Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A YotaTech Dedication

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool A YotaTech Dedication

I just got back from wheelin' today up in the Santa Barbara area. The trail was called Camino Cielo Road and was a pretty good trail for my 4x2. It ends right at the entrance of the (Ronald) Reagan Ranch. It was pretty bumpy and rocky throughout most of the non-paved part. My truck handled it quite well though. Here are a few pics... the last photo is the best!

Thanks for looking!
Old 07-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet truck, and very nice pictures .

One thing though (just a warning from experience), your truck is illegal. It's got no front orange reflectors . I don't mean this as a pun, just as a warning .

Gee, sometimes I wish we had trails like that around here in NoCal.

Edit: You didn't make it up that rock did ya?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

I actually got stopped once for my lights... cop had nothing better to do. Must've been outta donuts or something. He asked me to turn on my lights, and they lit up nice and bright orange. He said they were fine... and them proceeded to write me a ticket for my Xenon headlights and first set of rear lights that were pure white with colored bulbs. After that ordeal, I removed the Xenon lights and the tail lights and put on the stock front bulbs along with the Altezza style lights you see on teh rear of the truck now. So, I don't know if the are actually illegal, but I did get the OK on them when I got pulled over last year. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I actually got stopped once for my lights... cop had nothing better to do. Must've been outta donuts or something. He asked me to turn on my lights, and they lit up nice and bright orange. He said they were fine... and them proceeded to write me a ticket for my Xenon headlights and first set of rear lights that were pure white with colored bulbs. After that ordeal, I removed the Xenon lights and the tail lights and put on the stock front bulbs along with the Altezza style lights you see on teh rear of the truck now. So, I don't know if the are actually illegal, but I did get the OK on them when I got pulled over last year. Thanks for the tip though.
No problem, some cops actually don't care what it lights up as, especially when they catch you at night.

I have a question though, why did he write you up for Xenons?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Like I said, I think he just had a bad morning. It was 7am in Glendale. I'm 200 yards from my work building and the cop that was IN FRONT of me, pulls to the side and then gets behind me and lights me up like a Xmas tree. He says my rear lights are illegal. I told him that a friend cop of mine said it was legal as long as I had colored bulbs in place of the white ones. I spent like $60 to get special colored bulbs to supposedly make the tail lights "street legal". He also proceeded to check the rest of the lights on my truck. He asked me to turn on my 4-ways. I didn't know what the hell he meant, so he said my hazards. I did, they lit up bright orange. He looks kinda pissed for a second and then said OK... now turn on your headlights. I did and his face kinda smirked... he comes to my window and says, those are illegal too. You can't have blue lights. I proceed to tell him how higher end manufacturers like Infiniti and BMW have been using Xenon lights for years... why would mine be illegal? He said if they had come from Toyota... it would be OK. But since they weren't stock and I purchased them as an aftermarket upgrade, they were illegal. It was this whole stupid ordeal. He just wanted to give me a ticket I think. So, he did. He walked away sort of satisfied and I started my day off late to work and in a crappy mood! It's the one draw back to a nice vehicle... you get noticed by more than the average driver. Cops take notice too!
Old 07-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

I can't believe you had to go through that, that just sucks. A lot of people I know went through the same torture. I hope it was just one of those "fix-it" tickets. I heard of the rumor that you can't have blue lights unless they have come from the manufacturer, but I wonder if really bright white lights such as the SilverStars from Sylvana would work, I don't think they are blue. Oh well, cops in CA can be a royal pain sometimes. I personally don't like the Altezzas and I knew there was a story behind them right when I saw 'em . All you really had to do was fab in a red reflector in the back somehow I think...god I don't know, too many vehicle codes. All I know is that all I am gonna do is change my "4-ways" (front) to clear with orange bulbs on my '98. Again, sorry to hear what happened to you man, I bet clear rears looked so much better on that truck, especially with Xenons in front, Woo!
Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 AM
Banned

you dont need to have orange signals up front... DMV in CA stipulates amber or clear.....

my clear turn signals have dot stamping
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is absolute BS that one manufacturer can have xenon headlights but you can't, and if you upgrade to them but they're not stock you can't? WTF is that? Who makes these rules? Probably a dumb broad.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:49 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
I would have asked him to prove that your headlights were not Toyota/Lexas OEM, and then to show where it says that it is illegal to "improve" the visiblity of you vehicle in the regs book. And I'd see him in court.....
As for the blue bulbs, government and military use only blue. DFG, game warderns and USFS use green, and your local friendly johnny law use red/blue combination....and I know I'm forgetten 1 or 2 other colors or color combos....

and it wasn't a dumb broad makin the rules, but a jealous 1 who went postal after hubby left her for the 18yr from next door........

j/k all.....we all know my mother made these rules before she died to make us men suffer.....while she's screaming "payback", and hystercally cackling at us men from the far shore across the river Styxx......

Did I say that??? No offence meant to anyone.
And everything will be alright once your meds kick in.....the ppl w/ the long ..... coats.............. are.......... your.............. friends

They........want........to...........help......... ....you

Get in the van.....
lol had to do it....

Last edited by drkgypsy; 07-31-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Nice pics.

Cops like the one that gave you a ticket deserve an old fashioned beating.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
Like I said, I think he just had a bad morning. It was 7am in Glendale. I'm 200 yards from my work building and the cop that was IN FRONT of me, pulls to the side and then gets behind me and lights me up like a Xmas tree. He says my rear lights are illegal. I told him that a friend cop of mine said it was legal as long as I had colored bulbs in place of the white ones. I spent like $60 to get special colored bulbs to supposedly make the tail lights "street legal". He also proceeded to check the rest of the lights on my truck. He asked me to turn on my 4-ways. I didn't know what the hell he meant, so he said my hazards. I did, they lit up bright orange. He looks kinda pissed for a second and then said OK... now turn on your headlights. I did and his face kinda smirked... he comes to my window and says, those are illegal too. You can't have blue lights. I proceed to tell him how higher end manufacturers like Infiniti and BMW have been using Xenon lights for years... why would mine be illegal? He said if they had come from Toyota... it would be OK. But since they weren't stock and I purchased them as an aftermarket upgrade, they were illegal. It was this whole stupid ordeal. He just wanted to give me a ticket I think. So, he did. He walked away sort of satisfied and I started my day off late to work and in a crappy mood! It's the one draw back to a nice vehicle... you get noticed by more than the average driver. Cops take notice too!
glendale cops are the worst---lived there, done that. thats your problem, not the lights and bulbs.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:25 PM

So if I got this right drug dealers, rapists, murders, taggers, are okay but if you have a modified lamp color you make GLENDALE's 10 most wanted????????
Old 07-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

I've been working in Glendale for over 5 years... everytime I bring up cops in Glendale, people cringe. They apparently have a reputation for being A-holes. To make matters worse, when I got the ticket, the cop screwed up (or maybe not) and checked some boxes that made it where it wasn't a simple fix-it ticket. I actually had to appear in court in front of a judge and plead my case. What's funny, is the judge looked at my case, asked why I was there instead of having it fixed. When I told him the sorty... he laughingly said "get out of my courtroom, you don't belong here!". He made it so I could just have it written off by one of the officers downstairs. Hecouldn't believe why the officer write that ticket as well, so he had it thrown out with proof of the lights being corrected. It all ended up good, but like I said earlier, it was this whole ugly ordeal!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:19 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Erik, don't ever go into a town called BURBANK.....they're issued tape measures and yardstick rulers......and lie in wait for "Atered" vehicles.....they make their monthly ticket qoutas on "altered" motor vehicles....and they are all impound happy....and if you have like 4-5 violations at the same time, you are walking home from their.
happened to an ex girl of mine a few yrs back....