Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winter tires

well winter is here in BC and i am wondering about my BFG M/T's i bought them in the spring and i don't know how they will perform in the snow and ice, anybody have any experience with these tires?
thanks
cody
Old 10-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat as you

I took them up the mountain last week and they did awesome in the powder. Not sure about street use yet though.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:28 PM

my brother has them on his nissan hardbody. they're great in powder, but on slippery roads they don't cut down to the road surface very good and it's kinda scary. generally the qualities that make a mud tire great in the mud is exactly what makes them bad in the snow. since i spend a lot of time in the colorado mountains, last year i decided to get some bridgestone winter dualers (truck version of the blizzak). they are great. i had one of the most stress free winters last year and i'm not dreading this winter.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

If you want tires that hook up on ice, the narower the tire the better. What you want to do is increse the amount of force per squre inch and therefore, wide mud tires do very poorly (this priciple is the reason studs work, the increse the amount of force per square inch exponentailly) compaired to winmpy stock tires.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:20 PM

I have run bfg mt's for 5 chicago winters, they work well enough if you know their limits. however, i feel more stable in most cute-utes. You wont have problems getting stuck, but due to no sipes, steering and braking can get interesting. i read some where that the bfg at was one of the best snow tires.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 PM

well i just got home from the snow outside and well my tires suck in the ices roads. they are good in the powder but i can;t turn or anything without sliding in the slippery stuff, i am looking for an aggreasive tire, prolly AT so i can just run them throught the summer, i have heard that the bfg AT is good in the winter but so maby people have them, i had hankooks when i first got my truck and they were really good in the snow but i wantes a better looking tire, i donno, i think iam just too picky. and i don;t want studs either lol, but we'll see i am gonna go to te tireshop tomorow and look at what the got
thanks
cody
Old 10-19-2004, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
If you want tires that hook up on ice, the narower the tire the better. What you want to do is increse the amount of force per squre inch and therefore, wide mud tires do very poorly (this priciple is the reason studs work, the increse the amount of force per square inch exponentailly) compaired to winmpy stock tires.
thanks for the tips, but i do know that the narrower tire is better, i ony have 10.5s so they are not too wide as is but thanks
cody
Old 10-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Back to your origonal question, my Mom drove to work every day all winter in Central Oregon for 3 years with those tires on a Blazer and never had any gripes. When they wore out we did have the new ones ciped which maded for much better traction than before on the ice.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 PM

Back to your origonal question, my Mom drove to work every day all winter in Central Oregon for 3 years with those tires on a Blazer and never had any gripes. When they wore out we did have the new ones ciped which maded for much better traction than before on the ice.

well my experience tonight was not a good one, i am gonna get some new ties, but i don't wanna cut into these ones, they are still about 65% at lowest so i just need some good new tires
cody
Old 10-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Memphis_Yota
well my experience tonight was not a good one, i am gonna get some new ties, but i don't wanna cut into these ones, they are still about 65% at lowest so i just need some good new tires
cody
Look into Bridgestone Winter Duelers or get some wintermasters and get them studded.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:51 PM

well a buddy of mine has a set of yokahama geolanders on rims and he wants $300 for them, which is really cheap, the fronts or brand new and the rears are at about 65-70% so i am gonna try these out and maybe put some studs in them, any ides?
cody
Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

I bet you can still use steel studs hu. Here in Oregon we have to use lame aluminum studs that brake off in the first year. Studs are definetly the way to go that's for sure. I used to drive to the mountain to go skiing at least once a week all winter and with 4 studs with 4wd I never once whent out of controll without recovering imediately. Never found the needs for chains eather. They were always suficent for every conditoin.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:00 PM

I bet you can still use steel studs hu. Here in Oregon we have to use lame aluminum studs that brake off in the first year. Studs are definetly the way to go that's for sure. I used to drive to the mountain to go skiing at least once a week all winter and with 4 studs with 4wd I never once whent out of controll without recovering imediately. Never found the needs for chains eather. They were always suficent for every conditoin.
yes i can still use steel studs here in BC, but i don't really know how the geolanders do in the snow and ice, i have only heard mixed results, some people love em and some people don't but thanks
cody
Old 10-20-2004, 08:08 PM

I've had 5 sets of BFG AT KO's over the years and have a set of bridgestone REVO's right now. Both tires get around awesome in the snow, ice rain, ect..I would put either tire on any vehicle my family is driving.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

I'm stuck with my MT's this winter.
Think dropping the pressure would help at all? I'm sitting at 30 right now.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scofco
I'm stuck with my MT's this winter.
Think dropping the pressure would help at all? I'm sitting at 30 right now.
doesn't adding more pressure for winter tires help for the ice? i always thought that you wanted less tire on the ground for ice but not sure, aybody can correct me if i am wrong
cody
Old 10-21-2004, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

I thought that is was so strange when I was in at my in-laws house in Bend last winter. Everyone had studded snow tires, even the 4wd's. I was puzzled as to why they had them, then I drove to Mt. Batchlor and noticed that you guys use lava rock for "ice melt".
Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mike_d
my brother has them on his nissan hardbody. they're great in powder, but on slippery roads they don't cut down to the road surface very good and it's kinda scary. generally the qualities that make a mud tire great in the mud is exactly what makes them bad in the snow. since i spend a lot of time in the colorado mountains, last year i decided to get some bridgestone winter dualers (truck version of the blizzak). they are great. i had one of the most stress free winters last year and i'm not dreading this winter.

Hey if you don't mind and if you remember how much were your bridgestone winter dualers and what size dis you get? and is this american or canadian dollars? thanks
cody
Old 11-02-2004, 05:41 AM

We just put a new set of Bridgestone Blizzak's on our 98 and from what I can tell they are the same or nearly the same tread and compounds as the dualers. So far with the foot and half of snow we had a couple of weeks back the snow perormance is great. Ice traction was great in the limited opportunities we had to try them out in. Ice around here can be alot of different animals depending on temperature and the amount it gets polished down during heavy traffic so a real verdict on ice performance will come a bit later in the winter. Dualers and Blizzak's are available in alot of sizes and we were able to find them in the stock size for our Runner. All in all it cost us about a thousand Canadian to tire up for the winter. Check out the Bridstone website as they have tire selectors to aid in finding a tire size for your application. We have run Blizzak's on one of our Supra's the last 3 years and they are unstoppable. To be honest we actually got the runner stuck with it's all seasons with the 4wd and diff locked while the Supra walked right through on Blizzak's
Old 11-02-2004, 04:45 PM

winter tires...bridgestone dueler revo

Bridgestone Dueler Revo's are an amazing snow tire. I have never been more impressed. They have taken care of me in extreme winter's around the adirondacks and upper new york. When these wear out I'm getting another pair. The need for winter tires for me is no longer. I run REVO's year round.
ps-revo's are a bitch if you drive gravel roads alot as they tend to pickup every pebble and then become incredibly un-balanced. I have had to get out and manually pick out rocks beside the highway because they were throwing the balance way off.....
PRAY FOR SNOW!