Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Would like some opinions... possibly getting new'er' truck

Old 07-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like some opinions... possibly getting new'er' truck

Ok guys/gals,
I would like your opinions please. My husband and I are looking into getting a newer vehicle. I would LOVE to have a Sequoia or a new runner but they don't come in a manual. As a matter of fact I have having a heck of a time finding anything other than a truck with a manual. I would so much prefer a manual over an auto. (I can drive a manual, that is what I learned on when I was starting out). I am just trying to find some "personal" feelings on different vehicles. We are by no means rich or well off, so that is keeping us from buying a "brand spanken new" vehicle. Ok here is what I want...

Toyota (most preferably!!)
Manual (if possible, most preferable)
Enough room for 3 car seats in the back seat (the 95 runner is a tight fit)
Enough room in the cargo place for 3 dog crates (small to med. sized), plus suitcases. (Yes we fit 3 crates, 3 suitcases, a grooming table (for the dogs), a grooming dryer (for the dogs, but works well for me ) , and other misc. stuff.)
Something that gets "decent" gas milage
Preferably a V8

Well if any of ya have the "perfect" car in mind I would love to hear your opinions!!! Thanks all of you for all your help concerning all my (sometimes) dorky questions. Have a wonderful day!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 LC. Sorry no manual.

BTW, V8 and Decent mileage should not be in the same post. The LC has an I6 and gets marginal mileage
Old 07-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure if its possible to find everything on your list on one vehicle. Um how about a Sienna? Seems most practical. Or a double cab Tundra? Sorry not much help but good luck on your search.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 AM
Contributing Member

The Land Cruiser would fit most of your needs as would a Sequoia. The nice thing about an automatic with kids is that you don't have to fool around with the gears and the passenger can turn around and attend to the children without knocking the thing out of gear, etc. I wouldn't go back to a manual on a truck or family vehicle, especially in this day and age of heavy traffic. I'd say get a Sequoia with an auto and a Miata with a manual Just my two cents
Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think you are going to find anything that large with a manual.

I thought I would hate my auto in my 4Runner, but it is nice. I don't have to worry about shifting and downshifting when I am pulling my boat. Like 4RunnerFever said, find a bigger SUV (Sequoia, LC, Pathfinder Armada, etc) and if you are still itching on driving a manual, get a sports car!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:08 AM

Judging by your post, what you really need is a van or minivan. No kidding. Flame away....

Seriously though, if you just need something that will carry lots of stuff (kids, dogs, gear) and you don't need to go offroad or tow heavy loads (your post said nothing about that) then some sort of a van would be ideal. But you won't get a manual, and a V8 would not get great mileage.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

What about a Yukon Denali XL . I think that is the only other truck besides a 4Runner I can say looks nice.
I know it's not a yota, But it's big.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:28 PM

Here's the deal

Ok- Not only do we own my 2002 Runner but we also have a Suburban. Not only do I love both cars, but let me tell you something. The Burb doesn't get great gas mileage. Yes, ours has something like a 40 gallon tank and we only need to fill it up like once a month, but that doesn't mean that we are getting great guns mileage out of it. The only, and I repeat only, time that anything like a Denali XL/Burb is going to get great gas mileage is when you are in a flat ass state and going 60 miles an hour on cruise with nothing in the back. Talk to me when you find an area like that. Also, I have to agree with the guys on the van front. I wouldn't want to be lifting 3 kids out of a Burb. Not only is it a long ways in to the middle seat, and your pants are going to get muddy but you are going to pull something and hurt yourself with the height clearance. Get a van. You won't wreck your back trying to lift stuff up, the seats fold down just like any SUV and not only will you get better gas mileage but you will pay less for insurance. I would never give up the SUV's that we have because they fit the sort of stuff that we do (boat towing etc.) but we also have a little Golf GTi that has a 6 speed and that's what we drive when we want to have fun. Not when we are lugging 3 kids, 3 dogs and something called a grooming table.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:35 PM

How about telling us your price limit if you don't mind?

If possible (affordable) I'd say get a used FJ-100 (98+LC) I really don't think you will mind the auto tranny in a Landcruiser