Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

For You Synthetic Non-Believers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For You Synthetic Non-Believers

Had to share this with you all. I like synthetics, whether it's engine oil, tranny, gear oil, etc.

Link
Old 01-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Right on

I am a firm beleiver in synthetic oil throughout the whole rig.

My brother in-law has been using it for over 20 years now in all of his Toyotas (how do you think I got hooked on Toyota ) my sister's car, and all of his son's cars run synthetics.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:20 AM

I used synthetics in all of my vehicles. Thats all my mustang saw every 3,000 miles was a fresh change of Mobil 1.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, that's amazing. Good find. But I certainly need to switch, the only thing I like about the dealer doing it though is that I don't know all the zerk fittings on my Tundra to lube them, while the dealer knows and will do it. Soon though I will get the damn manuals to do them myself.

What is cool is in the 2nd gen runners, the fittings were all on a car in your visor. I wonder if 3rd Gen's do this?
Old 01-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.... I hate to object, however.....

He offers no maintenace records for either vehcile. If the vehicle on the right had not been maintained properly ( oil changes as prescribed ) that is exactly what it would look like after 30,000 miles.

I have taken apart engines that have never used synthetic oil, with many more miles that 30,000, and have been properly maintained. They dont look like that (right pic).

Sorry, but this is only evidence that not changing your oil will result in sludge build up. NOT that synthetic oil is superior.

(prepares to be flamed)
Old 01-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Jay

the only thing I like about the dealer doing it though is that I don't know all the zerk fittings on my Tundra to lube them
You can always supply them with the synthetic oil to have them use it.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:35 PM

Hahahaha. I knew you'd bite a bit on the worms I tossed out.

Synthetic / dino oil discussions would not be the same without you Jay! I know you believe strongly in regular oil & regular service intervals and I can't rant & rave enough about synthetics.

I agree that we disagree on this topic and probably will forever. But if regular works for you, I can't say I blame you for sticking by it. I feel synthetics are the better choice for me (well, my vehicles actually...it's bad for my wallet).
Old 01-16-2003, 01:51 PM

Isn't that just the "brown death" film that gadget talked about? The guys on the supra board say syntec is known for that. That stang post says-

"LEFT: An 1998 model with 40k miles 100% Synthetic
Mobile One since inconception at 8 miles when purchased.

RIGHT: An 1996 model with 30k miles on normal 10W-40,
10k miles on 5W-50 Castol Synthetic (I bought it at 30k)."

I see that the motor has 10k with the castrol synthetic. Just proves what the man gadget told us in the first place, and a good reason to use Amsoil. Although I use Royal Purple............
link
Old 01-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Jay

The only reason I posted, was because I dont feel this is a accurate measure of what really happens. His post is misleading.

There is no evidence that the vehcile on the right was properly maintained. Had he provided information about the "right" vehicle, regarding past oil change intervals and mileages, it would be somewhat more valid.

Im only depating the "tests" validity. Not whether or not Synthetic is better or not.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:06 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
As much as I believe in synthetics, I still can't discount the fact that 3 of my Toyotas used the fossil oil and were changed at 3-4,000 mile intervals. My '81 Celica was in top shape when sold w/178,000 miles; my '88 Camry was in great shape when sold with 215,000 miles; my '90 4Runner purred like a kitten when sold w/210,000 miles and the guy has put an additional 12,000 miles on the 4Runner.

I currently run syntetic in my wife's Camry and fossil in my 4Runner and my son's Saturn.

The bottom line is to do your maintenance at the proper interval. Although I believe synthetics ARE superior to fossil, it doesn't mean that you won't get excellent life out of a vehicle using fossil.

Just my $.02
Old 01-16-2003, 06:19 PM

Question: Do those of you, who use Syth and don't change your oil yourself, ask for the empty quarts back ?
I took my old car to the super-lube and could watch... The Toyota dealership actually has a good deal on oil changes, but I'm not going to be able to watch them (I don't think.)
Just curious.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I take my Amsoil & filter with me to the Express Lube at my Toyota dealership, and let them have at it.

I get 1/2 quart back, as I take in 6 full ones, and my 3/0 takes 5.5 qts.

I want to take a moment also to say I dig my dealer.
There are about 6 of us on the forum here who use the same dealer that I do, and they do excellent work.

They take off my skid plate all the way when they change the oil, and they also rinsed it off with a hose.

Also a year ago they took extra long and I was getting a little miffed.
Turned out they retapped my holes in the frame and put in all new bolts for my skid plate, as the old holes and bolts were stripped and not holding well.

Cost?
Uno, Zero, zilch.
Did I mention I love my dealer?

Corey
Old 01-16-2003, 08:41 PM

Does anyone what success can be had with the extended life (25k-35k) synthetic oils? My 97 SR5 V6 2WD has +130k miles of conventional oils.

I asked Amsoil this question:

What oil should I use in a 1997 Toyota 4Runner V6-3.4L FI? Should the oil be different if I add a supercharger or other less agressive modifications? My primary driving is a 27 mile commute that takes 20-25 minutes to go the first 3.5 miles. My goal is performance and gas mileage, not necessarialy in that order. Gas mileage at least provides a technical justification for modifications. (But, I love performance! I just can't open it up very often.) Thanks

and

Amsoil Tech Support wrote back:

It is really difficult to get the best of two worlds in one vehicle. Without the supercharger, we suggest our AMSOIL Synthetic 5W30 Motor Oil (ASL). If you add the supercharger or a turbo charger, we suggest our AMSOIL Synthetic Turbo Formulated 10W30 Motor Oil (ATM).

From a purely technical perspective the molecular performance of synthetics is supposed to be superior. But, when you change out he oil type after a number of miles is there a real risk or is CYA time from the manufacturer. Obviously, the engine would have to be flushed properly prior to the change over.

Also, I am intrigued by the option for a remote dual filter set up that ran across. Anyone have success with this filter setup? I believe Gadget's or Amsoil's site had the system.