Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

Engine Rebuilder in New Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Rebuilder in New Mexico?

Hello!

I've got a 1994 with the 3.0L that blew a head gasket over the weekend. The rig's got 200K on it so I figure it's about time for an overhaul anyway.

I'm in Roswell and can't really locate anybody down in this part of the state as far as rebuilds so I'm thinking about Albuquerque. There's a guy named "Grant" on Rankin who advertises on Craig's List and there's a place called A Reliable Engine Rebuilders. Does anyone have any experience with either place?

Plan "B" is to get a long block and have that installed but will probably have to do this in Albuquerque also unless I want to pay dealer labor fees!

I see a number of positive threads on Oregon Engine Rebuilders and Toyota Truck Part. But is there any certain place I should specifically avoid?

Thanks, all!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White4Runner
I have the same situation with my 95 2WD and I'm going with these guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

It takes awhile, but read what all they do to the engine and see the equipment they use to get it done

They seem to do it all. 100% rating on ebay, 3 year warranty, free shipping both ways and they are easy to talk to.

Harry
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Try this:

The ebay item # is 220345023798 in case the link won't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Harry
Old 01-23-2009, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the link. That looks like a pretty extensive rebuild like something you'd get from ATK or Jasper. But this gets back to my original problem of having somebody local swap it out for me. I assume the swap would actually be the easy part and any decently-equipped garage should be able to handle it but I'd prefer to use somebody who's actually done it before or is at least familiar with Toyota vehicles.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...=null&address=

That's the home page for Car Pro's. Ask for Rick and let him know what you've got and what you need done. Very good prices and damn good work.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:47 AM

Just as an update, I towed the rig over to Grant Harvey's shop on Rankin right off the I-25/I-40 split. Grant replaced the head gaskets and got me back on the road for $1,200. I've since put about 1,500 miles on the 4Runner with no further problems.

If you need Toyota engine work in the Albuquerque area, you might want to give Grant a call. He advertises on Graig's List, by the way.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Well, poof goes the head gasket again!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not even two years?! What brand gasket went in, and did he use NEW head bolts/studs?!

Hope you get it fixed cheap, and well!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I made the mistake of having Grant rebuild a 22re for me last year.

My "new" motor leaks oil and uses oil. I had to take it back right after it was done for a leaking rear main seal, I found bolts that were not tight and on and on.

He talks a good motor but I will be building my own from now on...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by nmtoy

My "new" motor leaks oil and uses oil. I had to take it back right after it was done for a leaking rear main seal, I found bolts that were not tight and on and on.

Yikes!

I have found Grant to be very friendly and he got my rig running without too much hassle and the price certainly seemed rigth at the time. But now that the head gasket's blown again I'm starting to look for other options.

What other shops does anyone recommend in the Albuqueque area? I live south of there and nobody in my town is too familiar with these rigs so I'm going to have to trailer it up to get the engine fixed again.

TIA!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by nmtoy

Does Grant actually do any machine work himself? I'd guess he farms out all his boring, surfacing, etc.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Not trying to defend Grant, specifically but that might help explain some of the issues...
Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 PM

I have been a bicycle mechanic for the last 25 years. I work on alot of really high end bikes $5-10,000 range. I expect more than oil leaks, loose bolts and
shoddy work that takes alot longer than promised when I am paying for it.

My mistake was that I didn't want to build the motor in my garage in 90-100 degree weather. I have a spare block to build now and will use mostly enginebuilder parts and have a friends machine shop in Santa Fe do the Machine work.

He does not do his own machine work, the block he put in my truck had one of the lower rear corners broken off and has a bolt with a nut and washer to connect the trans to the motor.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Grant

I know this is a very delayed response, but I have some info on Grant Harvey. He is all round good guy and mechanic. However, it isn't the best idea to bore 4runner engines. The cylinders are case hardened. Meaning that once you bore the engine, you are removing the hardened material. This is a big reason it takes the cylinders on many 4runners near eternity to wear out. There is a guy named Randy in Rio Rancho that is a great mechanic. He owns a shop named Rio Rancho Imports. He worked for Toyota for many years and has an incredible amount of experience with 4Runners.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 PM

Grant in Alb. screwed me.

I took 22re to get rebuild by Grant in Albuquerque. basically, long story short.... he gave me a engine made up of at least 3 others... and used pistons, crappy head, worn cam, etc... I tried to have him make good on it, but he told me a story.
right when I first put motor in there was a massive oil leak streaming out of head gasket. Then after that... a lot of valve noise and smoke. after he took it in and worked on it. Then, power was horrible, etc... he claimed that it must have wrong rings and worked on it. Said he replaced the block, and head. well..... smokes, knocks, and I gave up. asked for a refund... and I got the option that he would give me new pistons, rings, and I could go take it to someone else. I laughed, then got pissed. I asked for full refund, keep in mind... only put a total of 4000 miles over complete duration... while it was smoking he said that would go away. haha... then on top of that.. got pissed and slammed my door which broke glass. I had to leave because I was about ready to go to jail. I left... i called him next day.. he told me to go to hell!
I told him I thought I was already there!

While I do not like to speak ill against anyone... I feel it is my responsibility to educate people....
Old 06-14-2015, 05:50 AM

I am a mechanic in Albuquerque. I have changed plenty of 3.0 even at home. the jasper motor is going to be the best motor you can get but, expensive $3500-4000 just for the motor. then I would recommend the install kit. and they do require that you replace the engine oil cooler with the replacement of the engine another $300-500. then they also require a valve adjust not to long after install just to maintain the warranty. By no means am I trying to steer you away from their product, most likely the closest thing to factory you can get, and they will stand behind their product. Just so you are aware that long block replacement books out at about 25 hours of labor.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:34 AM

Grant Harvey in Allb. NM- BEWARE!!!!

BEWARE of Grant Harvey in Albuquerque, NM - Toyota Engine Repair!!!!
He screwed me over big time as well. He's a sweet talker - says how he's been working on Toyota's for 30 + years. I cannot tell you all the things wrong when I picked up my '96 4Runner. I had him put my '89 4Runner engine in the '96. He talked a good game prior and fed me all the right lines. He charged me $1200 and kept my old '89 4runner... hey great deal to switch out the engines right?

He's cost me big bucks and now I'm stuck with a truck my mechanic won't touch as Grant put all kinds of mismatched parts on this engine.He didn;t just take my old '89 engine and components out and put them in the '96 - he took all components off and tossed them into a pile of other year components and put whet the heck he happen to grab form the pile back on my engine. BIG MISTAKE GRANT! Also super sloppy and careless workmanship!

- drove it home 4 hours from Alb. - it started to chug half way home - turns out he had put 20 yr old spark plug wires on it. They we're NOT the ones that were on my '89 engine. One wire was disconnected, hence the chugging.

at this point I got nervous and began going over the engine to see what else he screwed me on:
- When I got home I checked the oil - 2 quarts. they never completely filled the engine. Lucky it didn't burn up.
- my battery was gone, he put in a battery that was stamped "blemish" - totally weak and under charged.
- battery clamp missing
- missing skid plate
- missing random bolts
- a large bolt was stuck on my window wiper - I noticed this about 45 minutes into the drive home
- he supposedly replaced the timing belt - within 2 weeks it was rattling like mad; my mechanic in Durango inspected it and found a partially tightened bolt (as last 1/2 inch of threads were smashed) on one of the tension bearings - it had almost been severed by bearing housing - was cut half way thru. My mechanic replaced timing belt - cost to me $800
- fan housing was cracked in half - missing lower portion
- missing wheel well skirts

main seals and valve cover gaskets, he supposedly replaced, were leaking like mad by the time I got home.

Though the main problem was this...
Parts were put back on my engine that were not from my engine- in my mechanics words.. "it was FRANKENSTEINED"
- power steering pump did not line up with bracket - it was not my pump - ok drilled whole got it to fit - pump pulley now doesn't line up with fan housing pulley - going thru fan housing bearings like butter. took it 5000 miles to go out - another $500.

I have since stopped driving this vehicle and am sitting on it for now - the engine from my '89 had only 223,000 on it - so it should be fine; but Grant screwed the pooch and has since left me high and dry.

long story short - he's a thief, a liar and has CRACK HEADS doing his work - he frankensteins engines back together which my mechanic told me YOU CNNOT DO - as there are slight differences in the various years ; i.e. brackets, etc.

Grant Harvey talks real nice, but lies through his teeth.

Last edited by Dgodrummer; 09-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]guys the problem lies with the rapp around exhaust
There is to much heat at the #6 cylinder ,that's why these 3.0 blow head gaskets
Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 PM

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]guys the problem lies with the rapp around exhaust
There is to much heat at the #6 cylinder ,that's why these 3.0 blow head gaskets
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM

Just wondering if any of you know if this is the Grant you speak of.
I haven't dealt with anyone in NM yet, and I'm looking for an engine to build myself.
Just would like to know if this CL add is one to avoid in case I buy an already built machine.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pts/5492747789.html

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuilder in New Mexico?