Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Advice regarding '80 2wd steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice regarding '80 2wd steering repair

I recently took my '80 2wd pickup in to Les Schwab to get it aligned. The mechanic working on it told me that the steering gearbox, pitman arm, and idler arm all needed to be replaced and that he couldn't align it because there was a "bent bolt" that prevented proper adjustment. I don't have much experience with the steering/suspension of my truck (or any car, for that matter), and so I don't understand the ramifications of repairs like these. I have a few questions regarding this matter:

1. I don't think it's possible that my truck has a power steering gearbox, but I wanted to check on this before purchasing a part to attempt replacing it myself - I need a manual steering gearbox, correct?

2. Is it likely that I'll be able to successfully replace/repair these parts on my own? I am not opposed to spending a day or two tinkering with these parts until I get them properly mounted, but I'm a bit intimidated at the prospect of replacing something I've never screwed around with before.

3. Is it likely that I'll be able to verify what the mechanic told me when I'm able to get the truck up off the ground for a few hours? I've been looking for a diagram of the undercarriage/steering system, but haven't had any success so far - I'm not sure that I'll do well without a point of reference.

4. Is it possible that the gearbox will be reparable? The gearboxes I've been looking at are rather expensive, and I'd rather keep costs low as I have quite a few other pending repairs to make on this truck.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitman Arm for 2WD

Went thru similar scenario. After searching over kingdom come to find a Pitman Arm for a 2WD (they are very different from the 4WD version that all the parts stores will insist on selling you), I then jacked the truck up to start replacing.

Net net, 2WD Pitman arm has no moving parts -- so any issues are likely with your Idler Arm and center linkage.

Hope this helps.