95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

winch cable snapping vid

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
winch cable snapping vid

Found this on ttora: www.willbchap.com/random/snap.avi

nobody was hurt. It's 9 meg, so it's not dialup friendly and as a consequence, I havent' seen it:cry:

this is from us va boys last trip to the gwnf...that taco was not in our group...some local. we were winching. the cable was attached to a snatch block that was attached to a tow strap that went around the guy's frame. i dont need to be told how to winch...i know...this was not me winching so save it. the tow strap was actually the thing that broke. that sent the cable and snatch block hauling a$$ backwards and into the truck that was winching. thankfully, he has an ARB bumper and there wasnt even a scratch and noone was hurt. im taken the vid btw. yall just be careful when winching...this could have easily killed someone

Last edited by Robinhood150; 04-26-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Dl'ing it now.
Took a while to connect to it.

The one on that Aussie video site I have posted a few times is a good one, but they slow the vid down and you can't make out what they are saying.

Oh man, just watched it.
It's like a gun going off.

Yes, this could have been fatal if someone was in the path of it.
This is a good reminder to practice safe recovery, and rig it the correct way.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SOB!! I have a whole new respect for those who winch, safely or otherwise....

steve
Old 04-26-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Corey
This is a good reminder to practice safe recovery, and rig it the correct way.
Can you give a never-been-in-the-dirt newbie quick outline on what was wrong with this picture? It's scary as hell to see... Was it the fact that the load was on the strap?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They said the tree saver that was wrapped around the axle was allowed to move too much and cut on something.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Sign me up for synthetic winch cable when I get a winch. Can you buy winches without steel cable?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I don't have a lot of experience winching, but from what I have learned, you never use a strap on a rig and hook a winch line to it.

A strap is for use around a tree, then you hook your line to it.
A winch line as far as I know should only be hooked to the stuck rig via reliable anchor point such as a shackle in a front or rear bumper, or via reliable tow point on the rig that can withstand the pulling power put against it.

That Taco stuck in the water was probably to much weight for the strap wrapped around the frame, and it just gave out.
I think most 2" straps are rated at 20 K lb?

It would have been best if had a hitch shackle like mine here, or a custom rear bumper with shackle mounts on it like Rob's truck here.

I forget the shear force for the pin for the hitch mount like I have, but the shackles themselves vary in shank diameter and weight limit as seen here.

That would not have happened to that Tacoma if it had the proper recovery points on it.

Here is a cool pic I scanned in from when I got my winch that shows proper rigging techniques.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/winching.jpg

Also a very good video to watch is the one on Ramsey's site.
It's 11.6 mb, and well worth the download.
http://www.ramsey.com/video/index.html

This link is also on our YotaTech on the web page.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got it. Thanks guys...

So the issue is that the strap wrapped around the frame is just silly since it's canvas and can easily get cut. But, when used around a tree, then the load on the strap is dispersed around the girth of the tree, and there aren't any sharp edges (and thus extreme load points) to cut into the strap.

Makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I think you summed it up quite well Mark on the tree strap.

That guy is deep enough too if he's going to play submeriner, he should be snorkelized.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think its a good idea to hook directly to a nylon strap either. I think you are supposed to use a D shackle to hold the ends of the strap together and then hook to the shackle. The stock Warn hook can cut through nylon straps on a heavy pull. Maybe the fancy other hooks out there are designed to hook to nylon straps, not mine.

I only hook to metal. Either tow hook, D-shackle, steel chain or truck frame. Never ever hook the hook to the cable or synth winch line.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cebby
WOW! Sign me up for synthetic winch cable when I get a winch. Can you buy winches without steel cable?
Warn says the warantee is voided if you use anything but steel cable. They say the steel disperses the heat better and Synth line holds the heat in, damaging the motor or solenoids or whatever. FWIW I have never overheated mine, I think that is BS. Also Warn says replace the steel cable after 3 pulls. That is without a doubt BS. The insurance and warantee lawyers are just covering their asses there.

To answer the question... No, at least not from Warn. I really doubt any other manufacturers offer winches with anything but steel cable either.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:58 PM

You can buy some warn winches from masterpull with the synthetic winch cable installed. but...$$$
Old 04-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Just watched the vid. I think the cameraman said it all. Definatly have a new respect for winching.

Paul
Old 04-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Also.. snatch/tow straps are made for an bounding pull.. a quick snack to streach and back down again.. hooking it with winch gives it a constant preasure on the strap.. If you look into it you may be able to find that tree savers are not tow straps and are made difrently for a difrent use than a snatch strap..
Old 04-26-2003, 08:58 PM

I was there and experienced it LIVE and let me tell you that video is nothing like the real thing.

The strap failed. It was wrapped around the rear part of the frame a couple of times and then both ends where connected to the snatch block (pulley) with a shackle. The strap ripped right in half and BANG. The second BANG was the snatch block impacting the wench truck's ARB bumper.

If anyone has any questions about that catastrophic wenching attempt let me know and I will try to answer them. All present that day are a lot smarter now. It was a major topic of descussion at ACE's party tonight.

Anyway, I just ordered a wench tonight that had them on sale for less then $500 and I jumped on it. I did it while at ACE's party. I think a few of use ordered one.

Now, anyone got any leads on the cheapest price for the plastic wench rope?? I have no intentions of using that sling shot steel cable.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 04-26-2003, 09:15 PM

Where did you get such a sweet deal on a winch? Damn, now I have 285 envy and winch envy. I'm going to have to go into therapy soon at this rate.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find that comprehensive article on rigging that was posted here at some stage, but I'm sure someone will know...

When you wrap straps of any sort around an object (and in this case twice around the axle) doesn't that decrease the amount of force it will take before breaking?
or perhaps I'm thinking of something else

I do remember that making a loop with a tow strap (feeding one end through the other) apparently has a severe impact on the load it will take.

That server seems to be very busy too
Old 04-27-2003, 05:03 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hilux, if you mean that rigging bible, I put a link to it at the very bottom of YotaTech on the web.

Gadget, I remember reading how you mentioned this happening, but I did not know it was the same vid as this one.

Rockstomper and Masterpull both carry the synthetic line.
I am running 100'x5/8" from Masterpull, and the big yellow (now red) safety hook they put on it.

Masterpull is located in WA. state.
Both RS & Masterpull's links are in the Vendor section.

I'm not sure if the RS line comes with the big hook or not.
But that hook alone is expensive, and a good safety item as it locks.
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te...94wd_stronger/

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/masterpull/
Old 04-28-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

I finally got a chance to view this vid; like Steve, I'm on dialup at home.

Wow, that was crazy.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by Victor
Where did you get such a sweet deal on a winch? Damn, now I have 285 envy and winch envy. I'm going to have to go into therapy soon at this rate.
I got it from Clemson four wheel drive supply in GA. A couple of us ordered them online at ACE's cook out. $499 SHIPPED!!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

Quick Reply: winch cable snapping vid