Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

woot woot, found one wiht not a million miles and affordable, waddaya think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woot woot, found one wiht not a million miles and affordable, waddaya think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=16

looks really clean, 4x4, V6, 4 door, only 116k, everything I was looking for. only thing is its an auto, but I have been reading around and I think if I had 5.71's (I know, less life) on 35's then I could live with an auto.

cant wait to get one of these and start the moddin/crawlin.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

V-6 POWERED BEAUTY IN NICE SHAPE! CALL FOR AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION.
TWENTYFIVE PERCENT OF OUR BUSINESS IS REPEAT! WE HAND PICK OUR CARS AND ALWAYS BUY THE BEST ONES. RICHS CAR CORNER HAS BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 7 YEARS AND QUADDRUPLE IN SIZE. OUR MOTTO IS TO BE FAIR AND HONEST AND EVERY THING WILL TAKE CARE OF ITS SELF. STOP BY AND SEE OUR 120 PLUS CARS AND TALK TO BRIAN CHRISTINA OR GLEN
Why couldnt they list an accurate description in the ad? Why did they take up all that space for a shameless plug about their company? The 4Runner looks ok, but go into this one as a true skeptic. My first thought is that they are hiding something. Whatever you do, pay the $50 to have someone inspect it if it is something you really want. Best of luck!
Old 03-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

Skeptic#2

I dont trust dealers. Bottom line. Having owned and 3.0 auto, I would wait until a 5spd comes along in your range. Good luck with what ever you do!
Old 03-06-2004, 01:09 AM

well, I am gonna ask about having something written in the contract about deal only valid upon dealer inspection, have to ask my mom how she had it wrote up a couple years ago when i bought my stang, I got to drive it home and take it to our mechanic on the island and if he said dont do it I could have taken it back. something like sale of vehicle contingent on mechanics approval or somehting like that? and most of the dealer ads are like that that I have seen, always call for details and the rest of the ad is bs about how long theyve been in business or how easy it is to get financing or how they sell all quality reliable cars at affordable prices...... blah blah. anyways if I get this, I should have the extra to get some tires/gears and while I am putting in the new gears maybe a rear locker. how hard are the gears to install, I have rebuilt a VW 1600, swapped auto to manual, done honda clutches, so I can do mechanical things, never doen gears though, my dad was saying you paint them, then install them and spin them around and see how the paint wears and shim them til they mesh correctly, is this how you do it? and with the detroit ez locker, its the ratchening type so when going around corners is it very noisy and does it jerk the truck around alot? any other lockers to look at.

and what do you think of these tires,

http://www.desertrat.com/interco/ssw...sl_ltb-200.jpg

31/11.50's are only 97 each, Im considering 5.29's with 31's initially and then when I get the clearance I will go woith 33's, if I end up with enough though I might go with a pro comp 4" lift, 5.71's and 34/10.50's that are 115 each. so far cheapest I have found the lift for was 875 shipped. I saw a nissan pickup where it looked like the guy made his own lift out of 1/4" flat stock that he just cut and welded a arm drop brackets, this might be a dumb idea but could I just buy flat stock, cut and weld some lower control arm drop brackets, and then you tweak the torsion bar to bring the upper arm down right?, then I could just make spacers to drop the diff, not sure of what to do with steering though, is just a drop arm all thats required? and for the rear and a bit more in the front can I just fab up coil spring spacers, I know I can do the pan hard rod drop, and can get longer brake hoses. If I buy it though i will most likely drive it for a few weeks to listen for any noises/ look for leaks and fix anything before I spend money on mods. and just so you know, I am almost 99% sure I have access to a lathe/mill/maybe the cnc mill, stick, and mig welders, a tig too but ive never used it.

and about gears, when it says OEM, isnt that original euipment manufacturing or something, toyotas never had 5.71's though right? cuz on drivelinesuperstores it has 3 choices of gears, OEM, motive, Precision. I found Genuine that cost about the price of motive gears but I heard that genuine was crap, only from 2 people though.

sorry for asking SO MANY questions but I have one of them minds where once Im on something I am obsessed til I know almost all there is to know, think I got some disease.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:16 AM

didnt see the 2nd til i got done typing, what gears you have? what size tires? what all extra weight you had on there? not good for just freeway cruising or bad for everyday?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:25 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with 96...it seems that they want to sell you more cars with the ad. Why not sell you this one with more of a description...and more pictures!

does look real nice at this distance.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by maddmatt02
didnt see the 2nd til i got done typing, what gears you have? what size tires? what all extra weight you had on there? not good for just freeway cruising or bad for everyday?
Had 31x10.50 AT tires, I believe 4.56 and not much weight. Would always search through gears on hills, cruising 55-65 level was fine but any faster or on hills would strain it. BUT I think I had some issues going on. After 7 months it was trying to overheat going over the coast range so I think the headgasket was wanting to give out. Anyway it got wrecked and even with an auto the 3.4 is much better.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

OK, I dont understand something. You say you are going to do gears and a rear locker, etc. etc...

Why dont you just use that "extra" money and get yourself into a 3rd gen or a lower mileage 2nd gen?

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-06-2004 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:46 AM

that 4Runner is right by my school (shoreline cc). i drive by it every weekday. i kinda agree with 96. if your gonna be putting in a rear locker and what not, why not just a 3rd gen? also if you drive north of that place about 2 or 3 blocks, there is another place that has at least 2 other 4Runners and last time i looked, whatever the chevy dealer is up there next to carter subaru had a 2nd gen as well. looked pretty clean. but you do realize, that once you do get into a 4Runner you gotta join wa4Roc right? hahahahaha

Wa 4Roc is one of the biggest chapters (at least 7 members), but we're always looking for more people to come and join the fun. go check out 4Roc.org its still under construction though.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:40 AM

for sure id join, and im guessing the 3rd gen is the 96+, and the 1000 bucks its gonna cost me for gears, rear locker, tires isnt even close to enough to get me into a 96. I searched wihtin 200 miles of my house and put the pricre all the way to 9k and still only came up with 4 of them. cheapest priced at 7k and it is 4 cylinder.

and there is 4 pics, not alot but form thew inside shots it si very clean in there and the 2 body shots have it looking good also.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Keep your eye on ebay. I have seen more than 1 3rd gen with similar mileage as the 2nd gens you are looking at go for $8K or less.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6442

2nd gens

And there are plenty more...
Old 03-06-2004, 05:28 PM

http://classifieds.nwsource.com/auto...n=108&p=5&p1=4

ok you need to look on other sites as well dude, not just auto trader, they never have much in the way of toyotas for some reason. the link above is nwclassifieds and there are tons of 2nd gens on there. i wish there were this many when i was looking. and if you want i could go take a look at that red one for ya on monday after school.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:29 PM

oh yeah, that would be cool if youd stop by real quick and post what you think of it, I got no transportation and am on whidbey so it isnt easy to get over there. and if there is tons of 2nd gens, ist that the 90-95's he was telling me to get 3rds, and yes that one is real nice, the first one but I would have to fly there and drive for days home or fly there, look/buy and then pay for shipping, who ships cars that i could call for quotes from NY to WA?

thanks.

should have the civic running by tuesday night if not late monday and tomorrow I am removing all seat covers and washing them in the machine and scrubbing carpet and door panel upholstery clean so it wil all smell new and look real good and then after I put the clutch in the teg Ill put both for sale. I hope to get about 8-9k for both but maybe only 7k, not sure. I actually got a bit of bumper repair to do on the teg first as well.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:43 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6442, I really like that one and colorado isnt really too far away either, I wont be able to get a loan before the end of it though so I have to wait for another deal to come around, i should probably wait til I get the money but I will look around and if I find a good one I migfht hoit up the bank on monday for a bit of cash, I doubt illl get the approval though, maybe.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:54 PM

I'm under the impression that 5.71's is a weak gear.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:50 PM

matt also take a look at the link that i provided. there are quite a few different 2nd gens 90-95 in different price ranges.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:33 PM

when i clicked the link it was alreayd on the 4 runners and there actually wasnt too many, only 5 under 6k, and about 3 between 6-7.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:35 PM

and yeah I heard that they wear quicker than say 5.29's but a guy got 40k out of his egnuine 5.71's and says genuines suck, so maybe with some top brand gears I could get 50k, I wont even have the runner for that long most likely. thats a few years. I have only driven for 4 years and have had 12 vehicles so if I keep the runner for over a year I will have improved.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:47 AM

TTT so its easy for kev to find when he comes to tell me about my runner

Quick Reply: woot woot, found one wiht not a million miles and affordable, waddaya think?