Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Will be purchasing 3rd Gen 4runner in the near future... I have a few questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
XSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will be purchasing 3rd Gen 4runner in the near future... I have a few questions!!!

Well, I'm going to be upgrading my ride for business purposes (need more room and a more aggressive look then a 4 dr sedan) and I absolutely love the 3rd Gen 4runner, so it's my prime candidate! I would like to give it a bolder look then stock, but I don't really want to go all out.

I would like to put larger off-road tires on her, I think i read that I can go with 31's w/o lifting the truck, but I may want to go w/ 33's if I can get by with a 1-2" lift.

Can I get by w/ this setup, or is there more involved?

If I went w/ the lift route, is there any reason why I should consider a suspension lift over body lift? I'd like to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, so I was thinking that a body lift would be more suitable for that... especially since there isn't any gain in suspension travel doing an easy suspension lift. (the additional ground clearance doesn't matter to me since I don't plan on going too far off road any time soon)

I would also like to make the truck stance wider, I'm not sure whether wheel spacers or properly backspaced wheels would be better suited for the job, but I'd like to go w/ 1" spacers or even 1.5" if the vehicles geometry allowed for it.

if spacing, I also plan on either custom glassing/welding some wider fender wells or adding on manufactured ones.

I plan on welding my own brush guard and skid plate as well as a roof rack, non of which should be a problem, but I noticed that most of the roof racks that you guys have on your trucks are only 4-5ft long... I'd like to make it so that I could pitch a tent and sleep on top of mine, lol!

as far as performance is concerned, I plan on running a CAI as well as full exhaust, though I haven't found any 3rd Gen headers as of yet. I also haven't found any other NA mods that might help (IE cam, port/polish intake etc) So if you guys have any ideas, do let me know.

this site has been great, you all have just recruited yourselves a new 4runner fanatic!

Thanks in advance!
-Nick
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

265/75s are the biggest tire you can fit with no lift.

3" is about the max you can lift a 3rd gen with minimal stress on the CVs.

Headers won't do much unless you are also SC'd and the only real power adder for a 3rd gen is an SC.
Deckplate mod adds the same amount of wheel HP as a $200 CAI.

The roof rack is only good for about 150lbs so you'd need to do some major reinforcing of the roof itself to hold more.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 PM

wheel spacers will do the trick, but wheels with backspacing will be better of course

with my 3rd gen, 265/70's were stock (converts to about 31"), so that's easy

it's a great vehicle, just be sure to get one with the rear locker, 4X4 (obviously), and i get great mileage with my 4cyl which has enough power for me, so that may be good a route to go.

as far as the tent/roof rack idea goes, you could always get one of those andventure trailers for that....just a thought

good luck, you WILL enjoy the 3RD gen for sure!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 AM
XSP

x-aw driver: I definitely intend on re-enforcing the roof-rack regardless, because there's no telling what all I will try to be fitting on there! The reason for opening up the exhaust would be for the future possibility of SC'ing it, though that wouldn't be until after i finish building my super seven project next summer. as far as the CAI is concerned, I'll most likely custom fabricate a ram-air version, so it will hopefully outperform the operation and cost much less then the $200 CAIs.

olsy1984: though a 4x4 would be nice, I really wouldn't use it much.. when I want to get somewhere where I can't take my car, it's usually somewhere where you can barely fit a 4wheeler, not to mention that I'm quite fond of RWD personally. so the 4x4 would just be added weight! those adventure trailers sure are cool, but I probably wouldn't get one unless I won it in a raffle or something ;-)

Thanks for the head's up on the wheels bit. anyone know what bolt pattern I need/what the proper backspacing would be to obtain an extra 1-1.5"?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you lifting the truck and getting bigger tires, etc. if you're not even going to go off-road in the thing? Is it just to get some attention for advertising purposes?

If you're ever thinking about reselling in the future, getting the 4x4 would be wise. Not too many people look for a 4x2 when looking for an SUV.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

There are several options for you. We sell OME (Old Man Emu) ARB products as well Genuine Toyota Parts. you can do a search for what you need or email Jacque here at info@TRDParts4u.com. He will be able to answer all your questions and give you some prices and options.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're nto taking it offroad, the 2wd is probably a better bet. Less weight, a touch better mileage. No cv's so you can lift without drivetrain worries in teh front, at least. The rear has a slip yoke.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
XSP

P-nut, Deathrunner pretty much explained my logic for the 2wd application. I will still be using it from time on trails ext, but nothing near as extreme as what goes on here!

Strap, thanks for the head's up.

Deathrunner, thanks for the heads up.

anyone know what bolt pattern/ backspacing I'd need for the 1-1.5" spacing???
Old 07-18-2007, 02:38 PM

well good luck to you man! i agree with pnut however, but it's your choice and what suits your needs! oh ya, welcom to yotatech!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM
XSP

Originally Posted by olsy1984
well good luck to you man! i agree with pnut however, but it's your choice and what suits your needs! oh ya, welcom to yotatech!!!
Thanks, man!