Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wiring help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring help please!

I have a Uniden Bearcat 350A police/fire scanner mounted in my 4Runner. I have the power cable run to the fuse box and pinned in by a fuse, the cigarette one. So basically, it only works when the key is turned to Accessory or it is on. But what I have found, and this is my theory, is that because of this and the other accessories that are using the juice, the scanner does not work as well. For instance, when I turn on my turn signal and there is something being said on the scanner, it cuts out everytime the turn signal is turned on. That and the radio ect. seems to do the same thing. So I need some help...
What I would like to do is have it so that the scanner is on all the time, whether the 4runer is on or off. I guess that I am essentially wiring right to the battery. But my question is this, do I have to hook directly onto the battery, or can I hook somewhere else. I tried all the fuses in the box and they only work when the key is turned to acces., etc. Can I hook into something or tap something without having to go through the firewall and right to the battery. I have an empty fuse slot, can I use that?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :fireman:
Old 09-03-2003, 01:15 PM

Question This is just an assumption?

Doesnt the scanner use AC? current or is it DC? What I am wondering is if you need what I needed when I installed my scanner in my Runner. I had to get a current adapter from Radio Shack that simply plugs into the multi plug unit for the cigarette lighter. I have never had any problems with wierd noises. I would think that it is a ground issue if you are getting interferance. Could you think of it like you think of your stereo system? If your stereo system is getting engine interferance then you have a poor ground I think. I am not positve on this but the cigarette lighter plug in is the easiest. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

The clock will have a constant 12V source that you can tap into. If you need a wiring diagram, let me know, and I'll print one from my Mitchells CD and scan it for you. Send PM for request.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ryan, sounds like you need to do the extra fuse box mod.
Look in the Tech section under Electrical for my write-up.
I have full time power for lots of stuff such as my off road lights, CB, extral duel 12 v outlet in the cab, ect.

It's a good mod to do, as you will find yourself wanting to add more stuff as time goes by.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:49 PM

Ryan, I have my scanner installed the same way as you and I dont have that problem. When you say "it cuts out" do you mean the voice on teh scanner or do you lose power to the unit. Its possible you need a filter so you are not getting feed back thru the unit from your electrical system.You may also have a loose connection. When i ahve all my emergancy lights (6 strobes total) headlights-radio-and scanner-sometimes heat or air. I dont notice a problem with my scanner.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:08 PM

If the circuit shares a ground with the blink that may be the problem.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the help so far guys. Here is another example. I am sure your 4Runners do this. When I turn on/off my stereo, the antenna goes up and down with the motor. Well, lets say that some is saying something on the scanner at the time I turn my radio off, well, as the antenna goes down, the scanner will stop talking and continue to scan, until the antenna stops, and then the talking will resume. It is like the power that is needed for the antenna is taken from the scanner and it somehow loses that power. Is this just me or is this for real. It happens that way with the blinker and the radio as well. I am thinking that it is drawing not enough power at certain times, thus, this is the problem. Thanks for the help so far! :fireman:
Old 09-07-2003, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

http://members.cox.net/rghceh/wiring.zip

Here you go, check this out.

34 electrical diagrams total, shouldn't be too many differences between the years....