Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Would You

Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would You

I just put a deposit on a 96 Taco extracab 4x4, It has 386000kms on it, truck runs good, body is in great shape but the interior looks like a racoon got loose in it, everything is destroyed, seats and carpet need to be replaced. The windshield is cracked and the ball joints are gone, the owner also believes the headgasket is gone(3.4l) Im hoping thats not the case. He also had brought it to the dealer to check the frame and it was good. I am getting it for $2500, and pick it up sunday. I am a Toyota Guy and know these trucks, thats why I jumped on it but now Im kinda having second thoughts about it. Initially my plan was to keep it but my funds wont allow me to fix it up right away so now Im thinking of cleaning it up and do what I can and maybe sell it. The truck is stock and as I said body is good, the only option it has is AC which doesnt work, could just need a recharge.
So my question is would you guys have jumped on this.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

I would have, but it seems a bit steep at $2500 considering it might need engine work and obviously needs a good bit of interior work
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know. I would have offered $2k. Either way its a yote and a good start. It really depends if you can do the work yourself or are going to have to pay someone to do it. That could make or break you.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Oh Yeah I would do it myself, I have owned a few yotas in my day so IO know them well enough. The local scrap yard has a few Tacos there to pick parts from.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM

depending if it needs the engine work, i would have. that would make me one hell of a woods truck so i can keep my 4Runner out of the woods. just rhino line the floor and put some recaro or something seats in it. put a custom made camo headliner if thats bad too. SAS that bad boy and youll never have to worry bout the ball joints again. put full coverage on it and insurance will fix the windshield.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know, I think I ould have offered him 2k as well. It has pretty high km's and if the interior is trashed that's a good set of work there. I just got a '96 4runner for 2500 and it's in great shape all it needed was a muffler. It is a 4banger though.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM

I know its a little high, but around here Toyota pick ups are like Gold, especially a Taco. If the motor is screwed then Im screwed, if not then Im sure I can find some seats to throw in it(the seats are where the most damage is) who knows maybe the frame is rotted or will rot in which case I will be very happy, but thats not the reason I bought it.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 AM

I picked up the truck, drove it home with no issues other than the front end needing some work. I didnt notice any smoke, the temp never moved, coolant is good. I never thought to ask why he thinks the headgasket is gone but I cant find anything wrong with it so far, the drive home was 100kms and it ran great. I Love it!!

Search this Thread