Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

scuba's 1999 Tacoma Build-Up Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Installed a quick drain valve on the oil pan to aid in no mess oil changes.

And went wheelin 8/6-8/8 at TTORA Takeover 2010 in Big Bear.
I covered roughly 97 miles of dirt road and rocks.
Those 97 miles were covered on these trails: Dishpan Springs, John Bull east-west, John Bull west-east (yes it makes it 2 different trails), Bullfrog, Rattlesnake Canyon, Mottino Wash.

Ooops.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba

What's that pink and gold thingy you're hauling there?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a nativity scene figure? One of the wise men maybe?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
Looks like a nativity scene figure? One of the wise men maybe?
DING DING.
We have a wiener.. I mean.. winner.

I rescued him from a life of being shot up. In return he keeps me safe and helps me make smart decisions on the trail.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Welded on a diff guard yesterday and picked up a spare rack today. The rack came out of a totaled 4Runner with 90K. I'm going to put new inner TRE's on it as well as a new rack guide. Once I do that I'll pull mine and throw this one in. At the same time I install my new "rebuilt" rack I'm going to do the steering shaft slip joint tack weld. Then I'll have a nice slop free steering. When I did the Balljoints and outter tres in June my alignment tech said my inner TRES have about 1/4-1/2" of play. After this past Takeover weekend, my steering feels REALLY sloppy.

Anyway..

Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Cool!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Doors off = no music :(

So when I take off my door(s), I pull the plug which unplugs the speaker. I have an aftermarket viper alarm in the truck and it has power lock actuators in the door.
The jackwagon that installed alarm decided that the doors probably never need to be removed and just wired the wires straight through. So when I did the quick disco door mod a few months back it basically disabled the door lock in the drivers side door. I haven't got around to actually doing the quick door mod on the passenger door. So that side is still working properly.
ANYWAY.
I looked for ways to wire in the 2 extra wires into the the stock connectors that are already there for the speakers but I can't find individual little terminals to shove in the connectors.
So that lead me to some searching.. Which led me to these connectors with a 12" pigtail on them
I ended up buying 2 of the males, and 4 of the females.

The males will be mounted in the kick panel and will replace the plug connectors that exist in there. I will wire it up to the existing speaker wiring and at the same time include the alarm wiring that comes from wherever the alarm module in my truck is.

I bought 4 of the females so that when I pull the doors off to wheel doorless I can have a second set of speakers only that will just plug right in to the newly wired male terminals that will be in the kick panel.
Basically, all of this is so that I can gain back my aftermarket alarm functions when the doors are on and be able to quickly plug in some extra speakers for when I go doorless.

IDK where I'll mount the speakers when the doors are off.. but I'll figure that out.

I'll be sure to update this when I get all this wiring done. Figure it should be a couple weeks. Don't have money to buy any new speakers ATM, so I'll pick those up next paycheck.

Hope you enjoyed my novel, and somewhat pointless update

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM

OH, Don't know how I forgot this:

I wired up a nifty little LED voltmeter

Read thread for more info:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...nstall-218502/

Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
So when I take off my door(s), I pull the plug which unplugs the speaker. I have an aftermarket viper alarm in the truck and it has power lock actuators in the door.
The jackwagon that installed alarm decided that the doors probably never need to be removed and just wired the wires straight through. So when I did the quick disco door mod a few months back it basically disabled the door lock in the drivers side door. I haven't got around to actually doing the quick door mod on the passenger door. So that side is still working properly.
ANYWAY.
I looked for ways to wire in the 2 extra wires into the the stock connectors that are already there for the speakers but I can't find individual little terminals to shove in the connectors.
So that lead me to some searching.. Which led me to these connectors with a 12" pigtail on them
I ended up buying 2 of the males, and 4 of the females.

The males will be mounted in the kick panel and will replace the plug connectors that exist in there. I will wire it up to the existing speaker wiring and at the same time include the alarm wiring that comes from wherever the alarm module in my truck is.

I bought 4 of the females so that when I pull the doors off to wheel doorless I can have a second set of speakers only that will just plug right in to the newly wired male terminals that will be in the kick panel.
Basically, all of this is so that I can gain back my aftermarket alarm functions when the doors are on and be able to quickly plug in some extra speakers for when I go doorless.

IDK where I'll mount the speakers when the doors are off.. but I'll figure that out.

I'll be sure to update this when I get all this wiring done. Figure it should be a couple weeks. Don't have money to buy any new speakers ATM, so I'll pick those up next paycheck.

Hope you enjoyed my novel, and somewhat pointless update

VERY COOL! A friend made some leather doors for wheeling and he said when he sells his rig he'll give em to me.(and some other goodies! ) ... Good to know!

I wired up a nifty little LED voltmeter

Read thread for more info:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...nstall-218502/

Also very cool! I've wanted to do some 'Roger' like mods, including Vacuum gauge, etc.... This one would be a MUST! Great idea for when camping and running lots of gear off the Inverter!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
VERY COOL! A friend made some leather doors for wheeling and he said when he sells his rig he'll give em to me.(and some other goodies! ) ... Good to know!

Also very cool! I've wanted to do some 'Roger' like mods, including Vacuum gauge, etc.... This one would be a MUST! Great idea for when camping and running lots of gear off the Inverter!

Thats cool of your friend to give you his doors!

Today.. I was jamming to so tunes off of just the battery while doing a tire rotation and I looked at the volt meter and the light wasn't even shining The clock which I wired it up to was on, guess since I my system was drained from the music the volt meter was below the threshold and was not registering. So it does work well!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Wow, .... trust me, that's a FREAKY, stank thing to happen when you're in some of the places I go in the High Sierras, etc. NO ONE comes by for a couple days, etc. Good thing for Cellies, eh? lol.

Yeah, very cool of him, indeed. He's getting a 2007 Built Tundra for his boat and such... doesn't wanna kill the runner any more. lol. He made the door out of some stainless tubing and quality leather for cover... very light and they look great. I wont see him for a bit, but I'll try to get him to send me some pics, hahaha. He'll say, I know it, ..."Dangggg, don't be a pain in my arse, .... I'm busy! hahaha" Maybe he'll do it for me, though. We'll see. lol.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 PM

PS> I have AAA Plus, which grants me a 100 Mile tow for free! Plus many other goodies. Plus, totally off topic, but in case you didn't know.....You can use your AAA card in like 100'S of stores, for a minimum of like 10% off. I've got like 150$ off a weeks hotel too when flashing the card. I didn't ever think of it until I was in a hotel and they had a "AAA" sticker on the counter... I asked,...I RECEIVED! hahaha.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 PM

Hey she still started right up. My sears dieahrd platinum has plenty of reserve capacity!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 PM

Yeah, I just have a Duralast... but it's the Gold model, at least.. 800CCA, ... it's been left on all night with the radio, ..still started up no problem in the morn. I'd like to get a Die Hard again though.... Had one in my 70 CST Blazer.... (2 of them actually...It had dual batteries, ) ... .They worked fine already 3 years old when I got it and then another 5 years! lol.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Scoob... You know anything about a factory warning bell? My white runner used to start beeping when it was getting too low to start again. My radio had an auto shut off thing, too(not factory) that was really cool. If the radio was draining to the point that it wouldn't have the juice to start up.... it would turn itself off before then.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 PM

Finally got all of my connectors in yesterday. I got them in a few days after ordering but 2 of them were the wrong thing (my fault). So I ordered up 2 more of the correct ones and got them in yesterday. I'll return the 2 incorrect ones soon.
The connectors were about 7$ each. A bit spendy but well worth it.
The reason I did this was due to the PO's alarm installation. It has aftermarket door lock actuators wired straight through the pass through. Well that doesn't work too well when you need to take of the door to go wheelin. I finally got tired of using the key to lock and unlock the door as well as use the remote to disarm the alarm.

Heres the way its wired up. I have 4 of the male connectors and 2 female connectors. The 2 female connectors are wired into the kick panel with the speaker wires and the alarm wires. The male connectors are wired into the door, obviously to the speaker and the door lock actuators. I have 2 extra male connectors. Those will be used to wire into an extra set of speakers that will be temp mounted when I pull the doors off to go wheelin. Clear as mud?

All in all, it took me 1 hour to do 1 door.
The connectors and the butt splices. They were the good butt splices with heat shrink

Female (kick panel)/ male door & temp door off speakers.

Theres the stock plug that normally has the stock door lock/ door window/ speaker wiring. My base model only has the speaker connections. The red/ black loose wires you see are the alarm wires I cut back in april.

All done

I'll do the other side sometime soon.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Picking up an 85 Transfer case today:

I'll end up ripping her apart, cleaning her up and using the reduction box to fit 4.7 Marlin gears and marlin adapters for dual cases on my Tacoma

Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah man your lucky!!! im wanting dual cases on my truck so bad. lol your tacoma is gonna be a beast when your done!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Thanks man. Picked up the case.. Now time to save for adapters, a 4.7 gear set.. and all that jazz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scuba's 1999 Tacoma Build-Up Thread