Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

paynemw's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uppppddaaatteeesss!!!

I want to see this SAS. BTW if you need me to go pick it up for you at the shop let me know
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 PM

its sorta hard to get updates when I'm in afghanistan. Stop by Perkins Performance to check it out. Jason told me he should be getting the steelies this week and mounting the HMMWV tires. The axle is about done and should be shipping soon. I'm guessing Jason has been spending the time collecting all of the parts and supplies. I just asked him to attempt the 4th Gen T4R rear brakes on the axle... PRAY it works!! those are the details I've received so far. I'm itching just as much as you are. Hows the IFS Skid? you like that RED!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Lol.. yeah I might have to. I'm interested to see how it comes out.

I haven't even gotten to beat on the skid plate yet. My 4wd is broke right now and I just haven't gotten the part yet. A buddy has the part I need just need to get it. I've been to busy gettin out of the ARMY!! lol Saturday was my last day and it feels good to be free finally.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM

so some pictures of whats to come. I asked Jason at Perkins Performance to build me a full length roof rack with removable sides. I am asking him to re-use my crossbars so I can still hook up my snowboard rack relatively easily and remove it easily.

As far as axle... "pure sex" I orded a 64in WMS-WMS Diamond Driver Side Drop Axle, Toyota Inners and Outers, 8" Hi-Pinion with Detroit Locker and 4.88 gears, Tundra 231mm brakes, Longfield axles and Aisin IFS Manual Hubs.

and for rubbers I picked up 5x 37in Goodyear MT HMMWV Tires that will be on some D window style black stealies

and i'll throw some winter/AT tires as close to 37s on my TRD Anthracite rims for winter/street driving.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Always see your rig when I pass his shop. For a while I thought you sold it to him haha, build looks sweet though man!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 PM

Awesome bro.. Wished I could see it. Me and the wife decided to move to Florida, so I can go to school. I'll have to see it on here when it's done. Oh and btw I sold my runner to a kid that lives in centrilia so if you see my rig it's not me anymore. It was a super sad day.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM

update from Perkins Performance

hopefully the tires will tuck a little better

about the height... maybe a little lower

rear axle out for elocker mod, 4th Gen disc brakes... frame is getting cleaned off and I think Jason said the front axle assembly is off too (not pictured)

Should have more updates soon... marlin crawler dual T-cases and HD Clutch kit are in
Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 AM

Aight, big updates. Right now the tranny has been dropped, flywheel turned, new HD clutch kit installed, new slave cylinder and master cylinder installed. Tranny back up and the marlin double t-case is being mocked...

the rear axle has been dropped cleaned up and waiting for all of the FROR full floating kit to come in to start the axle rebuild and 4th Gen 4Runner disc brake conversion and working the mock up for the rear links, etc.

front axle has arrived and working the links up front... gorgeous!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 AM

holy cow man just saw your build thread and this thing is going to be a monster!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 AM

beefy links! so between the marlin t-case and the links, gonna have to do a behind the axle gas tank... Jason said he could hook it up with an aluminum one, pretty stoked! still waiting to get all of the parts together to finishing putting together the full floating rear kit with the 4th gen 4R rear disc brakes w/ parking brake...
Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 AM

rear tucked...
front mocked up
Old 09-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Really nice rig. I enjoyed reading about the build.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM

Yep after reading dirtco's thread and now urs i wanna 3rd gen runner.... nice rig!! Have u had any ither issues out of ur motor?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 AM

Ah yes... front axle getting mocked up. should be moved forward +/-3 inches. So stoked. Going to have to work on that pinch weld and the front bumper to help out when fully tucked

Last edited by paynemw; 09-18-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM

So I've been working with Jason to get the truck done. Things are coming together nicely. He dialed in the suspension today. I got my driveshafts from Drivelines NW. Put in the Tacoma radiator with integrated transmission cooler, new condensor, new power steering pump (working on new lines going to the ford steering box), new clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch kit, working on the shifters for the doubler t-case, clocked the tcase and working the shifter. finishing up the 96 ford aux fuel tank. should get exhaust worked tomorrow. button everything up!!! man I'm so stoked.
FLEX PICTURES!

and ride height
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 AM

Looks good!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 PM

got some more updates! I still have to figure out why its not running. Jason has done as badass job tho!
Tcase shifters... have to mod them to fit around the floor pan and seat

I can fit a 37" under the passenger side at full flex & the back tires are still on the ground! AND the lift was about to flip!
the back tires tuck VERY well even with 37's

AH i can't wait to get her done!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM

Any updates?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 99_Runner
Any updates?
the only cool update is that I picked up a SUPER clean 1987 Toyota Pickup 2WD, freshly rebuilt 22R with a freshly reman'ed 5speed manual swapped in. I haven't done anything except remove the rear bumper, install my yakima roof rack and clean up the previous owner's horrible wiring work and installed my sub out of the 4Runner.

I moved the 4Runner across country and just started school. I don't anticipate the 4Runner being operational until this summer at best. There is a TON of ˟˟˟˟ that didn't get finished. I like Perkins Performance, but I have learned that I will only recommend FAB work and not mechanical work. I had to re-do a bunch of mechanical work.

she's just sitting in the driveway at the rents until I can get things squared away. I know I'm a terrible forum poster, not like the guys who have super detailed threads.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 PM

sooo I have a small update. I replaced the Ford gear box with a remanned one AND I got her started after 1.5+ years of not being run at all. It was a bit scary but I got her running. I still have to do some more wire harness repair but I successfully extended the gas tank wire harness, extended and properly ran the new fuel lines, and re-assembled the fuel sending unit and fuel pump. I replaced the strainer and the fuel filter and added some sea foam to the 1.5+ year old gas. she started up and I ran the truck for about 15 minutes. Next up is dragging the truck to a brake shop to re-do all of the hardlines where I'm having issues and addressing some issues with the tundra 231mm brake calipers where the line bolts into the caliper and then i'll finally have brakes. after that I can have the front/rear axles painted/inspected and ensure the rear axle was built correctly and fix some issues I'm having with the chilkat actuator engaging. after I get the axles in good working order I'll be able to drive the truck up to a shop to have some final fab work done. I have a running list of approximately 60 tasks to complete before she's completely trail ready. Regardless today's goal of getting her running was a huge accomplishment. I currently have the 87 PU and 74 Honda CB750 Cafe Racer that I also have to keep working so I appologize if the build is quite slow. Thanks for the motivation though!

Quick Reply: paynemw's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread