Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Problems

Well...my back left window just decided to stop working. It will go down all it wants but it won't go back up.

Is there anything I can do right now to get it back up in case it rains until I can get it to the shop and have them rip it apart and fix it? Thanks guys!

Old 07-18-2003, 08:07 AM

I've had the wires come loose on my passenger window control (the switch on the pass. door). I've never had to do more than carefully pop the switch panel off and wiggle the wires on the back side of the switch and the window would come back to like. Last time I did it I forced a few wedges (really nothing more than wood splinters) alongside each connection and haven't had a problem since. One day I'll redo the connections but for now it works. Long story short - make sure the wires on the back side of the window switches are all tight before you pay a shop big bucks to it. If you panels come off as easy as mine it should only take you about 3-5 minutes per door.

If it is a switch it would either be the one on the drivers door, or the one that's not working.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

How do I get the panel off? I'm a newbie...once more...to this whole thing. I called my local Toyota dealer and asked them and they gave me a huge set of instructions that I KNOW I won't be able to do.

Hopefully you're not talkin about the whole door panel...just the little panel covering the switches right?

Thanks man!

Old 07-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

So the switch at the drivers door and the switch at the back left window will not work?

If that is the case, then you will need to pop the entire panel off the door. Its held on by rivets, and a few screws. But the first time getting the panel off will be a pain. It was for me, and I have a lot of tools.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well here's the thing...the switch on the driver side door didn't work at all.

The switch on the left side passenger (the side that has the bad window) would only work when trying to get it down...not up.

Sounds like it's a more serious problem than just some loose wires huh?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:31 AM

Still could be wires (i'll bet you a $1 it is). I've seen a lot of posts on this same thing on a number of sites. Did you you post this on 4x4wire? If it wasn't you than someone else has a very similar problem.

First - your door panels are different than mine so I shouldn't make to many assumptions BUT, on my truck the switch panel comes off the arm rest WITHOUT removing the door panel.

Second - that fact that powere is getting to the motor (to put the window down) tells me there is a broken circuit somewhere. Circuits loop upon themselves when there are multiple controls for the same action (window).

Yes - taking the whole door panel off is a pain, but if your switch panel can be removed seperately, it'll definitely be worth checking out. Actually, if it's anything like mine at all, you'll have to remove the switch panel to get to some of the screws holding the door panel on.

Note: none of my wires were hanging loose, I just wiggled them and had full power back from all the controls. If you go this route just push each wire back in one at a time and check the window operation from both locations.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:33 AM

I have some trouble with my back windows on my 1995 as well, seems like the motors are a lil tired. I dread the idea of having to dig them out.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Well Bean, you were right about the panels. I just got a thin flat-head screw driver and popped the cover off and the connections there looked fine.

But...the funny thing is...now it works. What I did was just popped the cover off to look at it and see what was goin on. Everything looked fine, I unplugged the wire, blew in it to get some of the dust off and then put it all back together and it still didn't work. Probably about 15-30 minutes later...I came out to start my truck and cool it off before I had to go take my mom to pick her Honda Pilot up from the dealer and the window worked. I haven't tried it again...but I think I will leave the Window Lock on until I am for SURE that it is going to be able to go back up.

Thanks for all the help, sometime this coming week or the week after I will take it somewhere to have them work on it.

Thanks again!!

Once again this board has saved me time and money!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM

i also need some help i have a 1994 4runner and all my power windows and locks do not work and i cannot figure it out. i checked the fuses and they looked fine. i just manually rolled up the sun roof which is a huge pain. and im trying to figure out how i can roll up my driver side windows both front and rear.
Any solutions on what could be causing it to do that?
the weird thing is it was doing this issue and i left my keys in and killed the battery and had my dad jump it with his f250 which has two batteries and then it worked and now it does not work. i tested my battery and it was real low then but did not need to be replaced. im lost on what i should do next

Last edited by jonky876; 01-04-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Holy Old Thread Batman.

The fact that both your locks and windows have stopped working makes me think it's a relay or something other than just a dirty/faulty connector or connection.

Are there any other accessories or electronics that aren't working?

Fink
Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 PM

no everything else is working fine the lights work and also the back window works fine but i have an alarm system the controls the back window rolling up and down.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jonky876
no everything else is working fine the lights work and also the back window works fine but i have an alarm system the controls the back window rolling up and down.
And you've checked all the fuses/relays?

Also, one thing I learned back in the day - just because a fuse doesn't completely look busted, doesn't mean that it's working.

All it takes is a hairline crack for them to become faulty.
Fuses are also really cheap, you may just try replacing any fuse related to those functions and see if that helps.

Just my $.02, as always,

Fink
Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 PM

yeah i check the fuses and they looked fine and i might as well try and replace them. i dont know where any relays are for that fuse do you know where i would be able to find them?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Use a multi-meter to check continuity through the fuse to see if its bad or not. Most electronics are simple if you make them simple. first eleiminate the obvious, fuses is a good start. If you can get a copy of the circuit diagrams to see what is common between the items not functioning. Start by eliminating the items in the circuits, power comes in at one point and goes to ground. If it doesn't operate then there is an open some where. The trick is finding the problem, broken wire, open or damamged switch, open fuse etc. Using a multi-meter can help to eliminate alot of components and help you to isolate the offending component, I hate chasing trons too so good luck
Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Use a multi-meter to check continuity through the fuse to see if its bad or not. Most electronics are simple if you make them simple. first eleiminate the obvious, fuses is a good start. If you can get a copy of the circuit diagrams to see what is common between the items not functioning. Start by eliminating the items in the circuits, power comes in at one point and goes to ground. If it doesn't operate then there is an open some where. The trick is finding the problem, broken wire, open or damamged switch, open fuse etc. Using a multi-meter can help to eliminate alot of components and help you to isolate the offending component, I hate chasing trons too so good luck

Fink
Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM

thanks for the help i foun d the relay switch finally and when i pulled it out it sparked and when i looked at it one of the cables that is seated on the board was blown. i dont know if that was from when i pulled it out or if that was the problem was. so on my next pay check ill replace it and see if that works and ill let you know.