Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wiring lighted rocker switch/ fog light relay wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring lighted rocker switch/ fog light relay wiring

OK so I have been searhing this and other forums in search of specific details on how to wire up a lighted rocker switch for my 7th gen/2004 tacoma.

I have the fogs wired directly to the battery for power and I have a Toyota OEM three prong lighted fog light rocker switch. The switch works fine, n problem there. But I'm having trouble getting the LED light to work. I can tap into a fuse in the uder dash fuse box to get it power but it stays on all the time and I don't want that. I only want it to light up when the fogs are on.

The second thing I want to do is wire the fogs to a relay so that they are only on with the low beams. I have a 30amp relay with 4 prongs and I think I know how to do this. I found several drawing on this site that show how.

So the question I have for this is, how do I tap into the low beam headlight circuit so that the fogs are synced with the low beams?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok not a direct answer to your question but some suggestions and a great illustration as to how to wire up fog's with switch. You can go from there. I would tap into the low beam circut at the fuse block for the power to the switch to activate the relay to achieve the results you looking for. Or wire it like the drawing shows to be able to select when you want them on. As you can see in the drawing, the power for the switch light would be piggy backed off of the output from the selector to the relay (which allows the light only when the switch is in the "on" position).

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...h/foglites.htm

Last edited by PirateFins; 11-01-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
possible answer to the LED part of the ? - the power to the LED has to come on the same time as the power to the lamps other wise it will stay on all the time (the problem). usually the third leg of a SPST lighted switch will go to ground to get the powered LED to come on when it is switched.
you will be able to get the LED to switch on-off w/o having the lamps connected, just the 12V to it. you are only switching the +12V through the switch to the lamps.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 AM

ok the relay that I bought is a perterson maufactureing brand. The instructions say pin 87 = battery
pin 86= switch
pin 85= ground
pin 30= load

some of the drawings are labeled differently so I'm assuming that the pin numbers go with specific brand relays and may vary...?

I wired it up this way with the realy ground to the same spot as the negative terminal on the battery. The wire to the positive battery terminal has a working fuse( ie. not burnt out) between the battery and the relay. The wire coming from the fogs went to load/ pin 30 and the switch wire to pin 86.

I also wired the switch. It was ground to a spot under the dash where other wires were ground and the wire from pin 86 attached to the other prong

I tried splitting the swtich wire to go to both the indicator and the hot terminal on the switch.

nothing

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 AM

Try using a ground other that the same one the battery is using. I had the same problem when I wired my Hellas up, took a quick call to the tech guy...silly me. I've got a spot I use to ground all of my accessories to, not the greatest idea (not going into the thory of why not) but I don't have much on it so it'll be ok. just my $0.02
Old 11-01-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vinman

The second thing I want to do is wire the fogs to a relay so that they are only on with the low beams. I have a 30amp relay with 4 prongs and I think I know how to do this. I found several drawing on this site that show how.

So the question I have for this is, how do I tap into the low beam headlight circuit so that the fogs are synced with the low beams?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.
You need to find the hotwire behind your headlights to your lowbeam and jumper off that to pin 86 on your relay. You need to run hotwires from pin 30 to your fog lights. The fog lights ground can go to frame or any other good ground. The hot pin on the relay can go directly to battery. And the ground side of your relay should go to frame also.

There are tons of ways to do this but this will get the result you are looking for ... are you sure you want to have the fog lights hooked to the lowbeams all the time? It gets dangerous in West Virginia when ya beam someone too many times.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:13 PM

ok I'll try moving the ground and see what happens.

fog lights have a good ground on the bumper.

so no I just need to connect the fog hot wire to the low bean hot wire?

thanks

Vin