Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

I need a knife....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a knife....

I want a small pocket knife. Be used mainly for self defense....Hell, I hope I never have to use it.

The reason is, there have been hell revolving around me lately. Everybody is threatening to do htis and that to me, and most threats go "Ill be there with more than a fist". If I go with my bare hands, Ill guarantee Ill lose. And I cant walk around with a meat cleaver in my back pocket.

I want a 3.5-4.5" blade. Titanium blade. Carbon Fiber handle would be a plus. Someone care to help out a member?
Old 04-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

try to make ammends with whomever you pissed off..... a knife is dangerous and unless you are sure you know how to use it, you are going to lose, and get into a hell of a lot of trouble... if its that serious i recommend talking to the police....
Old 04-03-2005, 02:50 PM

A knife might put ya in the big house. Have you considered a big can of pepper spray like the police use? They sell them at most sporting good stores. Most big cans are effective up to a 12' range. Just a thought. I bought my wife one for $12.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:57 PM

yeah dude, you get a knife into a gun fight your dead, and if you get into a knife fight and dont know how to use it, your screwed also.

I say talk to police if possible, if not, just watch your back and dont get into no dark alleys, but asking for a knife is a dangerouse thing, trust me,.

wade
Old 04-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
A knife might put ya in the big house. Have you considered a big can of pepper spray like the police use? They sell them at most sporting good stores. Most big cans are effective up to a 12' range. Just a thought. I bought my wife one for $12.
Yeah, stay away from the knife thing. Just get some pepper spray, enough to take down a couple people and you should be just fine.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with everyone else, get some pepper spray, take some self defense classes.....I know people that could take a knife away from someone that doesnt know how to wield it in 2 seconds, same with a gun....

Did I miss something, why are you getting threats and stuff anyway?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
carry an empty violin case w/ gun in it and wear a pinstripe suit
Old 04-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Pepper spray would be best.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Agreed with the pepper spray

Though I do carry a serrated 6" blade in my truck that folds into a 90 degree angle from the handle and is designed to stick out between your knuckles.

Not sure on the make of it sadly
Old 04-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm I've personaly took a 5 second ride with one of these and didn't want anymore, but have seen a few guys take a couple rides, but always end up begging to stop. The end also comes off and can be used like a regular taser. These have a laser and light on the end w/20' capability. Tho i'm going to have to agree with jim, try to make ammends or find another route to take.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:30 PM

I have had a knife pulled on my one time at a party, and i have been informally trained on how to get out of that situation and how to get the knife away from someone, needless to say, the guy pulled it, I kicked it out of his hand and beat him sensless, so a knife may not be the best way to go,
wade
Old 04-03-2005, 03:31 PM

First thing with self defence is survival. Don't let your ego or your emotions get the best of you. It will land you in jail or the morgue. Easiest thing to do is to run away. Its appicable in most situations. Just get the heck out of the way, be it a fist, knife, or bullet.
If you insist on carrying a knife know the laws and know how and when to use it. If your opponent is open handed you will most likely end up in jail if you draw the knife. If your opponent has a blade and you choose to "Go", knife on knife fencing boils down to skill vs skill and in the game of survival this isn't the smartest thing to do. If your opponent has a gun... youre in a world of hurt.
From now on, try to tread lighter on and off the trail.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by wimpywade94
yeah dude, you get a knife into a gun fight your dead, and if you get into a knife fight and dont know how to use it, your screwed also.

I say talk to police if possible, if not, just watch your back and dont get into no dark alleys, but asking for a knife is a dangerouse thing, trust me,.

wade
Actually at less than 20 feet, a knife will usually win if the knife holder is the agrressor, but it is hard to claim self-defense if you attack before they draw. I would agree on the pepper spray, although in some states, that is considered a concealed weapon as well, and can land you in some trouble with the law. Check www.packing.org for laws regarding your state. Other than that, I would say travel with a friend or two whenever possible.

Last edited by AFRunner; 04-03-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wimpywade94
I have had a knife pulled on my one time at a party, and i have been informally trained on how to get out of that situation and how to get the knife away from someone, needless to say, the guy pulled it, I kicked it out of his hand and beat him sensless, so a knife may not be the best way to go,
wade

sorry wade, couldn't resist
Old 04-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

I know hte laws. I did 6 years of Karate, along with my dad teaching me. But I need somehting more on my side. These pussies will not carry guns. I know that. But they do carry knives.

I know that if I evened the odds out (knife vs. no-knife) I would win. I wouldnt be the dumbass pulling first. I know how to control myself, and at times, the other person. I just want that extra peace-of-mind, knowing its there if I need it...
Old 04-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Aside from the whole........."do you really want a knife or not thing"..... I've done some reviews for American Handgunner and Shooting Industry on knives recently, and have been able to handle, use, and review a couple of dozen. A titanium blade will cost you a fortune, as will carbon fiber handles. My advise, for an awsome, tough, and moderatly priced all around pocket knife is the SOG X-ray Vision with the arc-lock.....cann't say enough about it. I had been carring Cold-Steel knives exclusivly for years, and after testing this knife, I changed. Haven't looked back yet.

BTW....knives aren't that great for self-defence, but thats a call for you to make.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

Ohhh...I like the SOG Flash II TiNi...

WTF does TiNi stand for Anywho?

Is the Graphite Handle wortht he extra money? What advantages does it offer, or is it just color?

Last edited by Gangus2006; 04-03-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned

probably tinanium nitride?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:48 PM

Titanium Nickel
Old 04-03-2005, 05:49 PM

The Flash II is a good knife, but in field testing it was a little less durable than some other designs.......the graphite handles are a little more durable, but really....just for looks. I didn't particularly care for the Flash II because it just didn't feel very substantial in my hand, however, that's offset by the fact that it's very lightweight. If you're into the assited opening designs, the Kershaw "Blur" is probably the best of the breed....I highly encourage you to check it out.
Get what feels good in your hand. My top picks are, like I said, the SOG X-Ray Vision, Cold Steel Voyager (not the Recon, it's overpriced crap, bad tempers on the blade, poorly designed locking mechanism, VERY unlike Cold Steel to put out something like that), just about any SpydraCo (the exception being the "Police" model, which is an excellent design....right up until you get to the texture of the steel handles, if your hands are sweaty, it'll pop right out), and the Al-Mar folders. Al-Mar knives are a little more pricey than other, competing designs, but the level of craftsmanship is a world apart from everything else on the market right now, plus....Al Mar is a really nice guy.