Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Z-Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z-Max

Has anyone used that Z-Max stuff? I've seen at Pep Boys. It's supposed to protect the engine and increase fuel economy. But it's $35 per kit.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:30 PM

whoa, i was just thinkin of posting something on ZMAX. ive seen it on tv numerous times, but i actually sat down and watched the infomercial. seems good, but who knows. i might try it. i asked my mechanic, and he said he was lookin into it. i said id buy it and try it. he said he wanted to box after i was done so he could read it
Old 12-20-2002, 04:01 PM

I haven't heard of this one but it sound like the claims of 'engine additive'. IMHO find out how it works (what is chemically going on), Anything with teflon avoid, some others add velcosity, just keep you oil changes regular. The oil product that makes any sense to me is Tribotech. Haven't seen much difference in the '97 tercel I have, but in diesel AG engines working in hot summer temps. I did see a decrease is operating temps. So the claim that it reduces friction is proven to me. No additives and regular oil changes got my 22R to 298K and I often run it way overweighted
Old 12-20-2002, 04:40 PM
Away

Here is a really good article on Oil Additives and Engine Treatments. I have read a lot of these things. Zmax was one of the additives found to actually improve fuel economy - for the first 1000 miles after adding it, then it returned to pre-treatment levels.

Anyway, you can read for yourself.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 12-20-2002, 07:42 PM

I watched one of those consumer programs on the tube a while back. They tested the Z-Max stuff and found it was not much more then colored mineral oil.

If you think you really need to use an additive use the Tribotech stuff. It is the one and only additive that seems to do what it says. One of the local radio and TV guys that does a car show tested it and showed it does what it claims.

A better way to go is to use an oil that does not need any additives like AMSOIL. It is chaulked full of the good stuff to the point if you add any more then you may start causing problems.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com