95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WM6 OBDII, Beginner tuning of the 3.4L

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WM6 OBDII, Beginner tuning of the 3.4L

Hey guys and gals,
I wasn't toooo sure where to put this b/c I have a few questions as I'm about to jump into the tuning arena and have a bunch of quesitons. I'm going to be getting one of these puppies tomorrow and would love to be able to get some OBDII scanning software on there and if anyone stumbles across any please let me know!

Samsung i760

I really need to tune the 4Runner better and was wondering if a scan tool/software would be the best place to start? It appears that it would be more versatile and exact than using the logs than just a Wide Band? I know a lot of you have extensive experience with tuning the 3.4L, will my 96 be able to spit out what I need? If I recall, the 96s have some weird OBD setup? Does the OBDII interface deal with all the proper mixture measurements I would need to get this puppy running better? I have an SAFC-II which I know isn't the best for this application but it does work for now and while its in I figure I might as well get it doing the best it can until I go with something that has Timing control etc. My buddy wanted to put megasquirt on it but at this point, I don't know if thats going to happen and want to get my truck running better. Would the OBDII give me the same info as a wideband? I'm going to be keeping my eye out for this so please PM me if you come across anything good. I see they already have bluetooth OBDII adapters on the market, I think this would be a very useful tool to have with a smartphone...

Thanks for any help and forgive my Noob-ness! Ps, I did search and wasn't coming up with much, there is a lot having to do with what computer to go with and how the SAFC is just a band-aid but for the time being, its whats installed and I need to start somewhere. Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Austin, the OBD II setup on your 96 is the same as any other year 3rd gen. If you are tuning for a supercharger, there is really no substitute for a wideband O2 sensor. You can do a bit more if you have an A/F sensor up front like on the 99-02 4runners, but your vehicle only has (2) O2 sensors. The best software for PDAs that I have found is the Auterra setup whose link you can find in my sig, but it only runs on a Palm OS. They also have a version that works on a laptop via USB if that is an option for you too. The combo of the Auterra and the wideband O2 should get you all the info you need to tune your truck as well as it can be.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

What's a descent wideband? My buddy had one in his Audi but I can't remember what brand it was... Any suggestions...? A standard gauge would be awesome, that way I can just replace the autometer AF gauge thats currently in the truck but only works while in open loop and doesn't give numerical values. I'll look into that software, I could load XP on my MacBook but I'd really rather not have to buy xp just to run some OBDII software. The new version of WM also handles excel so if changes need to be made, I can do them right there on the smartphone w/o the need for a laptop. I hope someone comes through and offers it for WM6. WM5 was garbage so I'm assuming thats why they didn't bother making any software for that os, but 6 seems to be MUCH better. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

noob with 4600+ post that is funny!

How's it going Austin. I'm 4Runnerless and it sucks! Still got a Taco though. Finish art school??