I needed a new one anyway, so why not?) realized the wire that was in there was cut in several places (not sure if that matters on a solenoid like that or not) so I rewired it and tested it, and no results. I played with sticking a small needle to try and get it to move inside the unit but couldn't get much of anything to move.

The only places I can find the part are actual Toyota dealers and I can't find one for less than 142$.

Does anyone know of a better place to find one, or am I stuck with buying one of these?

If I do need to buy one of these, I was thinking of going with a Weber Carb (or some other aftermarket carb), because I can get the whole kit for 250, but have heard mixed reviews on the aftermarket carbs vs stock carb and couldn't even find if this part was actually used on the aftermarket carbs or not.

Any advice? I think since this part is shot, and I made the incredibly bold move of cutting it apart, I am SOL until I get a new one or a new carb.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was given an 85 pickup, sat behind a barn for 10 yeeras with old gas in it. overhauled all fuel lines and rebuilt the carb. I couldnt get the carb to run correctly, it was running too lean. Reasearching on here, learned that i needed to test the fuel cut solenoid.
Pulled it off, cut the wires and directly shorted them to battery, no go. So its bad? I read that some people can free them up with carb cleaner. I submerged all but the wires in carb cleaner gallon can over night, tested it again, still nothing. Then i read that some guys cut the tip off, or the brass sheeth that surrounds the center piston part (part with the oring attached) I decided to cut this sheeth off with a dremel, keeping the rod intact. after removing the sheeth i was able to free up the rod. I then tested it with the battery. Yeah it works now, dang, i wish i spent more time trying to free it up. Anyway reinstalled into carb, started engine, runs like a charm. So its running great, but then when i went to turn off the engine it wouldnt shutoff entirely, it was diseling. I have the California model, feedback type carb, i think. Sometimes the engine will shut off with limited run on, other times it will just keep running like a hit and miss motor. Because I modified the cut valve it's allowing fuel to keep getting sucked through the idle circuit, so when the engine finally stops running it will sometimes pass raw fuel into the hot exhaust where it ignites and i get a really loud and embarrasing backfire. AHHHHHHH! so now im forced to put the manual transmission into first and dump the clutch, stalling the engine, without backfires. I cant even find a dealer with an expensive fuel cut valve to purchase. I dont know what to do, I'm probably going to destroy my clutch before long. If anyone reads this and has a stock carb they've pulled and are no longer using i'd love to buy your fuel cut valve. Please contact me @ keith.brigadier@gmail.com

Last edited by Ratm3at; 04-26-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: misspelling