Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

No Ammo = No Guns

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Ammo = No Guns

Let me start off by saying that this is in no means a political discussion.
If it turns that direction I'll axe the thread.

I was at work the other day and a buddy of mine came in saying, "Hey, good luck finding ammo for your Sig."
I said, "Yeah I know, right? I'm just waiting for the hype to die down."

He showed me a sheet of paper, not sure where he got it, but it was a plan that was supposedly outlined by Obama.

I don't know it word for word or the exact details, or whether it's even legit which is reason I wanted to post it.

Basically the new government is going to require a unique serial number to be given to each and every bullet (shell & casing).
If, after this is passed, you are caught with non-numbered rounds - each one is a felony.

That, to me, sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Has anybody else heard anything like this?
If not, what is the latest you have heard about our new President's firearm policy/rules/regs?

I think I have personally been in denial about this whole thing - I have two boxes of 9MM rounds left.
Every single store within a 100mi radius as well as any online store I've seen is sold out of the rounds I use.

If that keeps up, I honestly don't know what to do...

Anybody else hear any other rumors about a new plan?

Once again, this is NOT a political discussion and if it turns that direction I'll close it down.
I merely want to see if anybody had heard any rumors about any regulations being passed down - and if so what they were.
As well as your opinion on whether Barack will actually do anything as drastic as a nationwide ban on certain firearms/ammo.

Keep it clean folks,

Fink
Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 PM

I have a few friends in the armed services that have said the same thing. Sometime in 2010 or 2011 it's suppose to start
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
I have a few friends in the armed services that have said the same thing. Sometime in 2010 or 2011 it's suppose to start
You mean serial numbered ammo?

Fink
Old 02-19-2009, 10:10 PM

that is just plan stupid... i dont know how many bullets are produced everyday but it has to be a pretty big number and lableing all of them that is just plain dumb. the ammp companies will take a blow i will bet that...
Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM

What i have herd isn't a serial # for each one but a certain stamp of some sort for ammo. And if it don't have it you could get in trouble. This is what iv herd so dont quote me. I think its to stop people from reloading. I also herd that they are gunna start background checks for handgun ammo.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 PM

Well it was shot down before and since most of the ammo inc have spoken on this topic and stated that it would be impossible to engrave a id number on the bullet and case. This would be impossible to do. Yeah I want to know more but i just for one don't trust the nra and their views two i want to see it in print with the header of .gov

I would like to know more to so lets make it informative on what we know. This is our government and we are the voice and lets not sound stupid but be informative so we don't get our tails crossed.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sutsch13
What i have herd isn't a serial # for each one but a certain stamp of some sort for ammo. And if it don't have it you could get in trouble. This is what iv herd so dont quote me. I think its to stop people from reloading. I also herd that they are gunna start background checks for handgun ammo.
Thanks for replying, sounds like its not completely false then.
They can do all the background checks they want, honestly, I think they should do more of that.

Hopefully those of us with permits can just go up, grab the ammo, scan it and go - maybe do what they do with certain OTC drugs and scan our DL's.

I agree with a tracking method and background checks, but hopefully they won't completely take our guns away.

Fink
Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM

AFAIK, serial-numbered ammo has come up in California a few times over the past few years. Historically, it has been shot down due to unrealistic expectations and overnight conversion of law-abiding citizens (who happen to have an old box of ammo on the closet shelf) into "hard criminals".

Perhaps that's the source of the paper, or at least the material for the paper if Obama's name was stuck on some fiction to stir the pot.

I don't think there has been any real traction of this type of legislature in WDC (yet), and this isn't something the President can just formulate with an executive decree.

Last edited by Windsor; 02-19-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM

i think that it will depend on what state you live in and stuff like that...
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Windsor
AFAIK, serial-numbered ammo has come up in California a few times over the past few years. Historically, it has been shot down due to unrealistic expectations and overnight conversion law-abiding citizens (who happen to have an old box of ammo on the closet shelf) into "hard criminals".

Perhaps that's the source of the paper, or at least the material for the paper if Obama's name was stuck on it.

I don't think there has been any real traction of this type of legislature in WDC (yet), and this isn't something the President can just formulate with an executive decree.
Very well said and informative post, Windsor.
You seem to be failry well versed in this matter.

With that being said, I know there will be some changes made, but how drastic to you personally think they will be?
For example, the sale of semi-automatic rifles (i.e., AR-15, AR-10) - do you think these will suffer at all other than a price increase?

Originally Posted by aaron26889
i think that it will depend on what state you live in and stuff like that...
I agree but if something as far as a stamp for ammo goes through, that would have to nationwide due to the spread of manufacturers throughout the U.S.
As far as the punishments for owning non-stamped ammo, I could see that being varied among states.

Fink
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 PM

sorry for Arizona tho.
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....ls/hb2833p.htm

well washington state dropped it and shot it down fast.

Last edited by spanish-road; 02-19-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spanish-road

Good find.

So according to that, they are already coding them?
How can that be given that would require assumingly lengthy additions to the ammo manufacturers assembly lines?
As well as certain sort patterns for where the ammo is sent, sold and distributed?

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 02-19-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
With that being said, I know there will be some changes made, but how drastic to you personally think they will be?
For example, the sale of semi-automatic rifles (i.e., AR-15, AR-10) - do you think these will suffer at all other than a price increase?
I'm not sure exactly how anti-gun they're gonna be the next two years.

They don't have a congress full of "hardened anti-gun" Democrats as they expected. I think there will be some resistance against something like the annoying-but-pointless AWB ("Brady Bill") we had under Clinton. Something more draconian like ban-any-rifle-with-detachable-magazine will probably not fly at all.

Also, with CHL/CCW being enacted in most states in the last 12yrs, you'd think that some congresscritters would actually Get The Point.

but I've been wrong before.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 PM

thats true in Alaska they voted against it and stated that the citizens are the... something about article 2. Montana stated the same thing, along with Washington.

I did a search on it and so far i haven't found anything on the national database. I think they are going to leave it up to the states.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 PM

I know here in Cali that semi auto hand guns are gettin harder and harder to come by and in the next yr or so gun stores here wont be able to sell them. This is what my dad picked up while lookin for a new .45 semi auto
Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

I know here in Cali that semi auto hand guns are gettin harder and harder to come by and in the next yr or so gun stores here wont be able to sell them. This is what my dad picked up while lookin for a new .45 semi auto
Thankfully I've already got a good semi-auto pistol (Sig 229).
I just need to get an AR (hopefully) and a tactical shotgun.

We'll see how easy that becomes over the next few months...

Fink
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Ya my dad just wanted to get one last one before they are gone. From what he understood here in cali they were mostly after the semi auto handguns for some reason the shotguns not so much.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Ya my dad just wanted to get one last one before they are gone. From what he understood here in cali they were mostly after the semi auto handguns for some reason the shotguns not so much.
Yeah, I don't see them doing much with shotguns.
Even semi-autos - at the most they may become more strict on the barrel lengths.

I want a pump anyway so I should be okay.

Fink
Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 PM

Im going to pick up a handgun here for work; i like the glock and sig but haven't decided yet. Im going to my parents place to fire off a few of the law enforcement models along with a full auto rifle.

cross your fingers and hope for the best or could write.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spanish-road
Im going to pick up a handgun here for work i like the glock and sig, Im going to my parents place to fire off a few of the law enforcement models along with a full auto rifle.

cross your fingers and hope for the best or could write.
We use Sig's at the Department I work for.
I'm not an officer yet but I bought my own Sig, traded in two older guns and got it for about $350 brand new.

Looking for a light and a hi-cap mag now.
My Sgt has a couple fully auto rifles that are just plain awesome.

One thing I didn't think about - if I make officer before too long, I'll be able to get a rifle through the PD with no questions asked.
That might be the answer to my dilemma - we'll see.

Fink

Quick Reply: No Ammo = No Guns