Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Guns... For or against?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Funny cartoon

The gun laws in CA seem to set precedence across the country. There are many that believe that lawmakers are trying to push out gun enthusiasts/businesses by piling laws on top of laws.
actually, it's the idiocy of the politicians.

imagine. wacko using an AK to shoot up kids in stockton, ca.

what do the politicians so? jump on the bandwagon to ban them. nevermind looking at the root of the problem...

contra county (just to the north east of san francisco) just banned all sales of .50 cal ammo. for what? no recorded deaths or homicide due to a .50 cal...

why? they think terrorist will use a .50 cal to shoot down an airplane...

alameda county superviso don "no guns for everyone except me" perata going through oakland passing free gun locks... why? cause he cares...

banning gun show at the cow palace (big arena/stadium) just south of san francisco. why? no deaths due to guns at the cow palace...

need i continue? there are over 21000 gun laws in the books already.

you know how friggin complicated they are?

there should be one main one: use a gun to commit a crime? go to jail. no plea bargaining down to a "unlawful display of a firearm" type BS...
Old 07-24-2004, 01:15 AM

I'm for guns.

I think that people should take responsibility of their own actions.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:21 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ldivinag
actually, it's the idiocy of the politicians.

imagine. wacko using an AK to shoot up kids in stockton, ca.
sounds about right... stockton is the @$$hole of California.... nothing but a wh*re of a university willing to spread it legs to any one who pays enough and the ghetto areas of town from which the "townies" come and rob the "rich kids" who goto that university (UOP)
Old 07-24-2004, 02:34 AM

I'm totally for guns, I've carried them almost everyday for the past five years, in the Marine corps and now at my job in law enforcement. The weapon dosn't have to be fired to have an effect on people. Its a very valuable tool of persuasion (sp). If used properly. Criminals are scared of a bullet not Pepper spray.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Pro, the Bill of Rights spells it out. Criminals should be punished, thats why we take away some of their rights when convicted, including their freedom and right to own guns. Recently several homes in my area(middle class, lots of retirees) have had three young men come knock on the door between 10:00 pm and midnight. If answered they procced to rob the folks at gunpoint. My dog is the first line of defense, but since I don't home from work until 2:00 a.m, I like to know that my wife(who is trained and e better shot than me), and my 5-year old(who is allowed to touch the guns, unloaded of course, with supervision) have a little protection. I believe that by letting my son see and touch guns, as well as go to the range with me, it takes some of the mystic away from them. He has seen what several different calibers will do to hard objects, and understands(as well as a 5 year old can) the effect this would have on the human body. He was taught at a young age all the basic safety stuff about guns, what to do if he finds one, where to hide if a friend gets one out at their house and no adults are around, who to call, etc. I test him occasionally but planting an unloaded and unoperational gun around the house.
Everytime he has found one, he has come running and yelling for me immediatley. Education is the key, not confiscation. Its almost become cliche, but when you restrict, illegally I might add, a honest citizens gun rights, you leave the guns and power in the hands of the criminals. If you were going to rob a store, wouldn't you look for one with a "no concealed weapons allowed sign" I know I would. By the same token, most responible gun owners, will monitor the situation. In most cases I will not shoot to defend someon elses property, and not always mine, only to defend life.
Aaron
Old 07-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

I am pro gun ownership rights.
I have been a member of NRA for a few years right now I am not), though I have never owned a firearm. A .22 cal pellet gun is about as close as I have gotten so far. Now that my children are growing up I feel the child-gun problems have gone away. I am going to be purchasing a firearm soon. Self defense and recreational shooting will be the uses. There is something very enlightening about camping in the open. We have had a few wierdo's approach us in uncomfortable circumstances. I would like to have a handgun around, just in case...

Last edited by SkyRat; 07-24-2004 at 11:40 AM. Reason: further thoughts....
Old 07-24-2004, 03:55 PM

Hey skyrat, I posted a question about bringing a gun to go camping in a gun forum a while back. I too wanted the reassurance of being protected...from weirdos...mountain lions, etc...but since I / you are in cali, it is illegal. I also talked to a gun shop owner and he said it is indeed illegal but people do it all the time. Guess you have to weigh the risk of prosecution vs. protecting your family. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Also, no matter how old or responsible you think your kids are...always keep them locked up.-good luck

Also...there are many shooting ranges that let you pay one rental fee (hourly?) and you can shoot whatever gun you want. Try before you buy.

Last edited by anthraciterunner; 07-24-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

What makes it illegal?
I am not saying it is not, I just want to know.
I know you cannot carry weapons into National Parks, etc.
And, I only thought it was illegal to have weapons with ammo while driving. I did not think it was illegal just to have a weapon with you when you were stopped, etc... I have not been to a shooting class at a local range, yet. My wife and I want to take one soon. One of the reasons is to learn the laws regarding firearms. Another reason was to try different weapons to see what might work well for us. Thanks Joe.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

I've been thinking about getting a handgun for recreation purposes. I plan on taking some classes even though I have shot my fathers gun when I was younger. What kind of handgun would you guys recommend for a person that only plans on using it for target ranges and peace of mind of home security (not that i would ever use it for its designed purpose)...I'd want something I wouldnt need to upgrade, something durable and good to learn on. What do you guys think?...BTW I'm a 23 year old homeowner, I dont know what the minimum age for owning a handgun is...
Old 07-25-2004, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by SkyRat
What makes it illegal?
I am not saying it is not, I just want to know.
I know you cannot carry weapons into National Parks, etc.
And, I only thought it was illegal to have weapons with ammo while driving. I did not think it was illegal just to have a weapon with you when you were stopped, etc... I have not been to a shooting class at a local range, yet. My wife and I want to take one soon. One of the reasons is to learn the laws regarding firearms. Another reason was to try different weapons to see what might work well for us. Thanks Joe.
You are allowed to transport firearms as long as it is done so in a specific and legal manner. As for california, you are not allowed to carry a firearm at all unless you are a LEO or have a permit...which is nearly impossible to get. Basically, you shouldn't have a loaded firearm unless you were at the range or in your home. You can have an unloaded gun in your car which is locked. unloaded, and out of reach of the driver. No ammo allowed in magazine. So even if you were to do this to comply w/ the laws while camping...it pretty much defeats the purpose of having a gun in the first place...protection. Definately take some classes if you have never fired a gun. It doen't hurt to go to a range in your spare time to just get a handle on shooting. Pick up a book on gun safety so you know the basics and hit up a range. All you need to have is your drivers license. If you have never fired a gun...most places will give you brief instructions on how to use a gun and basic safety issues. HAve fun and be safe.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:48 AM

a campsite is deemed under federal law to be a temporary home therefore a gun is permitted but that only if you can get the attention of the feds by going through 40 different court trials you will get it thrown out but good luck. there are all kinds of conflicting laws. I am totally pro guns but i am also pro responsibility, and pro prosecution. If you use a gun in a crime you should get 25 years no parole in 5 or any other crap 25 hard friggin years.... the politicians love to tell us they need more laws. what they need is more prosecution and enforcement!!!!!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:44 PM

I think the law concerning temporary home applies to motor homes when parked but campgrounds still do not permit you to carry under state law.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

the way you get around it, is have one person with the handgun and another with the loaded magazine. Since neither has the other half your not breaking the law.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'm for guns. I'll get to use the big boys in about a year. In the U.S. Marine Corps.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

"Definately take some classes if you have never fired a gun."

I have been shooting many times. AR-15, Colt 1911, Skeet and Trap, 30-06, .22, etc. I have never owned a gun, but been out since I was about 10 with neighbors and friends. I really enjoy it. Something about the AR-15 that allows even someone that stinks to really hit stuff. :o)

But, I need to know how to really do it, and the local laws and get experience with other weapons.
I am definately taking a class.

Quick Reply: Guns... For or against?