Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Woo-Hoo! Water pump goes out on first day of classes!

Old 08-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woo-Hoo! Water pump goes out on first day of classes!

Hey all!
Well, go figure. I just moved into an apartment in Charlotte and just started classes today (majoring in mechanical engineering). Well, after eating at Wendy's, I noticed a puddle of coolant under my 4runner. So, I figured I'd risk it and I drove about a mile to my apartment. Turns out it is leaking around the water pump housing. Great. Something else to do this weekend. Now, I just need to figure out how I'm going to get my crank pulley bolt remover tool I made from my house 2-1/2 hours away. Oh well. Just another thing to add to my list of repairs (besides new rotors/pads/bearings and shift solenoids) And to make it worse, my apartment complex doesn't allow people to work on their cars in the parking lot. What a pain this is. :cry:

Sorry, I had to vent.

Anyhow, do you all think I should replace my timing belt while I'm at it? The belt was changed about 55k ago. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Once I get the timing belt off, will I need any special tools to remove the water pump or water pump pulley?

Well, thanks all. Just need to figure out what I'm going to do here.
Have fun all
Daniel
Old 08-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, that sucks. That crank pulley bolt is a PITA to get off...Yes replace the timing belt its due in only 5k so you'll be pulling it apart in the middle of winter (wait I guess thats not as much of a prob down there ) I don't think you'll need any special tools...I'll run out to the garage and take a look here in a minute and see what's needed to do it. Good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

That sucks man, get it all done at the same time...its worth it!

I'm a mechanical engineering major too, good luck man.

Fink
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 PM

Hey,

FYI. Great write up and pics by Mike Ross from TTORA. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by DH6twinotter
Hey all!
Well, go figure. I just moved into an apartment in Charlotte and just started classes today (majoring in mechanical engineering). Well, after eating at Wendy's, I noticed a puddle of coolant under my 4runner. So, I figured I'd risk it and I drove about a mile to my apartment. Turns out it is leaking around the water pump housing. Great. Something else to do this weekend. Now, I just need to figure out how I'm going to get my crank pulley bolt remover tool I made from my house 2-1/2 hours away. Oh well. Just another thing to add to my list of repairs (besides new rotors/pads/bearings and shift solenoids) And to make it worse, my apartment complex doesn't allow people to work on their cars in the parking lot. What a pain this is. :cry:

Sorry, I had to vent.

Anyhow, do you all think I should replace my timing belt while I'm at it? The belt was changed about 55k ago. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Once I get the timing belt off, will I need any special tools to remove the water pump or water pump pulley?

Well, thanks all. Just need to figure out what I'm going to do here.
Have fun all
Daniel
Old 08-22-2005, 04:32 PM

Water Pump

You might think about replacing the thermostat too. It has to come out any way. Be sure and make sure the idler pullies are ok too.

I graduated with a CE degree. Never give up; even if you have to take a class or two over again.

-phatdawg
Old 08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Hey all,
Thanks for the help. I spent about 2-1/2 hours working on it yesterday. I've got the timing belt taken off and I'm about to take off the water pump. Does anybody know how to remove the timing belt tensioner (pre '92)? All the write ups explain how to do it on a 92 or newer with the hydraulic tensioner, but I'm not sure how to do it on mine. Also, is there a gasket behind the water pump, or do I just use some sealant around it?

I'm going to replace the thermostate too. Great idea. My idler pullies seem to be in really good shape. My timing belt was in pretty good shape too. I was kind of surprised, but I'm going to replace it anyways.

Thanks for the help you all.
Have fun,
Daniel
Old 08-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

For the tensioner all you need to do is pull off the spring then take out the bolt in the middle of the tensioner pulley thing and she'll slide right off.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, thanks for the help you all. I spent about 3-1/2 hours this afternoon working on it. Got it all finished. Everything went really well. Once I took out the water pump bolts, it took a while for me just to get the pump unstuck. I used the back of a wrench to hammer the tensioner off. I got the timing belt ligned up on the first try. I couldn't believe it! Last time it took me 12 tries to line it up correctly. So, I was really happy about that. I runs really good now. Before, the old belt was always a half a tooth off no matter what I tried. This one ligned up perfectly, so it runs great. No more coolant leeks either! Woohoo! All in all, it took me about 6 hours to do the job. Beats going to the dealership!

Thanks for all the great help.
Have fun all.
Daniel
Old 08-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, sorry about having no pics. I wanted to, but I don't have a digicam. :cry:

I was freekin' out about the tensioner at first. The tensioner was rusted a bit where it connects to the pin on the water pump housing, so I thought it was all pressed on. I wouldn't have had any way to get it off if it was. I did everything out in the school's parking lot, so I didn't have any press available.

Well, thanks again to everyone!
Have fun all.
Daniel