Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Yikes - Too much stuff..brain overload!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yikes - Too much stuff..brain overload!

Wow, what an awesome website. Guys, please bear with me. I'm trying to decide on just a few things for now and I'm getting over loaded with ideas. Here is my problem -- I just want to take care of the slight sagging problem on my 93 Runner, plus I'm considering an aftermarket front bumper for a winch. I've sort of decided on Bilstein Shocks for the front and back, and a bumper and winch like Corey has on his Runner. My question is -- Will the Bilstein Shocks improve my 4 wheeling capability, yet still give me a nice road ride? And will the Bilstein Shocks remedy the sagging in back and be stout enough should I decide to use the bumper and winch that Corey has? Thanks a lot you guys and please accept my apology for my assinine questions. I'm kinda new to the 4Runner scene but so far I am super jazzed with this machine! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Scott, welcome to information overload
We were just talking today too on the infamous butt sag problem with 2nd gens.

You can see in there how I cured my aging saggy @ss.
Cheaper than liposuction too.

The shocks alone will not raise you in the front or rear, they will only tighten up the ride.
Most 2nd genners go for the Downey HD coils for the rear, or some go with the OME brand too.
I think the OME will raise you higher, Josh would have the answer to this since he runs them.

I am happy with my Downey's, and they have been on there since the spring of '99.
No need to apologize for any ?'s. That is how info gets out there for others to see.

Welcome to the board, and thanks for the comps.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Banned

Woo Hoo!! There are more Coloradans joining every day!! Welcome aboard Scott.

I'll comment on the front bumper and winch questions. If you have a V6 motor and a bunch of accessories and weight on the front you will begin to see front end sag as well. If you have the 4 cylander motor you can add more weight like winch and bumper without upgrading the front suspension.

With a V6 and a heavy ARB bumper like Corey has you really need to upgrade your tortion bars to around 25mm diameter. I opted for a relativly light Rockstomper front bumper to hold my winch. Since I have a 4 Cyl. I feel that the stock 22mm T-bars are adequate for my weight up front. The extra weight kind of softened up the ride which I like.

Bilstein shocks, or any shocks will not cure sag by themselves. You need new springs to fix the sag and/or add lift.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:32 PM

Thumbs up Yikes, overload!

Thanks Corey and Matt for the suggestions and help. New springs it is. Then the Bilstein Shocks! I hope I don't look like this when I get the bill ---->