Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

X-reas

Old 07-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-reas

Does this system use 'specific' shocks? How difficult will it be to switch to Bilstein, or others? The X-REAS uses a liquid gas to stabilize diagionally the corresponding shock. Will I be required to always use a OEM Toyota shock to keep this system intact?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Pretty sure the answer is yes to that one. Are you unhappy with the Toyota shocks?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

No, not at all. Rides like a dream, but I am just getting my research done so when the time is right, in a few years, I can replace these shocks with something more formidible during off-roading, or with a suspension lift. Somebody said you could not lift a Runner with X-REAS.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

I have also heard that you cannot lift a truck with Xreas. I believe it is because of the way the shocks are mounted diagnally.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:55 AM

You can still lift the truck but your XREAS will no longer be functional. You are stuck with the OEM shocks if you want to keep the XREAS.... Not to sound like a jerk but you wasted a lot of money if you have plans to lift your truck. You should've got a regular SR5 like Lance. I had the same debate when I bought mine(Sport Edition) because I wasn't sure if I was going to mod the suspension or not. I decided that I wasn't going to and that I really liked the XREAS option.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Just covering all the bases. No lift for some time. I like the SE features over the SR5, besides, this is a daily driver and I like the X-REAS on the road. BTW, I NEVER waste money, just misappropriate it sometimes.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:26 AM

BTW, I NEVER waste money, just misappropriate it sometimes.
LOL.. Me too.. I'm sure by the time your ready to lift your Runner the OEM shocks will be well worn out. Heck if I keep mine that long I may rip all of the XREAS stuff out and lift(SAS of course) down the road..... WAAAAAY Down the road..
Old 07-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Could we install a higher sprung shock in the X-Reas system. A good trail ready Bilstein or TRD shock? In theory, about a half inch in increased height could be had with stiffer shocks.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

I kind of wish I could ADD X-REAS to my 3rd gen. Wouldn't that be cool??

Old 07-09-2003, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kaneman23
your dad has the H2, right

the X-Reas is bitchin, I took a highway entrance ramp almost an L shape at 95 and the neon behind me completly lost it, I pulled over cause I did not want a kid laying in a ditch for days before they found him

What if one wants to lower the truck seeing how Im going for onroad performance.

Why would toyota make the Sport with the X when the sport is aimed at offroad what Toyota made a vehicle unliftable withput cutting out one of it's main features
Old 07-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

The X-REAS is great. I also get a thrill out of getting on or off the freeway loops here and leaving a little ricer behind who was up on my bumper. Pretty impressive for a 4K+ lb truck.

From what I've seen here in the motherland the 4th gen TRD suspension packages available now are only for non X-REAS outffitted rigs.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Woodbert
The X-REAS is great. I also get a thrill out of getting on or off the freeway loops here and leaving a little ricer behind who was up on my bumper.
Whats the deal with them being right on the bumper, several times I had to stop and the kid behind me almost rearended me, great the car is full of stickers, has a big wing, has a buzzing exhaust but takes longer to stop than an SUV more than twice it's weight
Old 07-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Actually you can lift the 4runner w/ the x-reas system I believe.

The system is linked into the shock system itself via diag design.

I believe you can use spacers to give you some height since the spacer is installed between the spring and top place which is in the shock itself. I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'd have to take a peek under the x-reas system to verify but I'm sure that's the case.

So if you want to lift it (mildly), then you can add spacers. As for shocks to replace, you'll have to go OEM stuff as the shocks has to be the same.

X-reas system is good I think. A must for the commuter that does high mileage driving that wants a capable SUV As for me, I knew ahead of time that I'd be doing some "crazy" things to it so I just went with the basic (ofcourse I had to get the moonroof though!) hehe

Lance
Old 07-10-2003, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Thats what I was thinking...spacers should work, cant see why not.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:39 AM

I believe you can use spacers to give you some height since the spacer is installed between the spring and top place which is in the shock itself.
I would have to go with Lance on this one... I do know that Daystar was attempting to make their spacer lift work on x-reas trucks as well. Of course, last I talked to them on this topic, they hadn't even seen an x-reas truck yet to determin if it was possible...

Steve
Old 07-10-2003, 06:55 AM

EDGE

Nope my Dad doesn't have an H2. He is a FORD man..LOL. Anyhow, that was pretty cool about the NEON loosing it on the ramp..

How is TS.com these days?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:24 AM

I am in the same boat.

I cannot decide btw the SR5 and Sport.

You know if I but one with X-reas eventually, I will lift it.

On my 99 I have an Addco Sway bar and Nuke disconnects. For those who have not cornered in a 3rd gen with an Addco Sway bar in FRONT only, I reckon its as close to X-reas as you can get.

It really improves roll stability in the turns BUT does not seem to make the truck overly stiff. With a rear Addco, you loose a lot of articulation and Shaeffers work indicates the stock sway bar is good.

Anyway, after vowing never to go with spacers again, I guess it will be a sport with X-reas for now until SAW develop a coil over unit and Addco have a sway bar...

David
Old 07-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

What didn't you like about the spacers?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

nrgetic99:

you are aware that if you get saw's and if you have the x-reas system, it'll be removed right? just making sure

SAW's are on the way. They should have them done soon (rumor !!) but I'm pretty sure they'll have coilovers soon. Downey will have their coilovers too (hopefully on the shelves by august)...

King ... pending as soon as they get off their butt to finish a set so I can test them out.... grrrr

spacers are good but are the basic setup. Ideal if you want to keep everything relatively cheap when you start doing heavy duty stuff (i.e. front bumper - steel) and major offroading, upgrading to a coilover system is ideal.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 AM

Re: EDGE

Originally posted by kaneman23
Nope my Dad doesn't have an H2. He is a FORD man..LOL. Anyhow, that was pretty cool about the NEON loosing it on the ramp..

How is TS.com these days?
I thought I would ask cause right before I go the 4Runner some guy on Thai board got a 4Runner and he had pics of it next to his fathers H2.

I could have sworn you had a Limited and then you said you had a Sport, that threw me or maybe I read threw the thread to fast.

TS.com, noone really post their and when I do Im like you will find your answers on yotatech I found that it is a Tundra board and a board for Dianne to sell Toyotas

I only really post here now, in 2 weeks I'll check TS.

The Neon it was raining and he had bald tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X-reas