Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

the yota died last night

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the yota died last night

i was driving along last night and the pickup pretty much died. I was going to take a corner and it was really icy so I was shifting down to 1st from 2nd and as I was letting the clutch out, the shifter slipped out of the gear and i heard a grinding gear noise and the truck died in the same way as if i had stalled it. At first the truck would not go into gear. Finally we got it into gear by pushing the clutch in halfway (that got it unstuck). We tried to start the truck and when the shifter was in neutral and first it wouldn't turn over, and when the shifter was in reverse it would simply stall. After playing around with it for a bit we got it started and it was working for about 50m and when i tried to shift from 1st to 2nd the truck died. After that we could still start the truck and we could shift into gear, but it would not go anywhere. There was no power and we couldn't go anywhere. Today we picked it up with a tow truck and brought it back here. I drove the truck around 230km yesterday- with about 200 of those in 2wd and 30 in 4wd. This happened in 4wd. The truck is a 91 22re pickup 4x4. 270,xxxkm.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for what we could check?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Neutural safety switch?
Will it start if you puch the NSS?
Old 02-06-2005, 05:32 PM

It starts now but the truck doesnt go anywhere when put into gear.

I tried to put it in 1st and let the clutch out and the truck doesn't stall so it looks like I will be replacing the clutch. Anyone have any tips, will a clutch off ebay do or should I go OEM? Can I do this my self- i'm not overly mechanically inclined.

[edit]
would something like this be ok:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Last edited by skier; 02-06-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:58 PM

Are you sure the transfer case isn't in neutral?.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 02SE
Are you sure the transfer case isn't in neutral?.
how can i make sure the transfer case is in gear? would that mean a bad transmission? or perhaps an electrical problem? as you can probably tell, i'm a pretty big noob to any sort of mechanical work, but I would like to fix this myself.

When I put it into gear, it feels like it always has and when I let off the clutch there isn't any noise or grinding or anything. Stepping on the accelerator while in gear revs the engine but the truck doesn't go anywhere. Is it possible I completely ruined the clutch and there is no contact with it? Could I be looking at something else perhaps?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by skier
how can i make sure the transfer case is in gear?
Grab the stick and push it to 2HI.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 PM

I put it in 2HI and tried.. nothing, 4hi.. nothing, 4lo... nothing. When I shifted between them I could hear a little click. Could there be an electrical issue with changing the transfer case? manual transmission btw (don't think i mentioned it before).

Last edited by skier; 02-06-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skier

I tried to put it in 1st and let the clutch out and the truck doesn't stall so it looks like I will be replacing the clutch. Anyone have any tips, will a clutch off ebay do or should I go OEM? Can I do this my self- i'm not overly mechanically inclined.

[edit]
would something like this be ok:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
that's the clutch i run in my truck, i like it so far
Old 02-07-2005, 08:10 AM

i think I will order that clutch, thanks. The only thing that is really makingme hesitate is the fact that the clutch was always fine before- i don't think it slipped before on me and then all of a sudden it does this? When I let the clutch out I don't feel any catch-or slip for the matter- at all. I might as well be in neutral. Is that possible, or should i be feeling *something*? Would checking the fluid for shavings confirm anything? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I would think that if one of your shifting rods broke in the transmission then it might be causing the problem you are descibing. I remember when I was a kid my dad's girlfriend had a Nissan pickup that had a similar problem. Something went wrong with the transmission but I do not remember exactly what it was. I think that most of the gears were locking up so it would not go anywhere. One of the gears worked. I think it was 3rd or 4th and it worked like 2nd. Try putting it in every one of the gears, including neutral and reverse, then slowly let out the clutch to see if some of them do anything different. I do not think that your truck would be stalling if the clutch is broken, but it would if the transmission is locking.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 02-07-2005 at 10:41 PM.