Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Shooters/Range Bags

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Shooters/Range Bags

What are you using?

Back when I got my AR15 in May of 2007, my friend Jim told me about Bagmaster, and that they were a good outfit to go with that makes bags to carry along your gear to the range or the mountains to shoot.

I did not need that big of a bag as my BlackHawk Homeland Security Discreet Weapons Carry Case (very nice case by the way) could carry several AR15 30 round magazines, so the bag I bought back then only needed to carry a few extra 20 round boxes of ammo, hearing protection, and a few odds and ends.

I had bought the Bagmaster Pro-Shooter's Bag Small.

Very nice case with a double zipper pull on top, Velcro dividers for the interior of the case, and two padded gun cases you take out and insert your gun into, then stuff them back into either a side pocket, or inside the main compartment.

Carrying the 5.56 rounds, extra 45 ACP ammo for the Glock 21SF, and other stuff has made this bag to small, plus it has no provision for the seven Glock magazines I have, they would just lay in the bag and rattle around.

Enter this new bag I just picked up (just came today), the Bagmaster Pro-Shooter's Bag Padded - Competitors Model.

I can carry the Glock in one of four padded inserts and put the insert inside of the bag, or into one of the two outer pockets.
There is also provision for eight magazines each on two of the smaller padded inserts.

I was under the impression though that the two outer pockets were padded, and that you can put a gun into them, but I was wrong.

Plenty of room now for AR15 and Glock ammo, and future 22 Long Rifle for when I pick up the S&W M&P AR15-22 MOE rifle here shortly.

This is the case I should have bought the first go around, it holds everything I need and do not need

Anyone familiar with Bagmaster too, and do you like their quality?
Their bags are made in the USA too if that matters, and IMO they are the best out there.

For comparison, here are some pictures of the Glock in one of the padded inserts with my old bag, and the second picture of the padded bag with Glock stuffed into one of the outer pockets.
While this works, it is not the most convenient.
Also you can see inside of the old bag how the Glock magazines are just laying on the wipe down towel, no specific storage for them.
Also note the dividers I have I created a smaller section in the middle (you can move the two anywhere to customize it) for hearing protection, and the 5.56 and 45 ACP ammo is on the right, while the Glock magazines are on the far left.

With the new bag there is storage for the magazines to keep them from banging into each other, and the Glock is now at home in one of the outer pockets in a padded insert.
I did not realize this bag was more than twice the size of my first one, but having the extra room will be nice.

Here is a picture comparing the size of the two bags.

Here is an inside shot of the new bigger bag with the AR15 5.56 ammo on the left, two headphones for hearing protection, earplugs in that middle section too, and an extra box of 100 rounds of 45 ACP for the Glock as I know I can run through 7 full 13 round mags pretty easily.

The outer pocket at the bottom of the picture is where the Glock is in the insert, and the other pocket near the top of the picture has another gun insert with 6 of the full mags in it.
I like to store the gun with an empty mag in it.

They also make smaller bags that are on their site called range bags that allow you to carry just the gun and a few mags, but I prefer having more capacity that their shooters bags have.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I trap shoot a lot and was looking at different bags to use that would hold 200 12ga. Shells along with all my other stuff. Shooting / range bags were looking pretty speedy so when I was in Lowes one day I bought a husky tool bag for $30.00. It's big enough for all my shells and has a bunch of small pockets for cleaning supplies. It might be something to look at if you're in the market.