Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Addicted Offroad's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Intervention"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SnowRunner98
you going to offer up those sliders for the rest of us? money is tight right now, but i would like to maybe come down and get a set when I get some coin.
Its possible. How do you feel about cutting out the pinch welds hammering them up.

BTW, do not expect a TG slider type of price. Expect them to be closer to $350-$400 for set.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Hard to say. It would give you more clearance to stop rubbing, that is for sure.

If you want, I now have a 1" body lift for sale brand new on the wrapper.
how much? if he doesn't take it haha.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 AM

Hard to say. It would give you more clearance to stop rubbing, that is for sure.

If you want, I now have a 1" body lift for sale brand new on the wrapper.

What does this body lift come with, and how much?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by fightman80
What does this body lift come with, and how much?
Its the normal Toytec body lift. It comes with everything including the steering extension. $115 shipped to your door.

Its this kit with the steering extention:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 AM

Its the normal Toytec body lift. It comes with everything including the steering extension. $115 shipped to your door.

Its this kit with the steering extention:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

How difficult is this to install? Have you done this mod? Can I do this in my garage with a 2 ton jack?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4runner looks GREAT, but why didint you just build your own sliders in the first place?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by fightman80
How difficult is this to install? Have you done this mod? Can I do this in my garage with a 2 ton jack?
Yes. I have done several. Just need normal tools a couple blocks of 4x4 wood and do one side at a time. Do the steering block first though.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by yoterr
4runner looks GREAT, but why didint you just build your own sliders in the first place?
Because the TG sliders are so damn cheap that its not worth my time to build them myself.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 AM

Scotty,

Back to gearing. I'm running a 4runner 2.7L with 4.56s stock. Like you explained earlier with the tall ODs on the A340s...mine searches for 3rd way, way too much. I'm running 265/75/16s or roughly 32's and am thinking of going to 5.29s. Would this be a good combo with even the 2.7L? At 60 mph, i run at about 2200 RPMS roughly with OD and the A340F.

With 5.29s, it looks like I'd be around 27-2800 rpms.

PS. Subscribed...its going to be a sick build!

Thanks for the insight.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Skrillah
Scotty,

Back to gearing. I'm running a 4runner 2.7L with 4.56s stock. Like you explained earlier with the tall ODs on the A340s...mine searches for 3rd way, way too much. I'm running 265/75/16s or roughly 32's and am thinking of going to 5.29s. Would this be a good combo with even the 2.7L? At 60 miles per hour, i run at about 2200 RPMS roughly with OD and the A340F.

With 5.29s, it looks like I'd be around 27-2800 rpms.

PS. Subscribed...its going to be a sick build!

Thanks for the insight.
5.29s. YES!

Especially with the 2.7L.

Last edited by ScottyC; 08-10-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Scotty,

Awesome thanks for the advice!

The ones you sell on your website...are those available for 3 gens? I assume I would need to go with the setup for 4 cyl...and then the 4cyl setup kit as well...?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Scotty,

Awesome thanks for the advice!

The ones you sell on your website...are those available for 3 gens? I assume I would need to go with the setup for 4 cyl...and then the 4cyl setup kit as well...?
I can get them for you no problem. REV cut 7.5" are $199. Rears are $135, and yes, they are the same ones on my site. I also sell a solid pinion spacer for the rear that is highly recommended.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Cool, seem like you know your $. I need to finish getting some funds together but should be by the end of the month.

I was thinking the spacer sounded like a good idea too.

One more question, I understand you install these. Depending on shipping, could I ship you my front and rear and have you install them? If I can find a decent local shop to install them, I'll go that route but I'm having a hard time finding a decent local gear shop here in Southern Indiana, at least one that I trust. I can afford to have some down time on my rig while the install goes through...I'm guessing with shipping I'd have it back in roughly 2 weeks...?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM

Cool, seem like you know your $. I need to finish getting some funds together but should be by the end of the month.

I was thinking the spacer sounded like a good idea too.

One more question, I understand you install these. Depending on shipping, could I ship you my front and rear and have you install them? If I can find a decent local shop to install them, I'll go that route but I'm having a hard time finding a decent local gear shop here in Southern Indiana, at least one that I trust. I can afford to have some down time on my rig while the install goes through...I'm guessing with shipping I'd have it back in roughly 2 weeks...?
I would say two weeks is about right. Maybe quicker.

I charge $250 to setup a front clamshell design and $150 to setup the rear V6 3rd.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM

ScottyC, I have to admit... i totally jacked yer "blue prints" ha pictures of your rock sliders and am having some dude fab them up for me... i did a little bit of modding but am pretty stoked, thanks for throwing the pics up so i can have a pair for myself.... I have to say though, I have just the SR5 and was disappointed in the style of flares I have once i took off my steps... they don't transition smoothly like the limited ones do... oh well looks like more money for me to spend... by the way sick build brotha, keep it up
Old 08-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Why would you openly say that I am taking your design and compliment him on it. If it is that good of a design then buy it from him. From what I hear about this guy here in Colorado, is that all his products are top and the custom stuff he does is copied all over the place. I could see how you like his design and run get another fabricator to do the work and maybe save yourself a penny or 2 but do not brag about it. Complimenting by coping is done all the time and I understand that but I do not see how it is cool to post up in his build thread that you are taking his idea.

Just how I see it and maybe there is history or something more here but that sounds pretty lame.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by alteredvision
Why would you openly say that I am taking your design and compliment him on it. If it is that good of a design then buy it from him. From what I hear about this guy here in Colorado, is that all his products are top and the custom stuff he does is copied all over the place. I could see how you like his design and run get another fabricator to do the work and maybe save yourself a penny or 2 but do not brag about it. Complimenting by coping is done all the time and I understand that but I do not see how it is cool to post up in his build thread that you are taking his idea.

Just how I see it and maybe there is history or something more here but that sounds pretty lame.
Its not that big of a deal IMO. Its not like they aren't a similar copy of something else out there. LOL

Besides I don't offer these for sale at this point anyway. Now, if he were copying my front bumper design, or rear tire carrier design, then I might think differently.

When I build my new front bumper, I will be taking small bits and pieces of different design all over the web. I really like Mossyrock's front bumper, as well as a few others. My plan is to take things I like from several and piece them into a new production model. It won't be a direct copy, just taking inspiration from several different ideas.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:03 AM

Its not that big of a deal IMO. Its not like they aren't a similar copy of something else out there. LOL

Besides I don't offer these for sale at this point anyway. Now, if he were copying my front bumper design, or rear tire carrier design, then I might think differently.

When I build my new front bumper, I will be taking small bits and pieces of different design all over the web. I really like Mossyrock's front bumper, as well as a few others. My plan is to take things I like from several and piece them into a new production model. It won't be a direct copy, just taking inspiration from several different ideas.
i definately didn't intend to make people mad... i'm in the army and am doin lots of training up for deployment and wanted a local to fab it up so I can get it quick and adjust as i see fit. I guess the reason i took it and "bragged" is because the army has taught me to do that, why rework the wheel when you have a buddy who just drew up the design? i'll definatly have to look at yer pickin up some parts from you on the backside of my deployment for my drive train build up.... thanks brotha
Old 08-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will recommend 5.29s for anyone running 33s with the A/T from here on out. I will be ordering them this week since i just got the 34s on it.

Here is what RPMs you will be at:

With a manual @ 65 miles per hour with 4.56s and 33s= 2565rpms
With a A/T @ 65mph with 5.29s and 33s = 2451rpms

With M/T @ 75mph with 4.56s and 33s = 2960rpms
With A/T @ 75mph with 5.29s and 33s = 2828rpms

The math doesn't lie with the A/T. If you want the power and performance similar to the M/T you need 5.29s. Its that simple.
If you had to guess right now, how do you think the new 5.29s will affect your mpgs? I realize the gains by matching a taller gear to a larger tire (transmission will not have to constantly search for the correct gear), but w/ the engine running at higher rpms more often, will this decrease your mpgs?

I only ask b/c I do plan to regear at some point down the road and w/ as much hwy driving as I do, I want to get the correct gear installed the first time around. (Majority of guys who I have talked to, have simply regeared to either a 4.56 or 4.88 w/ 33s to bring their vehicles back to a “stock” gearing, rather than a better gearing as you have suggested w/ the 5.29s.)

On my '02 4wd V6 with 265/75s & 4.10s, I'm turning the following rpms:

2150rpms @ 70mph
2350rpms @ 75mph
2500rpms @ 80mph

Jumping up to 5.29s will definitely help with performance when I step up to a 33” tire, but will I be sacrificing mpgs too?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
If you had to guess right now, how do you think the new 5.29s will affect your mpgs? I realize the gains by matching a taller gear to a larger tire (transmission will not have to constantly search for the correct gear), but w/ the engine running at higher rpms more often, will this decrease your mpgs?

I only ask b/c I do plan to regear at some point down the road and w/ as much hwy driving as I do, I want to get the correct gear installed the first time around. (Majority of guys who I have talked to, have simply regeared to either a 4.56 or 4.88 w/ 33s to bring their vehicles back to a “stock” gearing, rather than a better gearing as you have suggested w/ the 5.29s.)

On my '02 4wd V6 with 265/75s & 4.10s, I'm turning the following rpms:

2150rpms @ 70mph
2350rpms @ 75mph
2500rpms @ 80mph

Jumping up to 5.29s will definitely help with performance when I step up to a 33” tire, but will I be sacrificing mpgs too?
I expect them to be better. Remember that the 5spd gets better mileage at higher rpms anyway. The 3.4L is more efficient at higher rpms which why it has always confused me as to why they chose to go with a tranny that had a .70 overdrive. My mileage definitely dropped with the new tires since the torque convertor is always unlocking and/or shifting for 3rd. Its really annoying. But, I haven't even run a full tank through it yet with them on. I doubt I will either before the 5.29s are installed.

I will know more in a week or so. I have to build a couple bumpers this week, but when they are done, I will be able to get the new gears installed. I will give honest real world numbers when its done.

Scotty

Last edited by ScottyC; 08-11-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Addicted Offroad's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Intervention"