Vendors Build-Ups (Build-Up Section) Vendors can showcase customer builds here

Toyota FiberGlass: 1st 1983 Trekker Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck is a long bed. I don't like long beds, so I'm building a shortbed out of it. I know I could probably have the frame shortened, but I'd like to see if a shortbed frame is out there first.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Youre all kinda wrong on teh wolverine part, there ARE wolverine's, but they were built on the 84' shortbed pickup BEFORE the 4runner came out (in 84.5)
I have some pics on my other computer i can dig up (it has no internet so it's a bitch to get to) but give me a day or two and i'll throw some up.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slacker
Okiyota
from what I remember .. the Wolverienes were much like the Trailblazers .. they were a steel bed , with a topper .... walkthrew .. but if memory serves me correctly .. and I dont know if i'm right , but I believe the Wolverine did NOT have a back seat .. It's been a long time . but it " rings a bell "

I have asked/trying to contact the people I use to work with .. "back in the day" to see if anyone has a pic .

here in Canada .. they were ALL (the 1 or 2 we saw ) were 4X4's .. From what I understand though .. much like the Mojave in /83 here in Canada they were ALL 4WD .. and in the USA .. they were all 2WD (so i'm told)
Right one, thanks for the info. These things seem to be the Phantom of the Toyota Line, with everyone having a different story on them!

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Youre all kinda wrong on teh wolverine part, there ARE wolverine's, but they were built on the 84' shortbed pickup BEFORE the 4runner came out (in 84.5)...
Not so sure you are correct on this part Greg, the first 1984 4runners were available to the public in October of 1983, and i know this for a fact because i have the door tag from one with the build date of September 1983. So if thats the case it would have been impossible for them to be B4 the 4runner in 84.5 if the 4runners were released in 83.5???

Old 08-09-2007, 07:47 PM

Here is a little more info i just looked up to help validate what i was saying above...its from here

Trekker & 4Runner

Toyota and the Winnebago Company formed a joint venture to develop a mini-truck version of the 4 wheel drive recreational vehicles which we now call SUVs. Toyota supplied bare pickup truck chassises without a bed and Winnebago created a all-fiberglass body to go on the rear. This vehicle was called the Trekker 1 and was the predecessor of the Toyota 4Runner. The production run with Winnebago lasted from late 1979 until late 1983.

Concurrent to the Trekker production run, Toyota was working with other vendors on similar prototypes called the Toyota Wolverine and Toyota Blazer. These very rare trucks are similar to the Trekker, but have subtle differences.

In 1983, Toyota took over production of the Trekker and renamed it the 4Runner which first hit the streets in October 1983 for the 1984 model year. Toyota jettisoned the fiberglass body design in favor of steel, but they retained the removable fiberglass top.

Hopefully all of our combined "knowledge" will help someone in the future!!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:01 AM

I believe you in every way, but the trailblazers were based off the 2nd gen pickup line, not 1st gen... got to find those pics...
Old 08-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
I believe you in every way, but the trailblazers were based off the 2nd gen pickup line, not 1st gen... got to find those pics...
Dude, i own a Trailblazer, i can assure you it is a 1st gen. Pics of it are on page 3 towards the bottom.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
ok ...

so apparently ... the rear hatch lock (original) is still avaliable ... as well as the rear hatch hinges ..

I was chatting with a fella the other day , and didnt get the info ..

does anybody know #'s .. or do I have to call this fella back .
Old 08-11-2007, 01:28 AM

Must Subscribe, Must Subscribe.....
Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Okiyota
Dude, i own a Trailblazer, i can assure you it is a 1st gen. Pics of it are on page 3 towards the bottom.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Cool pics man! I have seen most of those. They are all Trekkers except for the first one (as far as i can tell), that is definitely a second gen truck. I wonder if it is a custom (home) job or not. Do you have any more pics of it, i would like to see what the badge on the side of it says, does it say Trailblazer??

Slacker: Sorry for clogging up your thread!!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 PM

those are some cool pics ... I love the original ad ! specs .. wicked .

i'm wondering the same on the 84 style .. it obviously has the 4 runner sides , on a "truck" cab , the cab vent is a give away there .. but not the 4 runner top ..

I also wonder about the badges ??? it looks like the Trailblazer badge location .. hmmmmm !!!!! could it have been another conversion by Griffith ?

anyway ...

it's now looking like a Trekker thread so NO worries ... BRING ON THE INFO .. should be a good search thread.

just a note .. on the one I'm doing ...

It' is now sitting back on the frame .. sides have been extended to a LONG box , and tub has now been stretched to a long box .. just working on the topper now .
Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Okiyota
Cool pics man! I have seen most of those. They are all Trekkers except for the first one (as far as i can tell), that is definitely a second gen truck. I wonder if it is a custom (home) job or not. Do you have any more pics of it, i would like to see what the badge on the side of it says, does it say Trailblazer??

Slacker: Sorry for clogging up your thread!!
Nah thats the only pic i have of the blue one, the owner posted a picture up on 4x4 wire probably over 4 years ago and i saved it....
There was another one on ebay last year but kawasaki green, with the same roof on it, forgot to save pic's tho, so it's def. not a one off.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Smile

Shot at 2007-08-12

Thought I would throw in a pic of my old trekker, It was a great truck it was the first of six toyotas Ive owned now.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:09 PM

soon ..... you gonna wish you had of kept it ..
Old 08-12-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Where's the pictures?? ...I am curious to see how the stretch version comes out.

ok ...

so I dont normally post pics "during" the build ... in a raw state such as this .. but hey .. what the hay

here is the bottom of the tub ... extended .

EVERY piece of metal in the bed was rotten .. there was only a couple of pieces left .. This was the WORST failed part of the whole unit ... 22G Original .. I replaced with 14G

and top side

The bed sides have now also been extended ... inside is now complete ..

still have to "work" the out side

and as it sits today

Just cut the topper/canopy .. and ready to find some new side glass , and bond the to pieces together .. then its time to do the final outside prep. ..

Originally Posted by ocdropzone

How is the rear window frame on yours? I am about to replace the rear plexiglass again. I used 1/4" but it has developed cracks. I am debating about going to Lexan (strong but spendy) I am thinking that maybe the gas struts I have might be too strong for the frame and is stressing the plexi....

Plexy wont work for long .. it will always "crack" .. dont waste any more coinage ... Lexan is the only way.

I have ordered a 4x8 sheet ... I will get 3 rears out of it

I need one for this job , one for my own .. and will have 1 left over "for sale " .... you live close enough , it might just be worth it for you to buy .
Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM

Corey why do you always get to have all the fun with stuff like that? It's gonna look sweet when it's done!
Almost looks like u want to add a bubble window in the back like the old 70's Vans LOL to be nostalgic.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM

I always say .. i'm VERY lucky , getting to do what I love to do ,for a living .. I love MY job .... I'm havin' so much fun , it just can't be happin' ..

I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog ..I'm a lucky dog .. hahaha

Last edited by slacker; 08-12-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:25 PM

so now I have built a complete metal frame support for the Trekker body .. it's "tacked" and ready for final welding .. it's comming .
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
looks amazing! deffinatly a new twist on the Trekker, cant wait for more pics!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:56 PM

so got to work on the topper/canopy ..
cut and now "loosly" spliced .. I started looking at the bolting strips .. Man , they are just a balsa wood material .. I dont know what the hell , but totally trashed ..
so I stripped them out as well

fell out in pieces , no wonder the roof bounces like a drum

NEW ones I made from spruce .

ALSO

every piece of steel (22G) was TOTALLY rotten .. so I replaced with 14G and also ZINC'd them

and now its ready ..

and finished the inside .

Quick Reply: Toyota FiberGlass: 1st 1983 Trekker Build-Up Thread