Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowshredder555
Clutch shipped...hope it's here by the weekend.
Good deal, your gonna have this knocked out quick.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
NICE! Daikin is a Japan Made Product, made for many Japanese Manuf.'s(But they were bought out by Exedy, which still has some Japan ones...but most are China now, at least that's what some of the resellers I've spoken to have told me ) lol....... My local dealer wanted to sell me one for 289$, lol..... I saved big on mine, too... but DANG they've gone up in just the last 2 years, I can't believe it! ..... But you SCORED! Great buy!
I thought it was a good deal too so I jumped at it. Tracking info says it should be here by tomorrow. Also, its suppose to be all OEM, so we'll see for sure.
Originally Posted by jason in tn
Good deal, your gonna have this knocked out quick.
It probably won't get done this weekend, I still have other parts I need to round up i.e., master cylinder, slave cylinder and rear main seal...possibly a new clutch fork (pending current condition). The flywheel will also need resurfacing so my chances are better to tackle this during the week to get it all done in one day.

Then, not this Saturday, but the next I'm going wheeling again. Finally talked the boss into a trip. It seems most people I go with like to do it on a Sunday, and that day for him is for the family. Gonna hit WoodPecker again and this time, I'll take more pic's.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Be nice for you to get out and wheel with somebody different, supposed to be making a trip out with some new guys around the end of the month. Hope the clutch job is as painless as it can be for ya.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Be nice for you to get out and wheel with somebody different, supposed to be making a trip out with some new guys around the end of the month. Hope the clutch job is as painless as it can be for ya.
Thanks Jason. I've been inviting the boss since I started there and it just never seemed to mesh with the days. I couldn't tell ya what's different this time around cause I know at least one invite was on a Saturday. I know I enjoy hitting the trail and I'd think it'd be the same for him too.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM

All I can say is enjoy! !! And take lotsa pics.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 PM

New Parts came in...

So brown made me happy today...Opened the box, expecting maybe only one item to be Aisin...possible disappointment diverted:

So this is what was in the box:

I tried to get the hologram with my phone's camera..normally it does pretty good...guess it's the hologram effect it couldn't capture:

And a shot to show where they're made...After seeing all the made in Japan, I'm a happy camper:

Chef- Guess this kinda shows the made in Japan Aisin cluthes still exist. At least for the next time you have a vendor you could order from...God forbid you ever have to swap the clutch again. And the link from the previous post would work for anyone else who wants a genuine replacement clutch.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm, yeah, ... SWEET! lol..

I just heard, through a buddy who works 'Steel Trade' for Toyota, "Aisin/Japan is SCREWED right now.... Most of what's coming in is new/old stock, but they still do put out.... Just depends on what people will PRE-PAY and how many they order!,........

Maybe that place isn't making much profit and that's how? I wouldn't know.... Either way, I'm stoked for ya!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Hmmm, yeah, ... SWEET! lol..

I just heard, through a buddy who works 'Steel Trade' for Toyota, "Aisin/Japan is SCREWED right now.... Most of what's coming in is new/old stock, but they still do put out.... Just depends on what people will PRE-PAY and how many they order!,........

Maybe that place isn't making much profit and that's how? I wouldn't know.... Either way, I'm stoked for ya!
I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't concerned till I opened the box. And thank you, Chef, I'm pretty stoked too...now if I can just get the other parts as Aisin and a problem free install, all will be good.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Best of luck with the clutch swap. Nice piece of mind knowing you've use all quality parts. Should last a long time.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Hey, do you get up to the AZ strip much? I'm gonna be out that way later in the spring, would be cool to wheel with another 3rd gen.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Hey, do you get up to the AZ strip much? I'm gonna be out that way later in the spring, would be cool to wheel with another 3rd gen.
Where is the Az. strip? I haven't lived here very long so I asked my boss and he's not sure where you're refering to.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Hey Bud, ....

He might be referring to the Strip by ASU.... IT'S HOP'N! lol. It's like party portion of Santa Barbara or many other places... But it's also FULL of things to do/places to shop when you're NOT partying during the day/evening, lol. I could be wrong, I guess we'll find out, haha.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/hotlist...tempebars.html

However, I doubt it, reading his post... He might be talking about a place to wheel, solely! hahaha.

Oh well, it came up, so I thought I'd have some 'nostalgic reflection'! lol.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM

clutch update...

It's personal now! Didn't know I'd have to remove so much crap just to get the tranny out. HOLY CRAP!..that's all I gotta say. I figure, a couple/ three hours each night after work and it should be back in before the weekend...it has to be. I'd rather make/ fabricate something for someone than do this whole clutch job....it'd be more fun for me the other way around. Any takers???
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Didn't get to work on it as much tonight as I wanted to. The wife wanted to go out to dinner cause she had a huge headache and didn't feel like cooking...who am I to argue? Didn't get home till about 9:00 pm and got right to work.

Dropped the starter, and I hate to say it but most of the time was spent on getting the catalytic converter portion of the exhaust out. Can't believe how difficult it was...looked like 15 years worth of neglect and those damn bolts and nuts just didn't wanna budge. I soaked em pretty good last night in anticipation for today but still had to hit em' with the torch and 1/2" breaker bar. I was also able to get the two top bellhousing bolts out so tomorrow night she'll be out for sure.

I can tell you at this point, I'm paying someone else to do it next time. And please, don't laugh...if I was still in my 20's or even early 30's, I wouldn't complain. But I'm no spring chicken any more and age is dialing my number.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM

Wow, the puzzle looks so easy in the box, right???? lol.... GREAT perseverance, man, .... stick with it! Hey, young or oldER, we HAVE to use wisdom and not overdo it, ...... or even the seemingly silliest repair can turn into a severed artery or terrible burn, ya know? (ask me how I know? hahaha)... Actually, I can't leave out the 3# Sledge to the Pointer finger incident, either! lol. CAT to the inner thigh at 600*F.... Hmmm, and the SERIOUS cut while breaking a suspension nut free... WEEEEEEE! lol.

Anyway, you're not hurt, which is good.... I guess I was just reflecting back on my "Hey, I'm just LITERALLY 43..... I DON'T FEEEEEEEEL like it, so LET'S KEEP GOING!" times, hahaha.

It'll be nice when it's all buttoned up...Enjoy the ride when it is!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM

Odd when we are young it seems we will never grow up, when grown up it takes no time and just plain old lol. If I was closer or had time to stop on my way thru id be glad to lend you a hand. Just think when its done you shouldnt have to do it again for a long time.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM

clutch update....

Ok, so I was yanking n' pullin' some more yanking n' pulling' and couldn't figure out for the life of me why the damn transmission wouldn't break free.... Had a Carlos Mencia moment!! Derdader...still needed to remove the front inspection cover, 4 meesely little bolts. She was finally free. Pulled the clutch and dropped the flywheel. Upon inspection, I was just starting to get into the rivets. So this was good timing.

Had the flywheel machined while I was at school and after, picked up my buddy (same guy as before) who use to be a YOTA tech. With no hesitation, he's in the tranny tunnel putting it back together. Needless to say, I got to put the catalytic converter back in and tighten a couple of the bolts. Everything else was all him. So its back together and shifting like a dream now. Couldn't be happier with the end results and the expertise afforded by Jimmy....gotta tell you, this guys awesome.

We ended the evening with a little Italian dinner with my family...definitely good times. Oh, and yeah, with Jimmy at the helm I'd gladly tare into it again....just not alone.

I did have to make a tranny adapter for my floor jack..pics'll follow of that as I'm more proud of that then the actual clutch install.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM

BURN OUT VIDEOS! lol..... PROPS TO JIMMY!

Congratz, man!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM

BURN OUT VIDEOS! lol..... PROPS TO JIMMY!

Congratz, man!
Thanks Chef, but....

Not quite yet. As I was suppose to go out wheeling with the boss and another friend this weekend, sadly this has been pushed back one more weekend. Orders at work need to be welded up and shipped out and are the priority right now...don't want our customers waiting any longer than they have to. This'll give me more time to have a break in period before I go romping on it.

On a side note: For the amount of time I've spent under my rig this week, I failed to notice the driver side front link for the sway bar had turned into a pretzel. So the sway bar has been deleted...the jury is still out on how I like it. At least "I" know I wheel this thing and DD it. I just wonder what rock I hit or what would cause the link to bend in such a way..?

As to the tranny mount I'm so proud of...I made it out scrap/ fall off we had laying around.
Here's the bottom of it with the gusset's:

And the top portion with the with the side arms. This little item worked perfectly for the removal and reinstallation:

Last edited by snowshredder555; 03-08-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 PM

updates?????

Quick Reply: Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up