See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Wiring for trailer on '99 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring for trailer on '99 4Runner

Hi, I'm new to this site and fairly new to my 4Runner. I have a 99 4Runner SR5 that didn't come with a tow package. Found a hitch off a used parts place and installed it. Now...I want to wire it for towing a trailer and see no access panel to get to any wiring. I've called a couple dealerships and they tell me I can't use a "plug and play" on this and must take off the taillight and cut into it there, feed the wires out the bottom of the taillight and somehow hide and secure all the wires on the outside of the vehicle. Does this sound right? Never heard of such a thing in my life!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:07 AM

I'll have to check on mine. I have a plug and play. I didn't install it, it was there when I got the 4runner. I know it doesn't go into the tail lights as I've had both off and not seen any trailer wiring. I would suggest you go to Uhaul or Kragen and look at the trailer wiring kits. Open one up and read the instructions then go home and crawl under the truck.
My old Chevy tapped into wires that were between the 2 tail lights. What are you towing? If it's a bigger trailer and you're running power to it, it won't be a plug and play.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM

I recently did this on my 97 and the plug and play ones do tap into the tail lights but it is just pluging them in there - not actual wire cutting/splicing. You can hide the wires behind the plastic panels and under the plastic cover on the floor of the rear cargo area. I had to drill out a larger hole in the body to route the wires out to the hitch - but it's all pretty much hidden. Here's the version I got... http://www.performanceproducts4truck...1&cid=4&sid=63

John
Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 PM

How are the 4Runner with the towing packages added from the factory wired??
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM

I just replaced my harness. On my 99 4Runner there is a square hole in the left rear cargo area that is under the carpet. There is a rubber plug in the hole and my wiring just ran through a hole cut in the rubber plug. It's pretty much weather proof. I have a factory tow package on mine so I guess it could be different from your's but I doubt it.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:25 PM

They do make a simple plug and play for your vehicle from Hoppy Traler wriring.
Use this site for help.
http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin...model=4-Runner
Hope it helps....
Old 07-22-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by willardtx
They do make a simple plug and play for your vehicle from Hoppy Traler wriring.
Use this site for help.
http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin...model=4-Runner
Hope it helps....
Does anyone know if its possible to get just the cable that goes from the converter box to the trailer? It is shown in the upper left corner of the image from the quoted link above. The cable has 4 wires, standard trailer light connector on one end and a square connector on the other end.

I called toyota and they tried to sell me the whole deal including the converter box for $109. Does anyone know if the cable I'm talking about is a standard cable? Or where to get it?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm reviving this old thread to ask for some elaboration on the topic. My 2000 4Runner has the oem tow package. However, the wire for the running lights seems dead (meaning brakes and turn signals work, but not running lights).

So...I obviously need to fix something. The 4 pin plug wire just goes into the chassis into never never land. I’m trying to locate the "factory" converter that converts the 6 wire signal to the 4 wire output. I'll hopefully only need to replace the wire out of the converter, but more likely will need to replace the converter. And no, I don’t think mine is plug-and-play compatible. There is no place to make the "T" connection, at least not in the normal place at the tail lights.

Anyone solved a problem like this? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Mike I had the same problem with mine and I couldn't find just the converter. I had to buy the whole wiring harness. When I researched the problem, I found that failure of the converter is rather common on the 3rd gen 4 runners.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by WEINERDOGBONE
Mike I had the same problem with mine and I couldn't find just the converter. I had to buy the whole wiring harness. When I researched the problem, I found that failure of the converter is rather common on the 3rd gen 4 runners.
Thanks. That's what I figured. I just installed a new Hoppy LiteMate universal converter, along with a new plug wire. The converter was behind some trim panels. What a PITA (4 hours of my life, missing), but at least I'll have reliable trailer lights.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:02 AM

trailer converter 99 limited 4runner

I removed the driver side panel but can not find this converter box everyone talked about..i also have trailer light issues and figured i would check the location before buying the aftermarket. At the wheel well, i see the gas flap mechanism but dont see any converter box..any suggestions thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Is yours the factory Towing package or After market??

Do you use a 4pin flat plug or a 7 pin plug??

Some after market boxes are on the outside under the truck most often mounted on the frame or hitch on the left side.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:05 PM

Remove the OTHER side

Originally Posted by olhobbler
I removed the driver side panel but can not find this converter box everyone talked about..i also have trailer light issues and figured i would check the location before buying the aftermarket. At the wheel well, i see the gas flap mechanism but dont see any converter box..any suggestions thanks

I just replaced my converter on my '97 4Runner. The OEM 'tailight converter' is on the passenger side in the trunk.

To do it right, you need to remove both side panels in the trunk, but you may decide to try and 'sneak' it in. I prefer to just take everything apart to gain complete access. To do that you need to remove the trim panel holding the carpet down accross the back of the trunk, the overhead panel containing the trunk dome light, and the small panels holding the carpet down inside the rear passenger doors (at least on the passenger side for sure). Then you can remove the big panel that goes around the whole trunk window. Just pull hard straight out. What you are looking for will be directly in front of the tail light down in a little hole barely large enough to fit your hand in. It is double-sticky taped in. I pried it off with a flat blade screwdriver. Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by olhobbler
on my 99 Limited the converter is on the driver side behind the panel in the cargo area,follow the wire from the hitch plug if you have one.mine stop working and i replaced it with Hopkins wiring kit 43415.it's a plug in kit easy to install.converter goes on passenger side opposed to the factory one that goes on driver side.mine works perfect now