Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Tundra brakes on. Weren't too difficult. Brake lines were the worst part. 'WL' calipers, 976 pads, sleeved stainless brake lines. The only modification was cutting the dust shield. Everything else bolted right on. Clearance is spare and the calipers wouldn't fit if I didn't have the 1/4" spacer.
Guess since it was in the low 40's today I won't moan too much about how cold it was!

Who is it here that makes the coolest cakes, isn't that you, Molly? I remember lots of pictures, but can't remember who.

I like the tandem on the road. It's a lot of work on dirt, but then again, my stoker's 6. Not a whole lot of power or rear traction there! I get a lot of enjoyment just sharing the ride with my kid. It's definitely a team deal, stoker's always right, communication is extremely important.

Last edited by habanero; 01-19-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic up Hab! The truck looks great! I think mine sags as bad as your did full when mine is empty...that's the difference in a pre-99 and post-99 for you.

Just a thought...you should paint the rack the same color as the truck! When I saw the first picture I thought it was the same color...that would look sweet. Funny the first thing I saw when I looked at the second picture was the missing cap too...that's a perfectionist for you.

With the new lift, rack, color and all that is one of my favorite 4Runners on Yotatech. Keep up the good work!

Hey Molly...my birthday is FRIDAY...but I'm not counting them anymore...

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 01-19-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Happy Birthday Doc!!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Put the stoker up front and let him steer...that way power and traction go to the rear where it's needed... could make for an interesting ride down the mtn.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I am the cake chick....

Just need a date and addy Hab
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
Put the stoker up front and let him steer...that way power and traction go to the rear where it's needed... could make for an interesting ride down the mtn.
Especially seeing as he can reach neither the pedals nor the handlebars!
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Yeah I am the cake chick....

Just need a date and addy Hab
That's the ones! I remember others you posted as well. Mmmmmmm, cake!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Since it's a build thread here's my pimpin' gold calipers (they came that way), new rotors, new steel brake line. It was the brake lines that were being the biggest bear. Now I own a 10mm brake line wrench. Needed one anyway.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

I think my rears are going on the truck... was swapping over a big issue so far as the ABS junk was concerned hab?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

You know, I didn't even give the abs a thought. There's no ring or electrical on the rotor or caliper and no light's been triggered. Will have to give it a hard stop sometime soon but I can't see a reason why there'd be a problem. Really it was as simple as removing the old caliper and rotor and putting the other caliper and rotor on after trimming the dust shield. I didn't have to worry about the wheel because of the 1/4" spacers- it would definitely not fit without them without some grinding.
Have you heard anything?

I've decided to stick with the drums on the back. If I remember right there were ABS and lack of parking brake issues with that switch, right?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

My bad I thought you were doing the rear wheels... the fronts probably did not have ABS I think the 4wheel abs was an option in 96...
Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Alright, a summary of what I've done.....

All maintenance including timing belt, water pump, belts, hoses, plugs, oil changes, fuel filter, cleaning the MAF and throttle plate, etc etc.

Removed running boards when the kid got big enough to get in without them

Unbolted and reversed the end of the hitch so that my receiver is above the bar rather than under it, to gain some clearance. Used a, um, big hammer to bend both the loops on the hitch and the bumper out a little so that the loops are now behind the bumper, but still intact. Used a sawzall to cut a square out of my stock bumper to fit the receiver in its new position.

Got a 4" deckplate, cut a hole with the dremel and installed it in the air filter box. Also did the ISR mod per instructions found on this site.

Got a truflow air filter. Those paper dealies are too expensive to change out so much and I do like a clean air filter.

The right rear bearing went bad so I pulled the shaft and had new toyota bearing pressed on by a shop. Put it all back together and put a new seal in. Turned out because there aren't spacers the shop pressed the bearings all the way down instead of to the original placing so the thing started leaking. I hadn't thought to take note of where everything sat on the shaft before they did the work. I took both shafts out for comparison and after much argument the shop replaced the bearings on their dime using the left shaft as a guide for the right. Funny they screwed up like that because they do the same job for the local Toyota dealership on a regular basis, according to both them and the dealership. They claimed this was the first time they'd ever had one come back. Weird. I'm just glad the 4runner axle shafts are so easy to r/r!

My wonderful husband brought me a few switches from the junkyard....

The ECT switch is now my antenna switch and is in the center console. Spliced it into the blue and white wire from the radio using extra wire. Now the antenna goes up when I want it to rather than anytime the radio's on.

The Washer switch is now my in-dash garage door opener. Because I wanted the option of removing the opener without much ado I left it pretty much intact other than a small hole where I soldered wires to it, then ran the wires to the momentary part of the switch. The opener is now behind my dash and I use the switch to open the garage door. It sits next to my clutch start cancel switch. The on/off switch is to be employed at a later date.

Installed a Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift kit. I really like that everything you need is there, right down to the extended rear steel braided brake line. I had a shop put the front coils on the shocks for me but otherwise did most of the other work myself. The instructions were good and Steve himself gave me several tips and pointers. I would definitely do business with him again. I sprayed all my undoables with PB'laster a few times in the days before the install. I did have to reclamp the cv boots and am awaiting failure on my cvs now, but with 206,000 miles on them I suppose I won't complain if they do. So far they are fine and I am keeping an eye on the boots as well. Failure would give me a chance to become familiar with replacing half shafts, hopefully in the comfort of my own garage. And not in winter. Knowing how to do something from instruction is never the same for me as actually having done it.

Tires. After much consideration I chose Michelin A/Ts LT285/75r16. I had Michelin LTX M/S P265/70r16 on there and was extremely happy with them for the 85,000 miles they were on the truck. I wanted something that would last and have really good traction on and off road and with a little more aggressive tread. My two favorites were the BFG A/T's and the Michelins. The longevity and reviews on the Michelin's caused me to choose them. So far so good, but they've yet to see dirt and rocks. They are almost as nice on the road as the LTX m/s.
To clear the a-arms I had to use 1/4" spacers.

I replaced the meep meep yota horns with 2 '70's Cadillac Eldorado horns. To fit them in I cut off part of the Eldorado horn brackets and drilled a hole for the original horn's bolt. I bolted them up in the original spots and slid the toyota connector onto the Eldorado spade, opting to not modify it. It works well while the truck is running and will serve my purpose as I very very rarely resort to using the horn. When I put an aux fuse block in I will rewire with a relay.

4 years ago I replaced the brake rotors with brembos because the others were warped. 10,000 miles later they were warped too. Ugh. I saw the Tundra upgrade thread here back when I got the brembos but decided to both try the cheaper solution first and watch the imput on the Tundra upgrade. After quite a few pulsating pedal miles and a few weeks ago I decided to go ahead and do the upgrade using the WL calipers. It was easy. The hardest part was trimming the dust shield so the caliper would fit because I didn't have a better tool than my snips. Everything bolted into place without a hitch. I replaced the original hoses with some sleeved steel braided ones from Wheeler's Offroad, another company I would be pleased to do business with again. I did not have to do any grinding anywhere because of the 1/4" spacers, but the clearance between them and the wheels is minimal. With the hubby at the brake pedal I bled and bled and bled the brakes. Now I brake and the only difference is the lack of pulse in my pedal. Ahhh. We'll have to wait to see if the Tundra brakes can handle me.

I've got much planned for the future, but am very limited on funds.

Last edited by habanero; 01-29-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow....you be busy.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Nice work!

how bad was the timing belt / water pump.... i need to do mine as i just cleared 200k...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Weren't too bad, worst for me was the hydraulic tensioner. I wasn't fast and the kid kept rearranging my carefully laid out parts, but I got it done without too much hassle. This time around I'm getting a tensioner tool (spring) so hit me up to borrow it when you're ready.

I used this last time, if I remember correctly...
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

Augh! I just noticed you've moved! No wonder I haven't seen that hot little truck of yours. Well, it can be done without the tool, just takes a little more doing, is all.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM

wow....in reading that writeup...it looks like an undertaking, and likely the biggest thing i'll have done. i'm guessing you had a garage and a spare vehicle?

i could see where this would be a great homeschooling project!

i've actually been back in the STL for a few months - sew...if you have the tool, yah, i'll take you up on the offer. I should set sail for the left coast again in summer...

a
Old 02-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

The first time I got it done in a day (hey, I was figuring stuff out...) and had all the potentially needed parts on hand, pulleys, etc. Had the truck half in the garage and didn't need my spare. I actually enjoyed doing it. Guess you can tell I don't work on cars for a living! I'll be buying the tool by the end of Feb so let me know when you want it.

Hey, did you have a flat belly? I think I remember seeing a belly pan but can't remember how it looked under there.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Dang Habsie you've been a busy girl... I've been deferring all kinds of work because I don't have a garage and lost access to the hanger... going to do my powersteering pump this weekend maybe if I the weather's not too miserable... getting tired of not having PS...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

A hangar would be cool! I could see how you'd miss that.

I'll cross my fingers for your weather, we're supposed to have light snow over the next few days. If it isn't falling off I'm waitin' for spring to deal with it!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

That little tool helps a heap! In fact I guess you gotta have it huh? And how did the snow go?

Troy and I went to Charlotte NC from last friday till yesterday to see his folks. (Um inlaws... YEAH! ) Anyway they got 4" of snow friday night when we got there and holy crap, people could NOT drive! I had to laugh as we have not had any snow in the last month is CO and we had to go to NC for snow! Though ti was cute seeing ALL the kiddo's the next day out and making snowmen with any snow they could find. I guess I take snow for granted!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

You can do the job without the tool, but it is a heck of a lot more work.

I could see how you might take snow for granted! We ended up with about the same- 4" or so. People here can't drive in it either, they think 4x4 means they've got 4 wheel stop and won't slow down to a reasonable speed or stop tailgating. I didn't get a chance to go sledding this time but we hiked 4 miles one day, 8 the next and another 8 the day after that.

I'm waiting for another little toy for the truck to come in the mail tomorrow...

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread