Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

Mechanic won't install Old Man Emu parts??? need an installation shop: Roanoke, VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanic won't install Old Man Emu parts??? need an installation shop: Roanoke, VA

So, after lurking these forums for probably 5 years I finally decided to go ahead and throw an Old Man Emu setup on my 2002 4runner. Ordered everything from Toytech and sent my truck to a trusted mechanic my dad has used for years and deals with Toyotas all the time. I am also having him change the timing belt, water belt and serpentine belt while he's at it.

To try and make a long story short I just got off the phone with him and he said he doesn't feel comfortable installing the OME lift because of the extreme angle it will cause of the tie rods, CV joints, etc. He said he's afraid I would drive it out and something would fall off or break and he would be liable. I did buy the Diff drop kit as well and tried to explain to him that this should limit some of this increased angle and stress as well. He even said he didn't think the front tires would even sit level once this was installed. He said he thought they would be towed in and riding only on the edge.

I guess my question is does this guy just not know what he is doing when it comes to non Toyota OEM suspension and is just not willing to install it or is this a bad idea to try to bolt on these OME parts in general. Obviously hundreds if not thousands of Yotatech members have this same or similar setup so I have to assume it is safe and will not leave my truck riding on the edge of the tires or not disintegrate when I drive it.

All that being said, I still want to install the OME parts but obviously need to find someone else to do it. I'm not a mechanic nor do I want to try to be. Does anyone know of someone in the Roanoke, VA area that is reputable and willing to install this for me?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM

i'm kinda in the same boat...

i bought a ironman setup for my '88 4runner.

i'll take it to my toyota guy and see if he'll install with the bj spacers i have, too.

my toyota guy does great work with OEM but some shops don't want to do aftermarket.

there is a toyota only shop about 30 minutes away from me but the logistics of drop off and pick up are a nightmare for me.

good luck.

joel
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Why dont you install it yourself. Its not ,really, hard at all. Get a buddy, buy a sixpack and in half a saturday you will be done. Tell your mechanic hes FOS! there will be a bit of increased camber and CV angles, but nothing that a good alignment wont take care of. Just a hint dont take it to be aligned at a tire store. Take it to an alignment shop that does this all the time. Try to find someone who deals with lifted vehicles.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
With sue-happey America, I don't blame him one bit. Every shop can decide what they are willing/unwilling to install, and you have to respect that. Telling a mechanic he is FOS is just unnecessarily burning a bridge. If he is good with the timing belt swap, let him do that. Then either do the lift yourself, or take it to a 4X4 shop.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Maybe FOS is a little harsh, but I would find another mechanic. Better yet get a manual and some tools and do your own timming belts/waterpump etc. The problem with many mechanics, I being one, think they know everything.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM

You do need some specialized tools to do the struts. Not really the first thing a newbie should tackle but find another shop. I had 10.5" of front wheel travel on my 3rd Gen and never broke anything. Your setup will be milder.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm looking for a true 4x4 custom shop in the area. I know of one but I'm not 100% sure how reputable they are. The mechanic I used for the timing belt, etc is a good trusted mechanic I just think he didn't felt comfortable bolting non OEM parts on, which is fine. I would rather him not do it than do it and then not do it correctly. I'm sure I can find someone willing to do it.

My dad and I did switch the timing belt on my 92 4runner and not 2 months later it got a little warm and ended up burning out a cylinder. Don't know if it was something we did wrong or if it was just some leftover issues with the head gasket recall they had on those engines.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by LarsDennert
You do need some specialized tools to do the struts. Not really the first thing a newbie should tackle but find another shop. I had 10.5" of front wheel travel on my 3rd Gen and never broke anything. Your setup will be milder.
This is the only special tool I needed to install my suspension.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Yes indeed I have to also agree in these sue happy times with way to many lawyers .

It all depends how and what kind of clauses are in your mechanics liability insurance.

As most all lift kits I have seen over the years have a disclaimer stating for Off Road Use only!!

That is why most 4x4 off road shops need to charge such a high labor rate just to cover the insurance. Also why so many close the doors after a year or two.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Death Cougar nailed it....liability.......he simply does not want to be liable when installing your parts.
Much like wally world not installing any tire size other than stock and discount tires plug area being about 4 inches wide in the middle of the tire.
Kenny s
Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 AM

Liability will be the death of freedom in this country.

What spings did you get for the front OME shocks? What are you using to lift the rear? 5-pack dakar leafs? Both with only add like 1.5-2.5 inches of lift to each side. this guy is nuts if he thinks it's going to be dangerous. Do you have extended rear brake lines? I could see how he would get nervous about that? My mechanic had to ghetto rig my stock rear brake so i could put on my AAL.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Im sorry but this is pure laziness... Why dont you do it? I've done about 2 lifts on my own and helped about 3-4 with lifts and they're seriously a few hours of work, and a few beers. All it takes is a spring compressor that you can rent at autozone for a full refund. not to mention Harbor freight sells a 305 piece socket set for about $120 bucks on sale that has a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Invite some buddies over, and get it done.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM

The one place I asked quoted me at $600 for install. I did it myself after that.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Although.... the ome struts were a litte tough to work with using the spring compressor because the body was so wide and close to the spring. Its possible with some thinking.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The install isn't that bad, however I had the front springs installed to the strut by a 4x4 shop (I think it cost $60). That's a lot of stored energy to be messing around with.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM

finally a consensus of yota heads that agree with me that the dude should do his own work. Thats what I been saying all along. Find some local guys, im sure if you put out the word you can find someone, on this website to help you. If I didnt live, like, 2500 miles away I would. Somebody help this guy to learn how to work on his own rig! Just my 2c.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM

What scares me about folks that have no desire to work on their own rigs is that when they get stuck in the woods they have to wait for someone like me to come along who isn't afraid to pick up a wrench.

Commenting mostly to keep this thread up in hopes of you finding someone local to help you.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyOregonKid
Commenting mostly to keep this thread up in hopes of you finding someone local to help you.
Ditto to that.. I will say that I had to start small on smaller, minor mods and repairs before I got into other bigger stuff. The biggest issue with front shocks/struts is compressing the spring. The autozone rentals will bend while you use them. If you are not comfortable with that then do what I did and buy the top bracket from a part out and then take the shock, coil and bracket to a shop that will compress the spring and assemble them for you. At that point all you have to do is take off the old setup and install the new one yourself. That would be fairly easy.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:16 AM

Iron Pig in Fredericksburg VA is about as 4 X 4 shop as it gets.
if your not comfortable putting this lift on then take a road trip and get it done while you wait. these guys a nice people they might let you hang out and observe so you have an idea what to do when you decide to go bigger later.
http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/