Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Yakima Loadwarrior on stock rack, height?

Old 04-15-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yakima Loadwarrior on stock rack, height?

So I have been wanting to pick up a Loadwarrior for some time and I will be installing it on the factory rack of my '99 Runner. I am wondering though, if I will still be able to get in my garage as it's going to be a tight fit. Can anyone tell me the height from the roof to the heighest point of the rack when installed?

I found what appears to be a decent deal from Moosejaw.com if anyone is interested. $220.40 (on sale and coupon code "Moose"), shipping is free.

Moosejaw deal

If anyone knows of a better deal right now, feel free to fill me in!

I've searched and only found one reference to this question but it was with aftermarket bars... (there are a lot of Yakima posts here so if I missed it... )

Thanks!
Ed
Old 04-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

does it come with all the mounting brackets you'll need to get it on? i have been looking for something like this..gonna put lights on it also!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

I've got a megawarrior, and I'm goona say that it's roughly 9-10" higher than the roof. This includes the rack on stock 4runner bars
Old 04-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

I really thought mine road way too high. I also did it on the stock roof racks. Maybe not so high on Yak towers? I just never seemed to use it and putting the spare on it, whch was the main purpose for getting it was out of the question with it that high.

They are great rakcs though.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Didn't realize the pic sucked that bad.
Try this one.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by HOJU
I've got a megawarrior, and I'm goona say that it's roughly 9-10" higher than the roof. This includes the rack on stock 4runner bars
I have 10.5" from the roof to where the door stops now. I should be able to adjust the door to go up maybe another 2" but I have been having some issues with this adjusment before...

If you happen find yourself at your truck with a measuring tape, an actual measurement would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by fireteacher
does it come with all the mounting brackets you'll need to get it on? i have been looking for something like this..gonna put lights on it also!
I am pretty sure it does.
I would like to put lights on it too, but I think that would definitely give me some garage clearance issues.

It kind of sucks that I am having to limit my mod options (lift, tires...) because of my garage door. :pat:

Thanks,
Ed
Old 04-15-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Didn't realize the pic sucked that bad.
Try this one.

Lookin good!
Your garage seems to a pretty tight squeeze too!

Good thing you're already lifted because any higher might be a problem.

Ed
Old 04-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BC_Runner
I have 10.5" from the roof to where the door stops now. I should be able to adjust the door to go up maybe another 2" but I have been having some issues with this adjusment before...

If you happen find yourself at your truck with a measuring tape, an actual measurement would be greatly appreciated.
I'll get take a measurement tonight, and have it for you tomorrow morning
Old 04-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BC_Runner
Lookin good!
Your garage seems to a pretty tight squeeze too!

Good thing you're already lifted because any higher might be a problem.

Ed
THis pic was taken before the BL and tires about 8 months ago. My Runner looks a lot diff. now.

I have put it in the garage for vacations but usually the garage is my "man room". Weather in San Diego is so good we just leave the vehicles outside.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
THis pic was taken before the BL and tires about 8 months ago. My Runner looks a lot diff. now.

I have put it in the garage for vacations but usually the garage is my "man room". Weather in San Diego is so good we just leave the vehicles outside.
Thanks
man room...haha. yeah our weather up here isnt so friendly.

BC Runner (nice to see another bc'er up here btw ) if youve still got 10+ inches of clearance, should be ok. youre not currently lifted are you? another option i was researching was to buy a surco. their mounting brackets replace the oem racks, so that should save you a couple inches. not sure if the yak setup has mounts that replace the oem bars...if so, id go for those. i find it kind of useless to have to mount on top of the oem racks instead of in place of em. id think with a proper mounting system into the oem bolts on the roof rails, it would hold up better than clamping it to the oem rack...
Old 04-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

I measure 9.25" on my load warrior...
Old 04-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by HOJU
I measure 9.25" on my load warrior...

Thank you!

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
man room...haha. yeah our weather up here isnt so friendly.

BC Runner (nice to see another bc'er up here btw ) if youve still got 10+ inches of clearance, should be ok. youre not currently lifted are you? another option i was researching was to buy a surco. their mounting brackets replace the oem racks, so that should save you a couple inches. not sure if the yak setup has mounts that replace the oem bars...if so, id go for those. i find it kind of useless to have to mount on top of the oem racks instead of in place of em. id think with a proper mounting system into the oem bolts on the roof rails, it would hold up better than clamping it to the oem rack...

I've been looking at the Surco too and had finally decided on the Yakima, now you're making me rethink the whole decision...

I really like the look of the Yakima and that it has the fairing but it does mount on top of the OEM bars. From the pics I've seen, the Surco looks like it sits much closer to the roof.

Oh well, back to

Oh and, back at you fellow BC'er! Judging from Photobucket page we have similar tastes in cars. I've owned a couple VW's before hearing the call of the Yota.

Ed