Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

You've been doing it wrong. Seafoam injection port

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The white smoke coming out of the exhaust is seafoam that's in steam form. Steam is the only way to burn carbon out of an engine.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by kball
The white smoke coming out of the exhaust is seafoam that's in steam form. Steam is the only way to burn carbon out of an engine.
WOW! Didn't know this. So on the 3VZE..still feed it through the booster hose too? Just askin.

-Ted
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 AM

So where do I do add this stuff in?
I have a 1996 4Runner and can not seem to get a clear picture as to where I am supposed to put this stuff. Do I allow the engine to suck it in the line pictured above or do I follow that line to the end and let it suck in from there?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll see the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve on the passenger side valve cover. Its a plastic 90* valve with a hose attached to it. The hose then runs to the throttle body. If you pull the hose off at the 90* valve, your idle will lope and you'll feel a strong vaccum coming from the HOSE. Thats where you let the seafoam in.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kball
Steam form? I thought steam was water vapor? Sea foam is petroleum based.

I believe seafoam is just a light solvent. It goes into the intake, and essentially dissolves the black soot like you would do if you pulled the plenum off and did it by hand with a wire wheel and brake clean.

Secondly, once its made itself into the combustion chambers, it burns slightly hotter and in turn burns off carbon, or whatever things may be inside that wouldn't be burned with normal operating combustion temperatures.

I have noticed it burn white as well when put into the gas tank if I have low fuel. Not the same way it would full power through the intake though.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Really dude,steam??? so pouring water in would do same thing?? hahaha! I know the stuff ive used definitely was burning hotter and i had black smoke? My truck ran so much better after that and still does. Quicker revs and no worrys about pulling out in traffic. I just dont think ANY of that crap at the auto parts actually works in my opinion. Also never heard of shops using seafoam?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 89old blue
Really dude,steam??? so pouring water in would do same thing?? hahaha! I know the stuff ive used definitely was burning hotter and i had black smoke? My truck ran so much better after that and still does. Quicker revs and no worrys about pulling out in traffic. I just dont think ANY of that crap at the auto parts actually works in my opinion. Also never heard of shops using seafoam?

Ha ha yeah yeah, I guess I should choose my words a little better huh? I did say it was seafoam in "steam form" as in, in the form of steam. To put it simply, a vapor.

Baja is right it is 100% petro based and it apparently burns hot enough or becomes a super hot petroleum based "vapor" to burn the carbon.

My point in saying that steam is the only way burn carbon out is that it takes a super hot liquid to do it. Not that Seafoam is a can of water. People would be hyrdro locking their engines every weekend if it was.

Actually I just read a post, not sure if it was here or another forum, where a guy made it sound like he poured it in the hose first and then started the engine later. Kinda made me cringe...
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually water injection does clean the engine. It also lowers intake temps and reduces pinging. I use 50/50 mix of water/methanol sprayed in before the supercharger when ever I get over 4 psi of boost. http://www.aquamist.co.uk/
Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM

That's just stupid on his part well seafoam is mainly Pale oil aka machine oil by about 40-60% and naphtha which is probably the only reason it burns with the help of one other household ingredient
Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually yes, on any new to me engine i actually will run a gallon of water though the engine the same way as seafoam only not stopping and letting it sit. Then a can of seafoam through the intake and another can in the gas.

I then drive it for 15 mins to make sure it is all gone and then change the oil. Works wonders for me on ever car i have tried it on.

Also like MT_goat said water injection also works great at keeping the engine clean. I have noticed that when looking down my spark plug holes it is noticeably cleaner the longer i have the water injection running.

The inside of the intake and supercharger are also VERY clean.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM

did that the other day seems so much better, more smoke too
Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 AM

I just seafoamed my engine this weekend, and when I had poured half the can in, I shut the engine off and removed the key, but the engine kept going on it's own for another 10 seconds or so. Anyone else seen that?

Thanks for the tip on the PCV port, I did it by the brake booster the first time and didn't even think about the distribution of it. The engine struggled more pouring it into the pcv. A friend and I both did it at the same time this weekend, then drove off and practically choked a jogger. I felt kind of bad.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

I just dont think ANY of that crap at the auto parts actually works in my opinion. Also never heard of shops using seafoam?
I have worked at dealerships that use seafoam, also each auto manufacture has their own "top engine clean" which is pretty much the same thing as seafoam.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM

So how much seafoam are you putting in the PVC hose? A full can?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Conklballs32
So how much seafoam are you putting in the PVC hose? A full can?
I will usually do at least a full can but in 3 treatments letting it sit between them.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:08 PM

not to mention,you will definantly find every exaust leak!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Are you taking the pcv valve out and pouring the seafoam in the hole? Planning on doing this this weekend. Just wanting to know if I'm doing this correctly. Thanks in advance. New to Yotatech.

Patrick
Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 PM

^ it's the other end- take the hose off from the PCv and let the seafoam get sucked by the plenum...
Old 12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lekiboy
^ it's the other end- take the hose off from the PCv and let the seafoam get sucked by the plenum...
On the supercharger the PCV hose will work but I don't think it feed all cylinders with the NA manifold.

You want a hose as close to the TB as possible to make sure that all cylinders get it.