Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

winch with stock bumper

Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winch with stock bumper

I have a winch laying around and I want to put it on the runner. I have seen pics of someone with a body lift and the top half of the bumper on but not the valance part. I don't want a front after market bumper so thats not an option.

Has anyone put a winch on with the stock front bumper? Has anyone done this without a body lift since I am not going to get a body lift?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you could mount up a front receiver hitch and use a cradle for the winch
Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
you could mount up a front receiver hitch and use a cradle for the winch
x2...that's about the only thing I can think of.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 AM

Then I would have to buy a front mount and a cradle and I rather not buy all that. I already have a mount for the winch so if I could find a way to put it on the front behind the bumper. I am sure some one has some info or done it
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cant possibly see a way to make it work without some type of non-stock bumper
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
CJM

You cannot connect the winch to the stock bumper period and expect it to not rip off the very first time you try and pull with it.

You either need an aftermarket bumper or a good cradle setup like a front receiver mount. Otherwise whatever else way you connect it means it will rip off the bumper when you go to use it.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 AM

Is it a Warn? Want to sell it?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM

it is a warn and No I don't want to sell it. I am going to make it work. haha.

And I Know it won't work ON the stock bumper. I am going to put it hopefully in between the frame rails BEHIND the stock bumper... THEN putting the winch fairlead flush or just ahead of the front bumper.

I am just wondering how much room I have to do this in and if anyone has done it.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM

I have seen something for fullsize trucks that mounts a winch behind the stock bumper. It is some type of spacer thing that pushes out the bumper to make room for the winch but it looks like it uses the stock bumper...

Maybe you could fab something that goes between the frame and the bumper that holds the winch?

Does anybody know what I am talking about or am I crazy?

edit: Doh! you beat me to it! ^^
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 AM

Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 AM

the difference between full size truck bumpers and toyota truck bumpers is that the full size truck bumpers actually have 1/4" molded plate behind them. The bumper you see is really just a plastic cover for the real bumper underneath, which is an ugly piece of thick steel plate.

Its not a good comparison.

Not to mention our bumpers, even if you could make some sort of reinforcement behind it, don't have enough room to fit a winch without either the winch hanging off the front of the bumper, or the bumper being so spaced out to the point it looked ridiculous.

Your only feasible choice is to get an aftermarket steel bumper, tube or plate.

Last edited by NicCantDecide; 07-15-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:22 AM

basically like that. I don't want to push the bumper out though. I think that would make it look ugly.

Tacos with the same front ends as us have done it so why can't we? Don't say my only feasible choice is and aftermarket bumper when you haven't tried to do it...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM

and it doesn't matter if it has a 1/4 plate behind the bumper or not. As long as you can bolt the winch to the frame you could have no bumper for arguments sake
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeepeater2003
Don't say my only feasible choice is and aftermarket bumper when you haven't tried to do it...
I like your attitude! Do it! make it work.......I'm sure it COULD be done...just wont be easy..

Do you plan on using a winch plate? or something custom?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM

that would be easy! what are you guys talking about??!

cut up some steel tubing to mount to the front crossmember, there's already holes drilled and tapped for that purpose.. for extra strength, you can tie it into the bolt holes for the tow hooks and even the bumper mounts, then bolt everything on top of that. also, have the cradle welded to the mount with a few gussets. you would have to cut up or remove your lower valence tho, and the winch would sit right about where the license plate was. all it will take is a peice of square tubing, a way to cut it up, and a friend, yourself, or a professional to weld it.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM

well I have a winch plate now that is bolted to it. To be honest with you I am at work and just thought of doing this so I haven't even looked underneith. I am going to try and use the mount I have now and either cut it to fit between the frame rails and then bolt it in through the sides of the frame. This is my idea. If I don't have enough room then I will try and mount it somewere between the frame rails were its not hanging down and put the fairlead where the front licsense plate would go so it is accessable. The winch would be the hardest part in mounting though...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not get a winch bumper? they look way better than stock. and are far stronger, as well.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm not saying its not possible, I'm just saying its probably gonna look like ass because the winch is either gonna hang below the bumper or you're going to have to cut a huge hole in the middle of the bumper. And if you choose the latter, well you might as well not have a bumper because it'll just flap around.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly bro, hang your pride, or whatever it is, and get a strong aftermarket winch bumper.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM

a strong aftermarket bumper is ATLEAST $500, would weigh the front down even more which would mean that I would have to spend MORE money to lift the front more to keep it level. It would ride worse since it would be heavier ( I am assuming) and I like the look of the front bumper.

Its not my pride or whatever you think I need to hang up. Its just other people thinking they know everything when they probly have not even tried to do this...

edit: I just went out and looked at the runner. The radiator hangs down between the frame rails and it looks like it is either not going to work or it is going to be CLOSE. I need to look at it some more tonight when I have time. I think if I move the front bumper out a little it looks like it could fit in there with the stock bumper...

Last edited by jeepeater2003; 07-15-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winch with stock bumper