Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Winch install questions

Old 08-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winch install questions

I just purchased a warn m8000 winch and have a yellow top battery. It's my understanding the the winch should be hooked up to the top terminals only. I also understand I can move my vehicles main power down to the side terminals. Here is what all accessories I have attached.

1. Hella 500 Fog Lights (55w bulbs)
2. Hella 500 Driving Lights (100w bulbs)
3. CB Radio
4. Kenwood Head unit
5. Kenwood 30W Amp
6. Thermometer/Voltage Meter

The Hella lights, Headunit, and Amp are the only accessories currently wired with indiv. leads to the battery. Everything is on the top terminals now. My impression is the Starter, CB, Head Unit, Amp, and thermometer can all be hooked up to the side terminals. Then Winch and Hella's (both sets) should be hooked up to the top terminals. Is this correct?

Also While I'm at it, installing the winch will I need to take the bumper off to fit it properly in the bumper? I hoping to work on this tonight.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by flyAddict

Also While I'm at it, installing the winch will I need to take the bumper off to fit it properly in the bumper? I hoping to work on this tonight.
Yup, you gotta pull the bumper to install the winch. Have fun!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

That's not an all bad thing. A body shop installed the bumper because i upgraded after a run with a telephone pole. Now I'll know exactly how it's connected. Can I swap out the fairlead without haveing to pull the bumper off again? (Right now I have a hawse fairlead if I want to later upgrade to a roller fairlead)
Old 08-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Can I swap out the fairlead without haveing to pull the bumper off again? (Right now I have a hawse fairlead if I want to later upgrade to a roller fairlead)
Yes, you just have to remove the hook and slide the cable through the new fairlead.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

I know someone who will either trade you a roller fairlead for a hawse fairlead or buy the hawse fairlead from you PM me!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation

Help. I've got the bumper off but the holes to mount the control box look like they're going to place it too far back. (warn m8000, arb bumper on 2nd Gen '95) Can anyone help ASAP, I've got to get this thing together before too late so my buddy can help me hoist it back on.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Never mind. Got it. There's a bracket! (wow i'm smart)
Old 08-16-2004, 07:16 PM

Fairlead

Anyone know where the cheapest place for a roller fairlead is? I found some on ebay for about $60 but I'm not sure about the quality. I'd prefer Warn.

Attached Thumbnails Winch install questions-yota03.jpg  
Old 08-17-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a brand new roller fairlead that came with my Warn 9.5ti - still in the box. I'll sell it - PM me if interested.

I also have the wire rope....
Old 08-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Question

Has anyone installed the Warn Hawse fairlead on the 2nd Gen ARB bull bar? The guy at ARB assured me I can install either a roller or hawse fairlead. I tried to line it up with the bottom winch mounting holes and it was about 3/4 - 1" low. My thinking is I will need to drill holes to mount it, however I don't want to drill the bumper unless completly necessary. Is there a better way?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:23 PM

My thinking is I will need to drill holes to mount it, however I don't want to drill the bumper unless completly necessary. Is there a better way?
You need to remove the vertical rollers from the fairlead and drill the fairlead bracket itself, your bumper's install sheet should have the location for drilling the holes listed. You will then use two bolts in place of the roller shafts for the vertical rollers.

As for the hawse fairlead just bolting on, he's full of $#it. Here's what I had to do to properly mount a hawse fairlead.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
I have a brand new roller fairlead that came with my Warn 9.5ti - still in the box. I'll sell it - PM me if interested.

I also have the wire rope....
Hey thats the winch I am looking at for when I get one! Do you have it hooked up yet?
Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shane
You need to remove the vertical rollers from the fairlead and drill the fairlead bracket itself, your bumper's install sheet should have the location for drilling the holes listed. You will then use two bolts in place of the roller shafts for the vertical rollers.
Now that I think about it, I don't think they said where to drill. I just bolted it on using the two big bolts for the rollers and marked where to put the holes from the back side, then removed it and drilled them out.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 914runner
Hey thats the winch I am looking at for when I get one! Do you have it hooked up yet?
Thanks
Still in the box unfortunately. I'm going to fab my own bumper, but I don't have all of my equipment set up yet...
Old 08-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

I know that in order to mount a roller fairlead you have to drill the roller bracket. It doesn't say anything in the install instructions about mounting a howse fairlead to the bumper. Are you saying mount the hawse without cutting and welding I'll need the bracket from a roller fairlead? I saw your ARB bumper mod before, very nice. But would like to avoid that much work, plus i can't weld (yet).
Old 08-18-2004, 05:52 PM

I know that in order to mount a roller fairlead you have to drill the roller bracket. It doesn't say anything in the install instructions about mounting a howse fairlead to the bumper. Are you saying mount the hawse without cutting and welding I'll need the bracket from a roller fairlead? I saw your ARB bumper mod before, very nice. But would like to avoid that much work, plus i can't weld (yet).
Ah, no. I thought you were asking about installing the roller type. If you look at this pic you'll see that the original hole for the cable isn't even in the correct place. To use a hawse you'll either have to drill new holes in the bumper to place it over this hole, which will put a lot of stress on the fairlead BTW with it having to hold the line up, or do what I did and put it where it's supposed to be which is in line with the tangent that the line leaves the drum on.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

gotcha. So at the bare minumum to mount a hawse fairlead for Synth Rope I would need to grind down the hole to line up with the tangent the rope leaves the drum. Of course while i'm at it, it makes sense to weld a new cross brace and lower support for the hawse fairlead, like your write up.

My other reluctance was to grind that much of the nice tough powder coat off. But I guess with the right pain it wouldn't be that bad. What pain would you recommend?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:19 PM

Of course while i'm at it, it makes sense to weld a new cross brace and lower support for the hawse fairlead, like your write up.
Not absolutely necessary, I just felt it looked wierd with the original brace and no rollers to fill the space so I changed it.
My other reluctance was to grind that much of the nice tough powder coat off. But I guess with the right pain it wouldn't be that bad. What pain would you recommend?
Rustoleum semi-gloss matches most powdercoats nicely. If you go this far it'll look best if you spray the whole bumper, black is probably the hardest color in the world to match exactly.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up Solenoid?

Shane, considering the work needed, I think I'm back to my original plan to get a roller for now and eventually upgrade to the synth rope and hawse. Thanks for your input.

On another note, is your solenoid mounted behind the bumper (as opposed to on the top with supplied bracket)? If so, what winch do you have and how did you mount the solenoid? Is it easy to access the plug for the remote?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:14 AM

I put the soleniod pack under the hood. Here's where ARB wanted me to put it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winch install questions