Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
toyotafiberglass - Sams 4door

so we did ....

picked up , and should have some installed pics soon

Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love to see the four door in pictures.

What's the wheelbase on 4 door cab? Reason I ask - would my standard cab frame handle a 4-door cab with the bed you made, or would the bed need to be even shorter? Or would a 4-door cab not fit at all on my frame without some customization?

If my wife knew of my long-term plans for my truck... HA!

p.s. Can I assume that you didn't get a chance to make a mold of the 4-door cab, since he picked up the bed and driving off in his truck!

Last edited by Rusto; 01-15-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rusto
Love to see the four door in pictures.

What's the wheelbase on 4 door cab? Reason I ask - would my standard cab frame handle a 4-door cab with the bed you made, or would the bed need to be even shorter? Or would a 4-door cab not fit at all on my frame without some customization?

If my wife knew of my long-term plans for my truck... HA!

p.s. Can I assume that you didn't get a chance to make a mold of the 4-door cab, since he picked up the bed and driving off in his truck!

I don't know the wheelbase , but I can get .
So at this point , I cant answer your questions .

the box was needed now , cab is long term , so I don't know when we're gonna do that . We're going to do the door skins next

Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 PM

installed pics

Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Thanks Corey. Turning my standard cab into a 4-door is a long-term project on my side as well, so I'm in no hurry.

Truck looks good with that new box on there.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Love those 2nd gen 4 door. Wish I could find one here in Colorado. Wonder what it would cost to have a cab imported or if I could drive up and trailer the cab here.
Slacker if you have any info could you let me know. Wife would like my 86 more if it was 4 door so we could load dogs up or when we have kids.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 AM

To my knowledge the 4door version of the 84-88 pickups was never made available for sale in North America. Maybe they were available in Mexico, but I know that they weren't in the US and Canada.

Have to get them imported from way down south or overseas. I've heard that they were available in Caribbean as well.
Best way to do it would be to hack the back end off a 4-door and weld it to the front end, so that you wouldn't have to pay to import and register an imported car.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM

To my knowledge the 4door version of the 84-88 pickups was never made available for sale in North America. Maybe they were available in Mexico, but I know that they weren't in the US and Canada.

Have to get them imported from way down south or overseas. I've heard that they were available in Caribbean as well.
Best way to do it would be to hack the back end off a 4-door and weld it to the front end, so that you wouldn't have to pay to import and register an imported car.

correct ... mostly because they we're all built right hand drive (RHD) and sold to those countries that drive on the right hand side of the road

Last edited by slacker; 01-18-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 PM

correct ... mostly because they we're all built right hand drive (RHD) and sold to those countries that drive on the right hand side of the road.

Corey this is incorrect. they made them left(LHD) in the french carribean and other countries that are LHD they also made 1st gen doublecabs LHD.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 PM

Wondering, what if someone with mad fiberglass skills and attention to detail, with a wealth of knowledge on Toyotas, took it upon himself to build a 1st Gen 4 door cab??
Or even a extra cab?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by njtrekker
correct ... mostly because they we're all built right hand drive (RHD) and sold to those countries that drive on the right hand side of the road.

Corey this is incorrect. they made them left(LHD) in the french carribean and other countries that are LHD they also made 1st gen doublecabs LHD.
I didn't know that . thanks for correcting .

Originally Posted by gmack192
Wondering, what if someone with mad fiberglass skills and attention to detail, with a wealth of knowledge on Toyotas, took it upon himself to build a 1st Gen 4 door cab??
Or even a extra cab?
possible , but it all comes down to sales .
just to build the mould for this would run ~ 15-20G .... I don't have that kind of coin to build a product on "spec"

Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 PM

15-20G

OUCH........ Doesn't hurt to dream though
Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 AM

Now all we have to do is get 15 guys willing to pre-order a 4-door cab for $2,500 each. Or 10 to pay $3,500...That'd cover your costs, labor and margin, I would guess. Right? piece of cake.
Of course, i'd like it to be a 2nd Gen 4-door cab.

Might be easier to source one from the outer regions. Here's a picture of one a guy had sent over from down under years ago. It was originally on Pirate 4x4, I think. Don't ever know what happened to it, as the original owner ended up selling it rather than completing the project:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rusto; 01-21-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM

Now all we have to do is get 15 guys willing to pre-order a 4-door cab for $2,500 each. Or 10 to pay $3,500...That'd cover your costs, labor and margin, I would guess. Right? piece of cake.
exactly ... I would do it then

Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Slacker;
I'm a long time fan of your work and your skills with fibreglass are amazing. The boys are right about the Lhd cabs on the gen 2 pickups. I've seen them in Africa, South and Central America, and every time I see one I'm scheming as to how I can get one shipped back to New Brunswick. So for now I'll have to be content with the projects that I have on the go now. I'll soon be starting a build thread for my 86 pickup. 2001 3.4 v6 OBD II, 87 cab that was in a barn in Quebec for 20 years, 85 short box from the southern states, and an 89 v6 short box frame that came from Arizona. it will be a new truck! Sorry for the hijack...keep up the great work!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hadmatt54
85 short box from the southern states

thanks for the props ... BUT

not sure why you people keep buying those rusted metal or sun baked parts .. I know , I know , there not rusted just yet , but give it a year .. and then when you factor the cost .. I don't get it ?

but I guess i'll have product when that one rusts and when your ready to buy !!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by slacker

not sure why you people keep buying those rusted metal or sun baked parts .. I know , I know , there not rusted just yet , but give it a year .. and then when you factor the cost .. I don't get it ?

Personally, I bought a very nice bed in Ohio that was brought up from AZ and never installed. The reasons -
It was much more accessible, a 5 hour drive instead of BC, Canada.
It was less money - $900 instead of your cost plus shipping
I like the original look of the inside of the bed - ribbed bottom and removable inner panels.
I'm moving back to SW Colorado where rust won't be nearly as much of an issue as it here in central PA.
It's original and my truck was a single owner before I bought it and I'm working to get it as close to original and 'new' as possible. I'm a long, long way from that, but that's my goal. An original steel bed is the look I'm going for.
The bed was the ONLY part that was rusted. Fixed that, and my rust problems are gone.

Your work is exceptional and appropriately priced. When I get to a point where mods are in my truck's future, I won't be as concerned with "original" but until
then the steel bed made the most sense for me.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Thanks , and yes , I understand the drive , and I also understand the cost factor ..
it's your truck , so what ever works for ya

sall' good ..

Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM

Sam is back .. just for pictures
he picked up some of our front fenders , replaced them , and painted ..
he also trimmed them up about 3/4" he said , just to open the wheel well a bit

Name:  SSPX2748_zps21c06281.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  SSPX2749_zps41b7ff96.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  102.9 KB

door skins are next he says

Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 PM

just came across this thread.
good to see someone is taking pictures, i always forget and then regret it down the road.

i also installed a fiberglass battery tray for the dual battery conversion, was a super easy job and looks factory.

now to answer a few questions in this thread,
the wheelbase of the double cab is exactly the same as the 2nd gen lhd trucks at 112.20 inches (mine is now 113.70 as ive moved the front axle forward a bit)
as far as i can tell the frame is identical too, so if someone were to manufacture a double cab body then the swap would be extremely easy, i would buy one if the price was decent enough

door skins are definitely next, just need to find the time to be able to leave it at the shop for a few days, but i havent got there yet as im daily driving it still.

the next time you update this thread the truck will have yet another set of different mirrors on it... stupid trees.

Quick Reply: toyotafiberglass - Sams 4door