Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

you wont believe this sh*%

Old 03-10-2003, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you wont believe this sh*%

so i went to costco to get my tires installed...wait three hours for these slow dumb sob punks to finish my truck with BFG 265/75r16.

after 3 hrs the manager comes up to me and refuses to put these tires on my truck.

my response " I have already paid for the tires and they were approved by two of your sales people as the perfect tire to fit on my truck" (plus at least half of you guys say you have them and love them)
The maager says "Iwill refund your 650 dollars and you can leave before i put these tires on your truck!."

so i settle on ordering the 265/70r16 but i am reluctant...i can still buy these tire an have them installed elsewhere for 80 dollars. they will cost 590 for the four tires and 80 for install is it worth it? or should i settle for the 265/70r16 for the same price???:cry:
Old 03-10-2003, 04:39 PM

why wouldn't they put them on???????? too big??? or what? tell that guy to just put them on for you.

if you ask me go with the bigger ones!!
Old 03-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

What was the reasoning behind that?
Old 03-10-2003, 05:07 PM

Youre probably victim of company policy. I know the Fleet Farm stores near here WILL NOT mount ANY tire size other than what it says on your rig. If it says 265/70/R15 thats the ONLY tire they will mount. Fleet Farm is very honest about it and will tell you right out its because they fear law-suit. (they knowingly violated manufacturer recomendation....blah-blah-blah)
HOWEVER!!!! If you bring your RIMS in, in the bed of another truck, they (Fleet Farm, I cant speak for Costco) have absolutely no problem w/ mounting the tires of your choice! The only bummer is, you have to jack up the rig and leave it on jackstands while you go play a "shell game" w/ these guys. If you want the tires that badly, (it does sound like a great $$$) see if they will mount the tires on the rims and balance them for you.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:32 PM

Exclamation mann I would be mad

Man sorry to hear that. I would be very mad for wating soo long.I say if everyone says they have them I say go for it bigger size for the same price.What was the reason anyway way they couldn't put them on ?well I say go for the 265-75-16 take it easy
Old 03-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

A local Costco here in Portland said the same thing...Company policy.

They said they would sell me the tires but not mount them. They even gave me the name of a shop close by that would mount and balance them.

I think it's probably a liability thing. They should have been more upfront with you tho...Bummer!:confused:

Mick
Old 03-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Re: you wont believe this sh*%

do you have a 4wheel parts or a discount tires around you? they WILL install them, if you go to discount tires make sure you stand over the high-school dropout punk that is doing your tires so he doesn't start the threads with the air wrench. I think you should be able to get pretty close to that price at one of these stores. I wouldn't give Costco any of your money and let them know why you are going elsewhere. maybe even sears will do it for you.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:49 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

What a crock!!! So what if he had 20 inch rims, you can't mount the factory recommended tire on that...What a load of crap. BTW I'd go with the bigger tires. My neighbor ran into some thing similar a few weeks ago. He has a Kia minivan, and they would not mount this tire that was the same size, just the rating was lower than the recommended rating. So he ended up paying for a more expensive tire. He went to THREE different places Discount, Sears, and Firestone. I guess tire places are getting alot of heat for some reason...maybe because of the ford exploders...oh I mean explorers.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:05 PM

Costco sucks

Had the same problem with Costco just a few weeks ago. They wouldn't put the 33" BFG's I just bought from them on my truck. I had to take the tires and rims off my truck and bring them in "loose". What a PITA! Rude tire shop manager was named "Axel". I ˟˟˟˟˟ you not!

Went to Sam's Club a few days ago and bought 35's. They had no problem putting them on my truck and were very helpful, courteous, and quick.

I will not buy tires at Costco again.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

My $.02-
Go to Sears. I paid $480 for BFG 265/75/16s on my rig. Course that was 2 years ago. But give them a try. They didn't blink when I told them they were larger than stock.

RidgeRunner-
That is an awesome avatar! I have the same picture hanging on my theater room wall. "Power" is the name of it.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:49 AM

I went to Sears about 9 years ago in Massachusetts to have some 225/75 r15's put on my Sidekick, they wouldnt do it because of the OEM recommendations for a smaller tire, said my truck would flip over, 7 years later of driving with 235/75 r15 M/T it never came close to rolling over, 'cept when i was doing donuts in some mud and the outside rear tire hit a small pothole, that lifter her up on two wheels briefly
Old 03-11-2003, 05:03 AM

when I was shopping around Sears told me that they would probably rub a little, since they were bigger. They said that they would install them if I wanted though. However, it ended up that they said "they were on backorder, and no one in the country has them right now" 9which was like around December) and they told me I had to wait ANOTHER 8-9 weeks. (I had already ordered them, and they said it would be 1-2 weeks.)

ANYWHO, I ended up at Goodyear, and actually got my BFG's through The local Goodyear dealer, which ended up being about 50 less than sears price, because they were gonna give me about 10$ higher, but then I told them Sears hooked me up, and so they matched, and went LOWER! Amen for the local Goodyear fella's!

So if you try other stores, ask them to match the price! you just never know....

so now you know, and knowing is half the battle.... hahaha sorry it's early
Old 03-11-2003, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the same problem @ Sam's, Costco, and BJ's Warehouse.
They all have a little book that tells them what the OEM tire size is and what also is the upgradeed tire size offered for that vehicle. I'm lucky and have a friend that is a Toy Mech so I just buy the tires now and have him put them on (that way I know it is done right). Sam's wouldn't put 31's on my 96 explorer because the book didn't say the tire was an option, yet it was on the 97.
I agree with the rest of them, go somewheres else, if not available take your rims off and have them put it on.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:46 AM

That sounds completely lame-o. Try another Costco. I bought tires at Costco with my previous truck, and they didn't even have the size that was on the truck. I had to get the next size up, and they had no problems installing them. It was a while ago, so maybe their policy has changed. I wouldn't think that 70 series is THAT bg of a difference from 75 series.

Although my current truck comes with smaller tires than I have now from the factory, what I have now is an option from the factory as a tire upgrade. Wonder what Costco will say....
Old 03-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

I can also recommend Discount or Sears. Both will do a good job... I generally buy from Discount just because the ones out here have great service and rotate/fix flats for free (which I think is a good way to keep business) and are very competetive price-wise.

FWIW Discount mounted Pathfinder ATR 265/75R16's on my '97 SR5 without blinking an eye.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Glenn
I wouldn't think that 70 series is THAT bg of a difference from 75 series.
265/70r16 = 30.61 OD and 10.43 section width
265/75r16 = 31.65 OD and 10.43 section width

you're right no big difference. only 1/2" on the radius which is all that matters. when I went from the 265/70 stocks to bfg 265/75's, discount tires told me that they would even put 285/75's on there for me if I wanted. that was before my lift! it was also at the end of 1999. I have since put a lift on and 285/75 bfg m/t's. if you have to take the wheels off and have them mount the tires so you can go back home and put them back on, I would suggest maybe considering purchasing the meats from an online retailer with or without new wheels, but new wheels. some places I have seen on the web have free shipping sometimes. I think 4wheelparts has free shipping a lot. check out their website.

Last edited by keisur; 03-11-2003 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Re: mann I would be mad

Originally posted by flips4runner
Man sorry to hear that. I would be very mad for wating soo long.I say if everyone says they have them I say go for it bigger size for the same price.What was the reason anyway way they couldn't put them on ?well I say go for the 265-75-16 take it easy
Hey Ridge,

Where did you get the KEWL A$$ AV. Now that is very TIGHT! Just curious!
Old 03-11-2003, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What if you already have the same size tires on your truck and your just replaceing them will they refuse to give you the same size.

˟˟˟˟ like this is why I avoid these places, I go to an independant guy who special orders all the tires for his customers, what they want is what they get
Old 03-11-2003, 02:11 PM

get the avatar you want...

go to any poster website, copy the thumbnails or photoshop the larger ones to the avatar specs. put up whatever you want up.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

here's that pic you guys wanted, it came to me in an email about 3 weeks ago: I have more cool military pics from the same email if you want them too.

Search this Thread