Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

Need a mechanic friend in the Antelope Valley, CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a mechanic friend in the Antelope Valley, CA

Hello everyone, I'm new to the offroad world and Toyotas in general. I have a 95 4Runner 5speed 4x4 152k bought from the original owner. It's my only vehicle for the time being and it's not running. I was hoping I might be able to find a member on here that is knowledgable on such things that lives near by and could help me out. I'm a pretty good mechanic just quite unfamiliar with this motor. I live in Rosamond, CA it's on the north end of the Antelope Valley. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this and other Toyota forums with minimal luck and I'm loosing my mind and patients. Thank you to all that reply!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Won't run? Can you be more specific does it start @ all. If your a good mechanic you can probably be walked through a repair. Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 PM

When I got the truck it had been sitting for 2 years. Did a general tune up (plugs wires cap and rotor) got it running. Then got a new cat, fuel filter, and had the injectors cleaned. It was running but really rough (lacking power, stuttering on acceleration, backfiring, and misfiring). Tested quite a few parts everything tested fine except the ignition coil. The replacement one tested the same maybe it was bad too? But the truck still ran the same. I then advanced the timing via the distibutor and it ran much better for the most part untill a few days ago and I took it in the mountains and it refused to start after sitting for maybe 15 minutes. Finally get the truck started and it dies on me probably 6 times before I get home( less than a mile). I've done a compression test all cylinders test great 155-160. I've searched for these issues and found maybe TPS is the issue haven't picked up a new one yet. I pulled the distributor out to check if there is any play in the shaft as says the heynes manual. And now it will not fire up and is throwing a code 12. The plugs look like I had the timing advanced too far so they might fouled out now. When I pulled the truck into the garage to do the last bit of that it sounded better than it has since I've owned it untill it warmed up in the slightest bit then sounded like it was misfiring and when the pedal was put all the way to the floor it got to about 2500 rpms and gurgling and dieing. And now I'm here asking for some local help and/or internet help.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 PM

Code 12 gives you a good starting point, go through this checklist http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...12onvehicl.pdf this a factory service manual here's the root http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ I'd ditch the Haynes.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by brianh699
Code 12 gives you a good starting point, go through this checklist http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...12onvehicl.pdf this a factory service manual here's the root http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ I'd ditch the Haynes.

Thank you. Now i just have to find some one with an ECM to swap with mine. haha
Old 06-23-2013, 12:29 PM

there was a place in Sylmar called LA Toyota a few years ago, that only deal with Toyota used parts. Pull your ECM, pull the numbers off it, and try and give them a call. They are/where located down near the other pic a part places. If not, send a pm to Deathcougar, a member here who works at a toyota/lexus wrecking yard in Wa. He can prolly find you 1, but as I said, you need the numbers off of your ECM for a match.