Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WRITEUP: How to install an aftermarket oil filter relocator kit

Old 12-15-2004, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
WRITEUP: How to install an aftermarket oil filter relocator kit

Special thanks to Jsharp again for all his wisdom and advice on how to do this installation. Its been done for about 3 weeks now, but due to alot of things, I only got down to writing it a few days ago.

I'm sure I'm going to be loving the once-a-year oil change and the twice a year filter changes.

Article found at: http://www.4runners.org/articles/permacool

This will be the last article for awhile, so enjoy

Bob
Old 12-15-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Nice Set-Up. Ive been thinking about this for awhile too. The install should be pretty much the same for a 22RE I Figure.

The only thing that scares me is only changing the Filter two times a year.
I dunno about that. Are you sure thats safe ?

Two Questions for you: 1: this setup completly replaces the stock filter right ?

2: How come no more write ups ?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Very Nice Set-Up. Ive been thinking about this for awhile too. The install should be pretty much the same for a 22RE I Figure.

The only thing that scares me is only changing the Filter two times a year.
I dunno about that. Are you sure thats safe ?

Two Questions for you: 1: this setup completly replaces the stock filter right ?

2: How come no more write ups ?
4hummer,

Yeah, i dont imagine the process should be any different. In fact, it should be 100% identical. Maybe youll need different angle hose ends, but other than that, it should be 100% the same.

Yes, it completely replaces the *use* of the stock filter. the engine oil adapter thing is spun onto the stock oil filter thing. there are two hoses that come out of it and at the other end, its attached to your "remote" oil filter mount.

Filter changes: Its 6 months or 12,500 miles. As far as 2 filters a year, that is Amsoil's oil filter change interval recommendation. Im sure many members here can attest to it too. I'm going ot have mine analyzed both times.

Writeups: I won't be able to drive for awhile or work on the vee-hickle b/c of my ACL post-recovery. I can barely get into my wife's Camry w/ her assistance. Thus, no writeups for sometime (but not permanently)

Bob
Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. Is there ever a concern about having adequate oil pressure to circulate the oil the extra distance through the remote filter at the appropriate flow rate?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimmer
Nice. Is there ever a concern about having adequate oil pressure to circulate the oil the extra distance through the remote filter at the appropriate flow rate?
Swimmer,

Yes, grasshoppa...very good...and thats why I installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to monitor stock oil pressure *before* installing the aftermarket oil filter relocator so as to verify that there was the same oil pressure after the install

Here's the writeup for the oil pressure gauge: http://www.4runners.org/articles/gaugeoil

Bob
Old 12-16-2004, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

Writeups: I won't be able to drive for awhile or work on the vee-hickle b/c of my ACL post-recovery. I can barely get into my wife's Camry w/ her assistance. Thus, no writeups for sometime (but not permanently)

Bob
Good Writeup!

here is to a speedy recovery!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

What made you choose the permacool instead of the Amsoil relocation kit? Great write-up!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had the "Trans-dapt" kit installed in my rig for about 6 months now and I've changed my oil and filter twice since then. It works out to about 5000 - 6000 Km's per change. Each time I did the change I've noticed that the old oil comes out quite black looking. Now wheather that means that it needed to be changed or it was still okay, I'm not sure, but I could not imagine leaving it in there for a YEAR without changing it.

Also, this kit uses the PH8A filter which is a very common and large sized filter and with the added size, as well as the added hoses, an oil change takes exactly 6 Liters of oil. Even though I use more oil than stock, the PH8A filter is alot cheaper than the stock filter so the $ value evens out.

The ease of changing oil is the best reason for doing this mod plus there is ALOT less spillage and mess.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
What made you choose the permacool instead of the Amsoil relocation kit? Great write-up!
Cost! If I could afford it, I would buy the Amsoil double bypass system. I believe Gadget has one installed on one of his 4runners. Its more effective in terms of filtration.

Bob
Old 12-16-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Swede
I've had the "Trans-dapt" kit installed in my rig for about 6 months now and I've changed my oil and filter twice since then. It works out to about 5000 - 6000 Km's per change. Each time I did the change I've noticed that the old oil comes out quite black looking. Now wheather that means that it needed to be changed or it was still okay, I'm not sure, but I could not imagine leaving it in there for a YEAR without changing it.

Also, this kit uses the PH8A filter which is a very common and large sized filter and with the added size, as well as the added hoses, an oil change takes exactly 6 Liters of oil. Even though I use more oil than stock, the PH8A filter is alot cheaper than the stock filter so the $ value evens out.

The ease of changing oil is the best reason for doing this mod plus there is ALOT less spillage and mess.
Swede,

What kind of oil are you using? For Amsoil's regular synthetic (not the 7500 mile oil or the Series 2000), you can run it 25,000 miles or 1 year. The filters as I mentioned above run 12,500 miles or 6 months. Thus, 1 oil change per year and 2 filter changes per year.

Where do you have your kit mounted? Pics?

Bob
Old 12-16-2004, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do the twice a year change. And had the oil analyzed. They said I could use the oil another year no problem. But on the safe side, when I change the filter half way through the year, I do a quick oil change also. We're talking about 5-7k miles a change. I look forward to the filter mod.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:38 PM

Bob_98SR5, I'm using whatever is on sale (5w-30) thats a quality brand non-synthetic. Oh yeah, I finally picked up a cheap digicam too so here's some picks.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 PM

Swede,

Did you use socketless hoses/hose ends? Looks like you were able to flush fit them. Maybe I'm just a big wuss!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:01 PM

I have always been told that the "blackness" that is typical in dino oil is a combination of oil/viscosity breakdown, particles from engine wear, dirt that is entering the engine through a poor or non-sealed air filter, or a poor or clogged oil filter. This was a normal sight for me in my prior vehicles after about 2000 miles before switching to Amsoil synthetic & Amsoil filters. Now when I change my oil once per year there is no blackness. It is amazing how clean the oil looks after 1 year & about 18,000 miles.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:29 PM

Bob, The hoses came in the kit like that. I didn't have to shorten them or anything.

I was thinking about doing what you did with the 90 degree fittings at the filter mount instead of a big arc like I have, but instead of cutting the hoses to shorten them and pissing around with new fittings I just went with what I had for the time being. Also, the hose that came with the kit would kink too much if I tried to bend it to line up with the 90 degree fittings on the filter mount.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Bob, that looks great...something I'd like to do.

What would you estimate all the parts to cost?

Thanks for yet another great writeup!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:51 PM

Bob, The hoses came in the kit like that. I didn't have to shorten them or anything.

I was thinking about doing what you did with the 90 degree fittings at the filter mount instead of a big arc like I have, but instead of cutting the hoses to shorten them and pissing around with new fittings I just went with what I had for the time being. Also, the hose that came with the kit would kink too much if I tried to bend it to line up with the 90 degree fittings on the filter mount.
swede,

yeah, i got the 90 degree hose end idea from jsharp. it definitely eliminates the big hose arc that you have. i recall reading in the permacool instructions that there is a max bend + inches that you should not exceed. might want to check that out just in case.

bob
Old 12-16-2004, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by GregStevens
Bob, that looks great...something I'd like to do.

What would you estimate all the parts to cost?

Thanks for yet another great writeup!
part costs...if only my pea brain could remember!

i bought the permacool kit from a member here for about $40 shipped
hoses were about $20?
fittings: about $40?

btw, i bought way too much hose. i have enough to do the job again

and i think b/c this is the new socketless system, its more expensive than the traditional connectors. thus, this could be done cheaper. if it were me, id just go w/ the traditional connectors

bob
Old 12-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Ah, that's a lot less than what I was thinking...thanks.

And take care of the ACL...I'm sure it ain't fun! Get well and get back to more great writeups...
Old 12-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Nice write-up Bob... quality work, as usual.
Good luck with the recovery!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WRITEUP: How to install an aftermarket oil filter relocator kit