Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1997 4Runner SR5 2WD Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so i got turned down by desert rat b/c they dont ship to FPO APO which sucks there prices were awesome. And now i am heading back to the states on Emergency leave, so i am looking to get some tires and rims like urs somtimes being in the military in a foreign country sucks lol...
Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 AM

silversr5, I hear you, I was stationed at Kunsan AB South Korea back in 03 during my Air Force days. Well, the rims I got are the Blackrock 942 "D" Window 15x8. Not sure what truck you have, but I warn you, if you have either a 4Runner or Tacoma with factory 16" alloy wheels, then you have the big front brakes, and this wheels won't fit without having to grind some material from the calipers. Look at my buildup thread, I have pics of the process. The tires are 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratrac's. Great tires BTY!! I have put over 20k on them, and they barely show signs of wear. Good luck to you while stationed overseas, and I hope the reason for your emergency leave is not a sad one.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by traxxi2003
Hey Jimmy it’s been quite some time since my last post. NO, after the new headlights, the PIAA 520's lights and the new grill, I haven't done anything else to the truck. Although, I have her in the garage right now out of commission waiting on a new set of NGK plugs and wires. Last Wednesday, she developed a really bad idle hesitation that quickly progressed into barely been able to idle. I discovered that #1 piston was not firing. Somehow the sparkplug wire inside the rubber boot was broke; this was enough to completely disable the #1 plug. I was shocked as to how rough she was running for having only one piston out of six. Hey did you moved already? How about you, have you done anything else to your truck? Right now I really would like to improve on the interiors, I really need to replace the floor carpets, and I've been wanting to order some custom made leather seat covers. I also need to replace my stereo.
Hey Jose, sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but this is the busiest time of year for me at work so my free time has been pretty limited...

Anyway, I hope that you were able to get the rought idle problem figured out and that it wasn't anything more serious that just swapping out the plugs and plug wires.

If you are still looking for seat covers you should definitely check out Wet Okole. I bought a full set off another YotaTecher and I don't have enough good things to say about them! They are really comfortable, durable, and easy to clean, and they fit like a glove and look awesome! They are a bit on the pricey side, but well worth it IMO.

We did finally make the move in late September. The trip went about as smoothly as we could have asked for and my truck performed like a champ.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on my truck since we moved up here. We were busy with moving everything and getting settled in, now I am pretty busy with work...I am planning on changing the oil and doing some other routine maintenance in the next couple weeks, but nothing major planned for now.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Its been a while since I had upgraded or fixed anything in my truck, so last week I decided it was time to do something about the old/tired interior lighting. So, I went ahead and ordered the required LED bulbs to do the instrument cluster and the A/C panel first. I just wanted to see how they would look before ordering everything at once. Also, since all of the lighting upgrade threads that have been posted on this site are for 1998 or newer third gen TR4's, I though I create another thread of this project on my 1997 TR4. Bellow I will post some pictures of the bulbs I got and where did I got them, as well as some before and after pics. Enjoy!

Here are the light bulbs I got for the instrument cluster: (three #194 cool white)

I wanted to point out the location of the bulbs that I replaced on the back of my 1997 4Runner instrument cluster.

Next, these were the #74 LED's I used to replace the A/C control panel lighting, which in my 1997 4Runner I only have one bulb to replace. I also replaced the ignition switch ring light and the ash tray light bulb.

Finally here are some pics of the before and after. The first couple of pics represent the original lighting. Although the gauges still look bright, I believe it was do to the camera used 9Nikon Coolpix 501) but believe, compared to the new LED's the difference is very remarkable!

And finally here are some shots of the new lights, cool white was used on the instrument cluster and A/C panel, red was used for the key ring and blue for the ash tray. Last two not pictured:

Overall I'm very happy with the even light spread of this bulbs. As you all can appreciate in the pictures, I have no bright spots. Also, absolutely no additional modifications were needed in order to make this bulbs fit. I hope you all like this thread!!

Last edited by traxxi2003; 02-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM

That looks nice!
I've been thinking about doing this as well next time i feel like tearing into my dash.
In the older trucks its even worse! I sanded off all the black paint on the back of my gauge faces about a year ago and it made it a million times better, but this is definitely a huge step up!
Nice mod! mad props!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those white LEDs look pretty sweet! I may have to switch some of my blue ones out for the white...Looks good man!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM

What Kind of Lift?

What Kind of lift did you go with? And Tire size? If you posted it in your thread, sorry, i was skimming through and may have missed it. Good lookin rig! I like how you're doing as much as you can on your own. The grill job was sweet. How do you like the wrangler Dura-Tracs? I was going to get those but went with the Toyo MT's instead, we get plent of mud up here in the Northwest!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM

Mitch, thanks for your comments, I lifted my truck a total of 4". I used, the Toytec 3" spacer kit, plus a 1" BD by 4Crawlers. The ride is okay, but in the future, i plan to upgrade the front to coilovers. On the tires, i was looking for tires that would do good not only offroad but also onroad , the Duratracas were the obvious option. These tires are rated at 40k miles which is good for any offroad tire, and they also have an excellent grip. As you know my truck is 2WD, and I haven,t gotten her stuck yet out here in the Mojave desert. So far i have put about 24k miles on them, and still have like 70% thread left.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Locktight

Originally Posted by traxxi2003
Ok, a little update, I just received the used "Lock Right" Locker that I got from EBAY for $104.00 shipped. i also have new 4.88 gears on the way, they should be here tomorrow. So far the best gear install quote I've been able to get is from "YotaMasters" they are located in Corona Ca. They offered to do the installation for $225.00, that is just for labor, I will be providing all the parts. They only problem is that it will be quite a drive for me, about 3+- hour drive depending on traffic. There is another local shop, but their experience with Toyota rear end's is limited. Their quote was $250.00. Anyway here are some pics of the locker, tomorrow I will post some pics of the gears. Enjoy!!

Not bad for $104.00!
Have you noticed any negative aspects of the Lock Right with you daily driving? Any popping noises when turning etc? Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 PM

MalachiRunner, I've nothing but good things to say about this locker. I've put over 20,000 miles already and its been great. Yes, occasionally you will hear a somewhat of a loud popping noise, but I was told that it is normal operation on theses lockers. Today I was driving thru snow, and the handling was not affected. My truck is 2WD, when I go offroading here around the California City desert, so far I haven't gotten stock. I recommend this locker 100%

Pros- to many to list (great economical locker)
Cons- ocassional popping noise followed by some rear end jerking (normal operation for these lockers)
Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow. just came upon this thread searching SATOSHI GRILL MOD.

your 4runner looks awesome.

wife's is a 2006, but I plan on doing her's up a bit.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:48 PM

how though

ive been looking into what people say about grinding down the front rotors on 4runners has it been safe for you so far, im highly considering doing it myself
Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 PM

Well, although I recognize that grinding the calipers down in order to make my wheels fit was not the safest nor the smartest thing to do. That been said I have put more than 40k miles on the truck since and I haven't had any problems.