Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wrong torque setting

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong torque setting

I hope I haven't made a mistake by torquing my water pump bolts to much. I was in a rush to get it on before the FIPG set up and forgot to change my torque wrench to 14 ft. lbs.. After realizing what I did, I kept adjusting my wrench to find out what it was torqued to and it turned to be 28 ft. lbs. I also used the metal gasket with rubber membrane on the inside edge of the holes. Did I squeeze out too much sealant or don't worry about it and go on with the installation of my timing belt? Thanks, Frank
Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't torn into my waterpump, but I'm going to guess the housing is what, aluminum? If so, the torque specs may be more for keeping you from cracking the aluminum than anything else.

That said, ain't it going to be a pisser when you put it all back together and the WP has a nice, steady seep? Yeah, it is. If it was *me*, I'd take the thing back off, clean off the FIPG, get a new gasket and install it properly.

Originally Posted by campintruck
I hope I haven't made a mistake by torquing my water pump bolts to much. I was in a rush to get it on before the FIPG set up and forgot to change my torque wrench to 14 ft. lbs.. After realizing what I did, I kept adjusting my wrench to find out what it was torqued to and it turned to be 28 ft. lbs. I also used the metal gasket with rubber membrane on the inside edge of the holes. Did I squeeze out too much sealant or don't worry about it and go on with the installation of my timing belt? Thanks, Frank
Old 03-29-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You should add some info about the vehicle you drive in your signature, so that the answers you get will be more relevant.

You don't even need FIPG on the waterpump when you have the new metal/rubber gasket. Why did you put some on? I assume you installed a new waterpump... the one that doesn't have a groove cut in it for FIPG... If you re-installed the old waterpump (for some reason) then FIPG is what you should have used (and no metal/rubber gasket at all). Toyota re-designed the waterpump to use the metal/rubber gasket (with no FIPG).