Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

X-Reas install...

Old 08-19-2003, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question X-Reas install...

I understand that if you lift you 2003 4runner that has X-Reas, then the X-Reas has to come off.

If I were to buy the system from someone that has taken it off, would I be able to install it on my 2003 v6 non 4x4?
Old 08-20-2003, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

It is unclear to me if the XREAS is computer controlled. If so then I doubt you could make the switch. But if it is basically a mechanical system, then it seems like it is a possibility.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge/experience will chime in.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:09 AM

Good question. I think it's probably computer controlled but more then likely the components are already on your truck.. I bet this is going to be a popular mod in the next few years or even months... Let us know if you do it..
Old 08-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

doubtful that those that didn't get the x-reas can install the x-reas from another member. best way to check is if u look at the underside, you will notice that there are no parts down there for the x-reas.

i guess ultimately if you really want it, you'd have to install all the components which might be a pain in the rear. and I'm guessing that it's computer controlled as well....

you're better off just installing some aftermarket shocks/coils...
Old 08-20-2003, 08:43 PM

X reas just means that the left front shock is hydrolically connected to the right rear shock and visa versa. once you break the seal on any part of the system you must replace the entire side shocks and lines as they come pre-pressurized and sealed.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by aztoytech
once you break the seal on any part of the system you must replace the entire side shocks and lines as they come pre-pressurized and sealed.
If this is a closed system, how do you replace the shocks when they are worn? What schedule should these shocks be replaced or checked?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Sac State
If this is a closed system, how do you replace the shocks when they are worn? What schedule should these shocks be replaced or checked?
Part of what aztoytech is probably true. There should be some way to bleed the system once a shock has been replaced.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:36 AM

How about all of what I said is true. Go ahead and break the line loose, see how much it will cost you.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:45 AM

How about all of what I said is true. Go ahead and break the line loose, see how much it will cost you.
There is no need to get smart.. How about you tell us how you know this and back yourself up? You only have 3 posts...

If it's a "closed system" how is it installed in the first place? I think it would be very difficult and if not impossible to install 4 shocks/struts that are all connected to each other.. Do you have an diagrams or schematics of the system? Let's see them...
Old 08-26-2003, 07:29 PM

For one . . . I am a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician . . . factory trained and in the business for over 12 years.

Second . . . You didn't read my original post . . . the lines are pressurized . . . and once connected, it breaks a seal.

Third . . . Only 2 of the shocks are connected at a time. Left front to right rear, and right front to left rear.

I think my credentials back me up.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:21 AM

Second . . . You didn't read my original post . . . the lines are pressurized . . . and once connected, it breaks a seal.

So, are you saying if I want to replace the left rear shock... the right front shock and the center control absorber assy must be replace at the same time?
Old 09-04-2003, 03:06 PM

aztoytech:

You didn't read my original post
And, I don't think you have read a post since your original post.

SacSate asked:
I think his question if pretty damn vaild and I would like to know the answer too.

Maybe your replies are coming out wrong in this medium, but everyone on this board has always been polite and helpful to each other... I suggest you do the same.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:40 PM

Yes if the left rear shock leaks you must replace the right front and all the lines connecting them. As far as the polite thing, his confrontational way of asking his question led me to defend myself. If I was a bit crass, my apologies. But I hate having to defend what I know best. John
Old 09-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

dumb question (sorry..):

if you had to replace the rear left shock (maybe because of an accident or something). how would u replace the shock and ensure that it's pressurized w/ the front right? Because it's going to be mighty difficult to get them pre-pressurized and trying to install it. I'm thinking if one goes bad, that doesn't necessarily mean the opposite side is bad. I think you just have to reseal and repressurize the system and you'll be fine. Am I missing something here or am I just plain wrong?

Just wondering just cuz it's a new system I personally don't have it so I don't have to worry alick about this but thought it might be cool to know (for future reference!)

thanks!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 PM

Yes if the left rear shock leaks you must replace the right front and all the lines connecting them.
Please do understand that my questioning you is truly because of your level of knowledge... not questioning your knowledge.

Why then doesn't the 2003 Toyota 4Runner Repair Manual Volume 2 pages 27-6 through 27-9 (Shock absorber Assy Rear LH w/REAS Replacement) tell me to do as you say? I can find no reference at all in any volume to what you speak of in replacing any component in the REAS?

I am truly not trying to make you mad... just trying to understand why the "whole" procedure is not listed. I am many others use these books as means to be enthusiast and not so reliant on the dealers.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-05-2003, 03:10 PM

Ok since you have access to toyota manuals then you must have access to T.I.S. forget about the manual its not in there you have to go to new car features on tis or if you have the new car features cd or book for 2003 4runner you will also find this info. And if you still can't find the info call tech hotline and ask them yourself.......
Old 09-05-2003, 06:51 PM

And if you still can't find the info call tech hotline and ask them yourself.......

If only I had access to T.I.S., the new car cd, or tech hotline, I would probably not call myself an enthusiast... rather I would be a technician.

I, like many here, sure would love to get a hold of that cd if you could and would for us.

p.s. Why do you continue to take such a defensive attitude toward others questioning? If only you could see that I wish I had even half of your knowledge about Toyotas.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:12 PM

Ok here is what I did today, I checked the manual and like you said, there is no mention of the replacement procedures of the system in case of a fluid leak. No suprise there so I dug through my new car features book.... still nothing so I called up technical hotline and asked where is this info.. His response was yes you do need to replace the entire circuit when there is a leak and the info is only on T.I.S under the new car features section. So I started wondering why Toyota does this, Toyota likes to hide certain information for some reason... For example every year to retain my Master Diagnostic Tech status I have to pass a test that Toyota puts together which is not an easy test. Many of the question's answers are derived from manuals, new car feature books, cd rom training discs, electrical wiring diagrams.....unfortunately not everything is just in the manual with Toyota.

My whole theory is that people are afraid of technology, and would you want to pay extra for this xreas option knowing how much it would cost to fix it if it failed. There are a couple more examples I could give but they dont pertain to 4runners.

I would love to give these books away (I hate storing them) but I need them once a year for the master skills test.

I can explain why the whole circuit of the system needs to be replaced. The shock system is a closed system, once you develop a leak the entire circuit ie..(left rear shock and right front shock) is out of whack compared to the other circuit and unsafe to drive. if you only replaced the shock you would still be out of whack due to insufficient fluid or pressure again unsafe to drive. I hope that this helps. My apologies again I did not realize that Toyota had hidden this info so well.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:03 AM

AZTOYTECH,

Thank you for taking the time to investigate this subject. If you have to put forth such an effort... there is not much hope for someone at my level to find this info.

If nothing else... having the vehicle made this way ensures job security for you.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone want to buy a used slightly leaking X-Reas system?

Just kidding.

I may pull mine off anyway when theres an available lift at a decent price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X-Reas install...