Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is it worth taking motor apart to clean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth taking motor apart to clean?

I have 180,000 miles on my 2.7L. I replaced the header gasket and noticed a lot of carbon buildup. So I wondered if it's ever worth taking the motor apart to clean everything piece by piece and replacing all seals and gaskets?

Or is it a situation where you'll start having lots of other problems because of wear and tear on things for 13 years?

I don't want to put a lot of $ into it but if it will run better, get better mileage, and stop the "clicking" I hear from the lifters - is it worth it? Or just do the seafoam through the intake manifold and adding it to the oil (along with mystery oil) for a couple days and change my oil?

My mileage has begun to suck.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
No real need to pull it apart to clean it. I would recommend a valve adjustment, that is the reason, for the clicking; I'm sure of it.

Just run some seafoam and you will be cherry.

If you would still like to clean the internals really good, there is a really cool trick to help out:
-Drain the oil
-Fill the block up with diesel just like you would with oil.
-disable the ignition so you do not get spark.
-crank the starter several time, but no longer then 15 seconds. let the engine sit, for 2minutes, and crank again.
-crank as many times as you wish until you feel your engine is clean.
-drain diesel, change oil filter, and fill up with oil just like an oil change.

Happy cleaning.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 05-16-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
No real need to pull it apart to clean it. I would recommend a valve adjustment, that is the reason, for the clicking; I'm sure of it.

If you would still like to clean the internals really good, there is a really cool trick to help out:
-Drain the oil
-crank the starter several time, but no longer then 15 seconds. let the engine sit, for 2minutes, and crank again.

Happy cleaning.
Just when I thought I knew all the tricks. Never heard that one before.

Clicking is most likely caused by valves being out of spec. Not real difficult to adjust. If you were going to take it apart to clean it, might as well throw a rebuild at it. But, you'll probably be okay with Seafoaming it and adjusting the valves. New plugs, wires and filters never hurt anything either...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeh, who needs Chevron-with-tecron? I heard about the trick about ten years ago. Works well if an engine was neglected, and never had an oil change, but I could never neglect my Yota.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't pull apart an OEM engine for no reason, it will never go back together with the same tolerances it had when you pulled it apart. Better off just leaving it alone.

If you want to clean it out do a water/seafoam treatment.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:44 AM

-Drain the oil

Happy cleaning.
Never heard that one before. I am about to buy a 97 4Runner that is "knocking" (just for parts basically) and I will try that with it first before I put it through my other 97.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by power10er
Never heard that one before. I am about to buy a 97 4Runner that is "knocking" (just for parts basically) and I will try that with it first before I put it through my other 97.
Thanks
Can also use marvel mystery oil (I tried this with great success, I made a thread a while back on the subject). Transmission fluid works as well. All sorts of home grown methods.

Once the engine is knocking though you are pretty much screwed. Maybe some thick oil will buy you some time.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-Drain the oil

Happy cleaning.
I usually use kerosene (cleaner than diesel) and a bit of gas. In the past when I did this to fords and chevy's, I was always amazed by the amount of gunk that would come out that oil pan.... Just gotta keep in mind, that you could be stirring a hornets nest with this trick, If thers enough gunk in there, the kerosene/gas can loosen enough to clog ur sump, and/or oil passages throughout the motor... just ask anyone who has owned a chrysler 2.7l