Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Here we go again!

I never thought the day would come, but it did, and I sold the Turbo 4Runner. After 10 years of daily driving fully built mid 80’s Toyotas, it was time to drive something a little newer, more comfortable and more powerful. I only have one parking space where I live, so the vehicle I have is the vehicle I drive. It’s sad to see it go, but it’s also exciting to start another project.

A little history…

This is the Turbo 4Runner
Build thread – https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-155840/

Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 PM

And this is the 4Runner before it. It was cut up to build the Turbo 4Runner. As you can see, I had a lot of fun in this rig and body damage was never a concern.

Build thread – https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...thread-134399/

Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 PM

So the saga continues…

Welcome the newest member of the family.

1999 Limited 4Runner
Supercharged 3.4
Auto
E-locker

Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 PM

And a couple side shots for future reference…

Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Overall the 4Runner is very clean and in great shape, it drives like a dream and is very comfortable. I now see why these are so popular (at least where I live).

There is one issue that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. The supercharger is making noise in the nose cone area; it’s not that bad when it’s cold but it does get louder when it heats up. I knew it was going to need some work when I bought it.

After I bought it I washed the engine really good, after a month or so driving it (locally) I figured out why it was making noise. The front seal in the supercharger is leaking, so it’s low or almost out of oil.

The plan is to remove the supercharger and send it to Magnuson for a full rebuild. While the supercharger is off I might as well go through everything. I noticed there is a small leak on the d/s valve cover, so I will replace both valve cover seals. I’m also going to take a look at the timing belt and water pump, there is some dried up coolant at the front of the engine. There is a sticker that says the belt was changed at 95k, but it’s not a Toyota sticker and who knows what was done or replaced.

I really feel that if my vehicle is out of commission for a week or two (and half the engine is torn apart) I should take care of anything that might come up in the near future. It would be awesome if I could take care of anything I can and not tear into the engine for another 80-100k.

I’m new to these trucks and engines, so any help/advise I could get would be greatly appreciated!

1st - While everything is apart should I remove the fuel injectors and have them cleaned / flow tested?

2nd – What replacement parts are needed to reinstall the 1st gen SC? I know the intake manifold and TB gasket, is there anything else? I do plan on replacing all the belts.

3rd – Is there anything else you would do while it’s apart? I plan on installing the URD 7th injector kit down the road, but I don’t want to change too much at one time. I also live at 9500’, so the lean/detonation issue is not problem until I drop in elevation.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Just a quick question. If your last truck was called the "luxury crawler", then what will this one be called?!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
what're your plans for the 99?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by gryllswannabe
Just a quick question. If your last truck was called the "luxury crawler", then what will this one be called?!
This 4Runner takes "Luxury" to a whole new level, but it's not going to be much of a crawler. I guess time will tell, but it will be a very comfortable trail truck and kind of a sleeper.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is that a factory color? never seen it before. looks good
seeing as you only have 115k miles. i dont think the injectors need any servicing. just run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner should do the trick
the 3.4 is a much easier engine to work on, i havent really heard of too many problems. then the usual valve cover leaks. should look into getting the valves checked and adjusted if needed
i would replace to tbelt and water pump with toyota parts, this is one of the easiest t belts i have done.
dont know much bout the s/c and what needs to be replaced but i would replace all the gaskets so you dont have future leaks since its already apart
Old 05-28-2011, 06:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice Platform to start with, but you skipped the second gen. I am sure all the guys with second gens wanted to see what you would do.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
what're your plans for the 99?
This 4Runner is going to be built for moderate trails and snow wheeling, but it will also see some harder trails like Holy Cross and Chinamans. It's my daily driver so it needs to stay nice and be comfortable on the highway. It also needs to pull the camping trailer I've been building.

I'm still working out a lot of the details, but here is the basic plan:

35" tires on 17" beadlock wheels
SS1.2 or Toytec lift
1" or 1.5" body lift
4.88 or 5.29 gears
Front ARB locker
Bumpers, Sliders and a whole lot of Skidplates/armor
Winch w/ syn. rope

Down the road I would like to install a Marlin "Taco Box" or an Inchworm "Lefty", but thats at the bottom of the list and there are more important things to take care of first.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
is that a factory color? never seen it before. looks good
seeing as you only have 115k miles. i dont think the injectors need any servicing. just run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner should do the trick
the 3.4 is a much easier engine to work on, i havent really heard of too many problems. then the usual valve cover leaks. should look into getting the valves checked and adjusted if needed
i would replace to tbelt and water pump with toyota parts, this is one of the easiest t belts i have done.
dont know much bout the s/c and what needs to be replaced but i would replace all the gaskets so you dont have future leaks since its already apart
Yes it's a factory color. I thought the same thing when I saw it, but after some research I found out that the color is Autumn Blaze Metallic w/ Topaz Metallic Cladding. It was only offered in '99. While researching my build I looked at hundreds of built 4Runners and I only saw one that was Autumn Blaze, and it did not have the cladding.

As for the engine that's pretty much what I was thinking. It would be nice to do everything I can and be done with it for another 80k. I plan replacing the intake manifold and TB gaskets, along with the valve cover gaskets. I bought the Snap-on tensioner tool, so I think I will do the T-belt, water pump and anything else in that area. I will also replace all the belts and check all the hoses. The spark plugs seem pretty easy to get to so I will wait until I order the URD 7th injector kit, as it comes with new plugs.

The timing belt on the 3.4 looks soooo much easier than replacing a 22R timing chain.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 05-28-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
Nice Platform to start with, but you skipped the second gen. I am sure all the guys with second gens wanted to see what you would do.
I thought about a second gen, but a 3.4 swap would have been the first thing I did. I just decided to buy the vehicle that had the 3.4 and build it .
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 PM

While I was waiting for the Turbo 4Runner to sell I started with some easy stuff. I removed the running boards, trimmed the rear mud flaps and had the front windows tinted. I also installed some Weathertech floormats; they are awesome!

A nice flashlight is a must have on the trail. In the last 4Runner I had it mounted in the rear cargo area which was hard to access when you needed it. For this 4Runner I mounted it on the driver seat, which is easy to get to and 100% out of the way.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 PM

I also did the blue wire mod, which allows the rear diff to be locked in 2wd and 4High. Normally it will only work in 4 low.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-4runners.html
Old 05-28-2011, 05:18 PM

When you’re out on the trail all day you need some music. So I installed my old Alpine headunit, with a new Alpine amp and an Infinity subwoofer I had.

While installing my amp I ordered one of these weatherproof grommets, it works great!

Last edited by DIRTCO; 05-28-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
youll have the belt exposed and ready to be removed in like 20 mins if that
Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 PM

The stock battery was not going to cut it; with a winch, stereo and several lights I needed something better. In the past I have always had Optima’s, but after a little research it seems that the quality has gone downhill.

I decided to install a Die Hard Platinum marine battery. It’s a rebadged Odyssey battery, with a Sears warranty and the price of an Optima battery. While I was installing it I cleaned up the battery cables and made a new battery hold down.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Looks good. I have been waiting for you to start this thread so that I could subscribe. You are a creative guy and we look forward to what you will do with this rig. Also, congratulations on the sale of the nicest first gen runner I have ever seen.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
youll have the belt exposed and ready to be removed in like 20 mins if that
From what I've seen it looks pretty easy, at least you don't have to pull the head.

Quick Reply: Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread