03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Tylers build thread, video's every trip

Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tylers build thread, video's every trip

Hey all, I have been a member for a little while but I haven't really been playing with my 4runner that much due to trouble with the misses. Now that the trouble is over and I dont have to worry about the lady telling me no anymore I am out to modify my 4runner to do offroading and max out my local area. I know its going to be pretty hard to do since I live in an area where there is very little small trails and quite a few impossible area's.

So far on the truck I dont have much done. I put on 245/75r16 (skinny stock height) goodyear duratrac's. They have done their job with valor and I have even convinced 3 of my 5 welding classmates to buy sets for their trucks since I drove circles around them in AWD mode in the snow. Little did I want to tell them that their trucks just suck compared to a stock Toyota.

Next on my list of goodies is going to be a small lift and a new tire size. I am hoping at minimum to go up a couple inches from a 30.5 inch tall tire to a 33 inch tall tire. I have seen a bunch of horror stories about rubbing and such but I am a welder so I should be able to conquer these as long as I know what I am getting into ahead of time. This is my daily driver (until my supra is running again) so unless i go buy another temp car I need it to run EVERY day. Preferred size to run would be LT315/75R16 which is 34.6" x 12.5r16.

I am going to do the absolute stupid thing right now and build myself a couple spacers to go on my coils and replace them with the lift kit with fox shocks later. I dont have the money to do the proper lift till later this year. Should have it once the supra is back running I am going to put 3 inches front and 2 1/2 rear (there will be weight back there soon to equalize this) and the lift kit will probably solve most of my issues later on with full flex and drive-ability.

If I replace the bumper to a high clearance front and rear bumper setup, do you think I will have issues with rubbing even on those big stock sizes? I know I will have to shave the body mount and get rid of all the mud flaps. I dont want to run a bigger rim since I am happy with everything else but I see I might have to change the stock offset for the tire to clear. Hints and advice are greatly appreciated.

I am also knowing that when I increase my tire size, I will have to regear. I picked this size because according to a calculator I will be just under a 4.56 gear ratio and I dont know if I can find a 35.5 inch tire to make it exact yet. I am thinking at the regearing I should throw in the arb locker front and rear (since I dont do anything half ass) and this is why I wont be able to do the lift till the supra is done. I estimate around $4000 dollars with tires and rims and lockers (if I get a sweet deal on the tires and rims) And it looks like the tire package from Tirerack will be 1500 plus shipping... which is 700 bucks lol. that should leave enough for the lockers.

I am starting to blabber and repeat myself so here is my video I said I would include. this is how the truck sits right now.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 AM

I found that after removing the catalytic converters the truck sounds way throatier. Tell me what you think. this hill is 40-45 degree's from horizontal. The guy who was shooting it sucked at keeping the phone level with the ground. I want an app for the next run.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM

I just got off the phone with fox shocks regarding air shocks for all 4 corners. Technically they are nitrogen filled so they can be adjusted so I am not sure if they will be what I am looking for in this regards. Plus side I know what I am going to put on my supra lol. they will be great for that since one of the issues is clearing the shocks. I can move the mount slightly and they aren't huge so they will work perfectly.

$450 dollars each. Adjustable if you can carry around nitrogen lol.